1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports] Denver plans to deal Cutler

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Major

Major Member

This may have been the case a years ago, but last year, their offense was ranked #14th in points, while their defense was #16th. The problem is that their defense is getting old now. So while their offense may dramatically improve, they have major defensive issues to deal with now.

1 person likes this.
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Bears were obviously desperate enough to give up that big of a package for a legit starting QB.

With Matt Forte in tow, and that defense... they've got to be the front runners in the NFC North now.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed on the defense and we really don't know how much their offense will improve. I think it could be dramatic because Cutler is several notches higher than Orton. IMO, this move, by itself, will take the offense up another level or two and now they can draft or trade to help the defense.

To me, anything is better than the snoozefest they would have been without this deal. For having such a rabid fanbase, the Bears are a boring franchise.

1 person likes this.
  4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Another interesting thing about this is the continued development of Devin Hester into a deep threat.

Cutler should be able to hit him in stride 40 yards down field if he can hold onto it.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Also, what will happen in Washington if Campbell finds out they were actively pursing Cutler and looking to dump him?

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

LOL! :D Check out post #71. ;)

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Maybe Campbell isn't the high school drama queen that Cutler is and will take it in stride and use it as motivation. But he can't be oblivious to the fact that Washington isn't happy with him.

Interesting story.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Heard about the trade on my way home. Been a Bears fan since I was a kid and Cutler could be the best QB we've had since McMahon, Tomzack and Kramer, if you don't know who the last 2 are welcome to the futility of the bears qbs in my lifetime.....

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This seems like a really good deal for the Bears.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't think Denver is in that bad of shape. they needed to get more draft picks anyway and rebuild their defense.

For QB, Orton /Simms isn't that bad of a combo.

look at Cassel, he came out of nowhere. The coach is the guy behind the undefeated regular season offense of Brady/Moss.

11. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I was over on Taylor & Racine in the south loop for a while, just moved back out to be with my family in the NW burbs. Might move back into the city again next year, when I'm headin that law school route we're both on.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think the Bears overpaid, but they've been needing a QB for oh about 20 years now so I'm not surprised they jumped the gun on a proven commodity.

Denver could make out like bandits here, but McDaniel will probably be out on his a** before he gets to see it come to bear.

13. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

No. Belichick is.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The relative failure of Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel agree with you.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

did Belichick call the offense plays that year?

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He might not have been driving, but he damn sure built the machine.

McDaniels' situation reminds me of Lane Kiffin.

Lots of talent, but a little too green to understand the ins and outs (politics) of being an NFL head coach.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

i still think denver came out pretty well, 2 first round picks, a third, plus Orton.

Orton isn't that bad. This might end up being Hershal Walker-esque trade.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The Broncos just got a lot better. Especially once they can develop a rookie QB.

As for the Bears, they have quite a few too many holes to fill to give up THAT much. I think they got ripped off.

I can see Denver going Sanchez with their first pick and then the best Defensive player available at 18...

Edit due to confusing post...

#118 Two Sandwiches, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  19. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Denvers defense needs some serious work, I think they are switching to the 3-4 this year too. If Denver had just a mediocre defense last year, then none of this would have ever happened.

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Easier said than done. QBs in the NFL are such a crapshoot. Denver needs some serious defense. Go D with first round picks and pick up Rhet Bomar in the 7th.