1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shanghai doesn't like the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Real Shady, May 21, 2002.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

But DoD, Stevie got us the #1.

I read that the "send over one nba player" thing was bs.

Yao should play for Houston for the mere fact that we have no state income tax. He's already giving away alot of his pay as is.

One reason that I want Ming is because New York does. I'd love to screw them over.

2. ctx

ctx Member

CBA operates a kind of like Euro soccer L. You will understand it if you know soccer. I was told that the SHOTV which ownes Shanghai Sharks is a public trade compnay at Shanghai stock market. SHORT its stock down to Zero!!!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DCKid, I'm just offering links.

If anyone knows Chinese, please go to the STV site and tells us if it says anything about that quote:

http://www.stv.sh.cn/sports/sports.htm

I've read a lot of stuff from the Li Yaomin today, and he doesn't seem like he knows what's up with Ming in the past. Honestly, I'm beginning to think he's just a spokesman for the Sharks. I mean, the guy was a journalist. These are not big teams, with big budgets.

David Chu is the owner of the Sharks and STV. It's really his decision.

The owner is a media mogul. Of course the best partnership is a US media mogul, but does Li really know what he's talking about in terms of Yao negotiations.

Check out what he said last year on May 15th.

What is he saying there????

#23 heypartner, May 21, 2002
    Last edited: May 21, 2002
  4. Sane

Sane Member

It's not like European soccer because transfer fees are not allowed in the NBA, and they won't soon in soccer.

This is pathetic. Yao is NOT worth the first pick if he can NEVER come to training camp.

If you guys think China DON'T have the rights to do anything. Then tell me, why's Zhi Zhi going to have nothing to do this upcoming season but play with his Wang?

Pick Jay Williams, then trade him. It's THAT simple. Chicago will be forced to pick him because of the dropoff in talent. Then Chicago can work a deal with NY. That's not so bad, because, NY can give Chicago the depth/experience it needs at Forward and PG.

Ward
    Camby
    Sprewell

for

Ming
    Eddie Robinson

Something like that.

5. netdummy

netdummy Member

I suspect the source of this report because I am a Chinese guy and I searched over half a dozen newspaper website in Shanghai, I didn¡¯t find any newspaper named as ¡°Shanghai morning news¡±. If you know it, please give me the link. Of two most influential newspapers in China, neither has any report that is even close to what the report said.

The closest name is ¡°Shanghai morning post¡±, it has two news related to Ming on May 21, one is about a quote of Ming ¡°It is always a risk (for the team) to pick. You have to gamble, if (you) lose, so be it¡±. Another report is about who is his agent. It says that Ming had dinner with his cousin Erik Zhang and Prof John when he was in Chicago. Ming consulted with John on a great detail of personal finance and he was very satisfied. He showed respect and trust to John and he also knew John is a professor in economics and also a lawyer.

The most popular newspaper in Shanghai, I believe, is ¡°XinMin Evening News¡± which has three articles about Ming on May 21. Two of them are basically the same thing as reported on ESPN about the surprising draft outcome and his agent. The other is his first coach recalling when he first saw Ming in July, 1989, when Ming was a 3rd grade boy (9yr old) with 5¡±7 height.

If the report from nbadraft.net is true (I still doubt it, because such news should appear in dominant local newspaper), then what an ignorant idiot the Shark GM Li is. If he or Shark had any private agreement with Knicks which other teams can not provide, it is certainly a violation of NBA rules. I wonder why Stern would not interfere and revoke Knicks¡¯s next five 1st round picks like he did to Minnesota.

Don¡¯t panic, draft Ming is a no-brainer. Sure, CD and Rockets management or even Stern need do a lot of work to get him here.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's a quote from The Sporting News:

<i>According to one scout, teams with high picks can see through the negative talk around potential top pick center Yao Ming and the obligations he has to his home country, China. It's true Yao will have to give up part of his salary to the government, but several rumors -- like the one claiming the team that drafts Yao will have to give up a player from its roster to obtain Yao -- are hoaxes. .</i>

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/sean_deveney/20020520.html

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wow!!!

CD loves Ming.

"With big men, you look at how they run. How long it takes to stop and change directions. Some guys need a long runway. He runs like a 6'5 guy."

Note, about signing Ming he says, "I think what we have to go by is what the NBA rules are and I think we'll find out all of that," Dawson said.

Uh, can you say that Dawson knows he can hold Ming hostage from China ever seeing him in the NBA, if they don't sign a standard contract.

DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE! or the HOAXES!!

Go CD!!!!

9. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

BREAKING NEWS:

The Houston Texans have just traded a 2003 4th rounder to the NY Knicks for Charlie Ward!! :D Wouldn't that be something!!

10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Lets just tell them that we will give them 97% of Enron Corp. stock for rights to Yao Ming and hope they don't find out about Enron's problems untill its too late. :D

11. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

MAN....That's too bad...I was planning on sending a few Rocket players the "How to speak Mandrin in 24 days" book. Even if we don't draft Ming, can we still send them a few players?