1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao vs Dwight Article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketJoe, Apr 7, 2009.

1. sungohan

sungohan New Member

I do not think chris paul is better than Deron williams.
    If one of them can get a championship ring, I will bet my money on Deron.
    Chris paul is not as clutch as deron.

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Neither.

Yao in for free throw shooting situations, D12 in for grabbing the rebounds/defense.

3. aaarcher

aaarcher Member

u got it

4. manhore

manhore Member

Actually the HEAD-2-HEAD matchups are extremely important cuz playing 82 games is irrelevant if both teams played each other in the FINALS. That's when your OVERRATED HOWARD gets OWNED!!!

If Howard was Chinese and Yao was Black, you'd see ESPN go bananas over the Rox and treat the Magic as a step-child...

5. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

D Wright is a beast except when facing yao.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And what are the chances of both teams reaching the Finals? Before this game, Hollinger put it at 4.1%.

In the event that the Rockets and Magic do matchup in the Finals, I think Yao probably has a better shot of winning Finals MVP than Dwight. But, frankly, I don't like our chances of getting to the Finals anyways, so that seems kind of a moot point.

7. Roxlover

Roxlover Member

Obviously Yao is a better C than Howard.

In fact,Yao is a real C, DHoward is a real P .

8. engr chris

engr chris Member

David Wright?

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yao owned him again. I counted 7 points that Howard got against Yao. Of those 7, 6 were off guards penetrating and Yao having to commit...then Howard getting the rock. Now things would be different is Howard could actually hit his freebies.......

11. slugyang

slugyang Member

HAHA Don't think that will happen. ha~~ But it is also a good news. Even Dwight considers that Yao is better than him.

12. Roxlover

Roxlover Member

D Wright is a sheep when facing yao, as well as Yao become a beast when facing DWright. :p :p :p

That's enough.
    Why some guys always want to get more and most from YAO?You are so hard to be satisfied.

13. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I don't agree Dwight is better than Yao. From their personal matches against each other, Yao has dominated Dwight stat wise. The reason Dwight "seems" better is because he is a more agile player and can get those easy dunks. When you really double or triple team him, he's basically useless.

When it comes down to it, Yao has much more offensive weapons than Dwight. Better FT shooter. Better offensive player in terms of moves and shot selection. Higher bball IQ and passing.

Dwight is more athletic. Great personality. Sick dance moves, and very marketable in today's NBA.

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

D12 is better against the majority of the centers out there. Yao just gives him fits since he doesn't have enough posts moves to score over him. Yao's height really bothers him.

15. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

WHAAATTTT???!!!! It has nothing to do with color or race. It all has to do with markets. LA, NY, Chicago, Detroit. It also has to do with records, the Rockets don't have one of the best records in the league. Unbelievable.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He doesn't back down players in the post, which is usually what you want to do to create separation on your jump hook or turnaround. His post moves usually rely on him driving into the paint and then spinning the opposite way for his hook, or taking the shot in the lane like Ewing used to. Sometimes if he's quick enough and his defender is too small, he can just gather and dunk over him.

I don't know if I'd attribute his difficulties against Yao purely to not having refined post moves, though. Hakeem notoriously had problems against huge centers like Eaton, and later on Sabonis.

17. crunch

crunch Member

Will you rest the case at least for one day?

18. Arvid

Arvid Member

Well put. It's actually noticeable that when Howard plays Yao, he rarely has those high-flying ally-oops or dunks. I think it's mainly because those weak centers have to front him from time to time, which leads to such opportunities, while Yao always just stays behind and plays straight up with him.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The "notoriety" is greater than the actual extent of these problems, look at the old box scores.

Way too many people read too much into that one playoff series as a rookie in 1984 - he didn't exactly get stymied that year either (he wasn't awesome, but he wasn't horrid either - his foul shooting was atrocious that series though), if he doesn't lose his cool and get tossed out of that game where he got ejected the Rockets win that series

#39 SamFisher, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  20. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Perhaps because of the headfakes and pumpfakes that tend to get equal and smaller guys up in the air dont work on slower bigger guys?

I think head to head is just as important as rest of the league. But I think its a TYPE of player that gives the other problems. Yao is given problems by smaller and quicker type players(Al Jefferson) and Dwight has troubles against slower bigger guys(Yao/Shaq). Like I said before, there are more guys that give Yao fits than there are that give Howard fits. This is why Howard has more dominating performances than Yao does. That and he dunks alot so the perception is that Howard is a better(read more authorative) center.

Honestly its a "grass is greener" situation. Howard's weaknesses are Yao's strengths and vice versa. Magic fans would love to have a big man that can shoot the outside shot to be more viable on the Pick n roll. Rockets fans would like to have a quick big man that can be more intimidating.