1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick You Dunderhead

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hak34, Apr 4, 2009.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Oh no we can't beat the number one team in the west, boo hoo.

2. chasingu

chasingu Member

well, forgive him for he is Rick Adelman.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

imo, the difference in this game was lack of production from our pg spot.

if brooks had even made a few shots or lowry had gotten ft's on some of his drives, then RA would have looked a lot smarter for orchestrating his "balanced offense".

but as it stands now, not riding yao in the post turned out to be a mistake and the blame must go to RA for that. if he is going to get praise like coach of the month when his decisions work out, then it is appropriate he be made responsible when his decisions fail.

i view RA as a middle-of-the-road coach - he has some good qualities but he is not the elite coach who will get us a ring. every team he has coached in the past 2 decades has had problems closing out games. his offenses work in the regular season because they rack up a good percentage of easy points off of the passing and movement. but when elite teams start to tighten up the D, and RA concurrently and stubbornly refuses to adjust....his teams always stagnate in crunchtime.

i feel it's only a matter of time before the RA experiment will be scrapped for another head coach, if only to appease Team Yao. problem is that there really aren't that many elite coaches out there to replace him.

4. blender

blender Member

Here's a "glass is half full" argument.

It's all part of the Rockets' preparation for the playoffs. The players are already pretty aware of what they should do when Yao posts up, but they get rattled when that option gets taken away. So Adelman's using these remaining games to get them to improve upon this weakness, HCA be damned.

When the playoff begins, he'll go back to feeding the big fella.

5. 9495

9495 Member

Good to hear that more people are thinking that AJ is better fit as coach for the Rox!

6. dlite316

dlite316 Member

great thread...RA is just NOT the best fit to our current roster, esp yao

7. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

We do need a new coach. Ra does not know how to utilize Yao. We always do so well with Yao in the first half then the second half they go away from posting up Yao and RA does not know when to rest him and when to play him. He lets Ron jack up the ball and does not force the players to put the ball in Yaos hands which is so disturbing to watch when even the announcers are saying on national tv to give the ball to Yao down the stretch! It always seems to be the same at the end of games they go away from Yao and go to shot mode from beyond the arc and it all has to do with the coaching......

Count me in with Avery Johnson coaching the Rockets!

8. daernoth

daernoth Member

I cant stand RA myself.

Can anyone tell me for example why Yao is left out there for prolonged periods of time without a true power forward to help him on the boards? Sorry but Ron Artest is NOT a power forward.

I dont care if Chuck cant score. If Landry or Scola arent out there at the pf spot then Chuck needs to be out there period. Replacing Scola with Barry is r****ded. If you want a 3 point shooter out there so badly put in Brian Cook then.

Its like RA is trying to set Yao up to fail.

9. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

Eh well let us just see how we do in the playoffs.

10. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

That would be great if it is true but Yao still takes 13.3 shots per game.

11. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

rick prefers chuck noob hayes late in games because yao doesn't guard kobe and gasol pick and roll effectively and apparently he thinks chuck hayes would do that...

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm surprised you even know who chuck hayes is, don't you only pay attention to famous players?

13. Donatello

Donatello Member

Yao got many good positions down low. However, when Artest holds the ball, he doesn't pass to Yao after the first quarter. Here is Artest, standing still, looking straight at Yao. Long hesitation; but no pass. So what does Yao do? Go to the three point line to set a pick. This happens time and time again.

The solution is simple: put Artest on the opposite side of the floor as Yao; make Battier the entry passer.

Or, start Wafer and make Artest the 6th man. Wafer at least moves well without the ball and constants makes cuts. Artest can do whatever he wants on the second team.

14. SeeingRocketRed

Attention Rick Adelman: Get Yao the ball, you r****d of a coach.

Late in the game, and at various crucial moments when momentum is going against you, you have to go to your best and most efficient option at offense. You NEED points at these moments to take control of the situation. This is what the Spurs are so good at - they know to get the ball to Duncan and Parker in those situations, and generally, those guys come through or create open shots for other guys. This is why they have 4 rings.

