1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao #3 on nba.com list of top 5 defensive players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robywang, Apr 10, 2009.

1. robywang

robywang Member

2. mich

mich Member

Good to be recognized by nba.com. Thanks.

3. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Yao and Artest on the 2nd team... And Shane for honorable mention??? They are showing some H-Town LOVE!!!

4. boby

boby Member

Like most Yao haters come from China, most of these Yao doubters come from Clutchfans.

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

thats a surprise, i think he's an average defender. he's just really bad at positioning himself in the pick and roll

6. sew

sew Member

bout time Yao get some recognition for his defense.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

According to JVG " Yao's defense on P&R is like azz"

I think that is still true. :D

Nonetheless, finally some national recognition!

8. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

He really is, isn't he? He's an unmovable force down low because his legs are so ridiculously strong, he forces players to put more arc on any shots over him, and I love his shot blocking ever since Deke reminded him how tall he was. Funny how he seems to forget sometimes.

I don't want to see him even attempt to take a charge in the playoffs. If you wanna drive on Yao, your **** is going into the 5th row or you'll be picking yourself up off the floor. No layups!

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

The attributes that make him excellent as a post defender are also what makes him a horrible PnR defender...overall I would say he's a slightly above average defender, but in terms of post defence he's definitely in the top 3

11. WeBelieve

WeBelieve Member

I agree...one thing that Shaq is known to do that Yao hasn't is take a hard foul to prevent and one opportunities..it puts a little intimidation in the back of the mind of the opponent..I know that isnt Yao's nature though.

Outside of Pick and Roll with a top flight wing and a good shooting big man, i would say Yao is solid everywhere else. I think it's a joke to have lebron ahead of him, but with the year Cleveland is having....

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Great comparison. Of course he's going to struggle in space as he should with a man his size. Its only a couple of things I would like to see him improve on.
    I would like to see yao play lower and with leverage, play with his hands up, and give a hard foul. That's what shaq has done and it keeps gjys from always driving in without remorse. Other than that, he's cool.

13. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Based on the numbers, Yao has a huge impact on the defensive end. He just takes up so much space down low its hard to get anything easy.

One thing I've noticed this season is that he is getting alot better at knowing when to foul and when to just let the driver attempt a shot over him. The rockets are the best team as far as free throw defense. Some would say that alot of that is luck, but I think alot of that has to do with taking smart fouls when a bad free throw shooter is in position to make an easy bucket.

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

He does not get enough credit for his defensive influence....he changes how the other team has to play.... overall though our team plays great D as a unit.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Problem is that Orlando is #1 in defensive efficiency this year. Who are you going to attribute that too? Rashard Lewis? Hedo? Jameer/Alston were good but for the most part the credit goes to Dwight and SVG.

ESPN did their rankings today as well. Yao wasn't on there. Howard, Garnett, and Lebron I could understand since their teams are all top 3 in defensive efficiency. But Kobe, I can't agree with. For the most part he's like a better version of T-Mac when T-Mac was good four years ago--he can lockdown his man one-on-one when he is motivated to, but quite often he also cheats off his man way too much and gets his team burned. LA is decent defensively but not in the league of the top 3 teams, plus the Rockets who are fourth.

Artest or Battier should be on there somewhere.

16. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

I think when he wants to, Kobe is as lock down as anyone. Tracy has the length of Kobe, but he is not nearly as quick or as strong.

17. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

chuck hayes? werd

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

This is so damm overrated. Why the hell they continue giving Howard all the credit.

"The best Center in the league....Howard...best defensive player..blah blah blah." And then i see his azz can't do a damm thing against Yao. How do you explain that?? Oh he's the best defensive player "against" other crappy players...i get it now!! He's the best Center against the other crappy players...i get it now. Then don't compare him against Yao okay?? Because he ain't shyt compare to Yao!!! He's midget compare to Yao and he can't do anything against Yao offensively and defensively.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

that list doesn't include kobe so it's worthless.

20. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

How does he position himself wrong? What is he supposed to do? He cant come out and pressure the ball on the pick, he will get beat on the dribble everytime and if he overplays it then he leaves a huge mismatch with the opposing PF/C rolling to the basket.

He does exactly what is asked of him, he sags off and either makes the player shoot a jumper or gives another Rocket enough time to get back in position on the ball.

And if the opposing player passes it to the big man his is still in position to alter/block his shot.