When Yao is getting touches, he gets efficient points, shoots free throws over 80%, and/or gets layups or open 3s for his teammates. WHY IS HE NOT GETTING THE F-ING BALL?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I am yelling at my tv to "get Yao the ball" when the Rockets are on the road. I am yelling "Get YAO THE F_ING BALL" when I am in my seats at Toyota Center. Dude is money, and the team goes through long stretches, especially in the 4th quarter, where his battling for post position is totally unrewarded. Did you idiot coaches not see Gasol get schooled by Yao on one end, and Yao creating points on the other end??????? Whose bright idea was it to bench him for the last 4 minutes of the game, and let Gasol basically put his sack on Scola and Hayes' face? I guess you numskulls had not demanded Yao get the ball for the entire 4th quarter, so what was really the difference with him sitting on the bench versus being in the game...Why, oh for the love of God why?

Did you, Rick Adelman, have some sort of aneurism we need to know about? Are you "touched in the head"? Is Darryl Morey not running the numbers on what percentage of the time the team scores on a possession when Yao touches the ball versus what percentage of the time the team scores on a possession where Yao doesn't touch the ball? Because I guaran-dam-tee you it's exponentially higher when Yao gets touches. Get Yao the ball on the move, and dude is deadly. Get Yao the ball in the low post, and dude is deadly. Just get him the freaking ball you freaking nincompoops. He is the best center in the league, bar none, but late in the games, it's rare he gets the opportunities to attack the other team.

When you let DJ Mbenga's troll-looking self deny Yao the ball, your schemes suck, and your overall coaching sucks.

I could coach this team better late in games. it would go like this: Get Yao the ball. Run the offense. Move around, set back picks, screens etc away from the ball to set up options for Yao to pass the rock. But if he wants to attack his man and get easy points, let him. Everybody else, just run the offense. If Ron Artest doesn't want to play within the structure of the offense, he can chill out on the bench in the 4th. If Von Wafer wants to jack shots before the team gets down the floor, he can chill on the bench in the 4th. RUN THE OFFENSE THROUGH YAO. GET EASY, EFFICIENT BUCKETS IN CRUNCH TIME, AND STOP ACTING LIKE A BUNCH OF INDIVIDUALS. THIS IS A TEAM, AND IT'S YAO'S TEAM, BY GOD. This team needs discipline and they can win it all. Without it, they can't beat a salami.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

5 stars simply for the use of the word dunderhead.

well done.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Someone needs to get into this coach's ears for him to hear this....there is no use to vent on the board. This coach is obviously not listening because nobody is telling him otherwise. He lack the discipline of Jeff Van Gundy. Maybe it's time to get JVG back into the team. Although he lacks offensive movement, but he's discipline and he insist on going to Yao all the time.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I like how there were complaints about Artest, McGrady playing out of the system, but now Yao is playing within the system and now its no good and the system needs to be changed. LOL

18. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Hahaha this is a funny thread. I stopped reading once you said Rick why aren't you making the players give Yao the ball. This isn't a video game where you can pass the ball to Yao so easily. Yao for some reason has a hard time to position his man without them moving him out of position. Yao's weakness is his defense and he doesn't move his feet. I think Yao is just like Tracy McGrady. When physical contact his going on then they both are taken out of their games.

19. SeeingRocketRed

If you can't pass the ball to a certain player in your team, you shouldn't be in the NBA. If you can't coach methods to get a certain player on your team the ball where he likes it, you shouldn't be an NBA coach.

Your argument is almost as dunderhead-ed as Rick Adelman.

What if the Celtics couldn't get the ball to Wilt, would their team have said "oh well" and tried to get other guys to carry them? What if the Bulls couldn't get the ball to Jordan, would they say "oh well" and try to get Pippen and Kerr to carry them?

Not too bright.

20. Super Von

Super Von Member

He gets outcoached every time were up against a well coached team.

Once again Adelman is late to take a timeout or make a substitution, decides to let them play, and we end up down by 11.

Then he decides to take a timeout. Its a little late Adelman. This is a reoccuring trend and im getting sick of it.

He's always a step behind.