1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's a laugh; Astros expect to win 90 games

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

lol seriously...

I would wet my pants if we were to get Peavy...I hope we do..but i just dont see it happening, but then again who ever thought Artest wouldn't opt-out and land in houston?!

Chilcutt

2. imatexan

imatexan Member

Funny you think that is out of reach, we won 86 last year.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I dont think it will happen but I cant knock Coop for believing in his club.I hope he is right because there hasnt been a buzz about the Astros in 4yrs now.

4. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I predict Cecil Cooper will be looking for a new job by the end of the season. The Astros have gone through to many managers over the years. I don't think our owner understands only pitchers and hitters get to play in the games. As well as whomever our head coach is at the time isn't running the farm system or scouting and then drafting actual talent.

There's no alternating NBA 5 man rotations and constant mismatches like basketball. There's no X's and O's, deciding to run the ball, or trick plays like football.

In reality, a NL head coach "mostly" makes bullpen pitching changes and then answers questions after the game. If you think it's all about morale and a master motivator will win you games just finally hire Tony Robbins as our head coach.

#24 redgoose, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I don't care if they keep Cooper on as manager or not, but you're mistaken to say that there's no strategy or decision making in baseball. You have bunts, hit-and-runs, double switches, defensive replacements, the aforementioned bullpen changes, pinch hitters, steal signs or green lights, pinch runners, intentional walks and "pitch around" walks, daily lineups and pitching rotations, bullpen assignments, managing days off, handling pitch counts, platoons, and defensive positioning for each hitter, off the top of my head.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

wow, that's pretty ignorant.. see samcassell's post.

defensive positioning for each hitter is big..steps here and there matter. And how about positioning based on the way you plan on pitching to a certain batter? And how about pitching to a certain batter differently in different situations?

Players help with some of those decisions, but managers help with or make them completely often enough.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yeah if the Astros win 10 games over Pythogorean projection again and Cecil Cooper quits.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i vomited.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

concur.

10. redgoose

LOL....I expected to get blasted. So many people over complicate the head coach's role in baseball. They spend way more time answering questions after the game than making game altering decisions.

So which is more important? Getting a Joe Torre as the head coach? Or would you rather have a great pitching instructor and a hitting coach who help the players out on a one on one basis that translates directly to their game play?

Is it a difficult decision to put your set up man in the 8th and closer in the 9th inning? Bunt with a RISP unless your power hitters are up depending on score if your playing for one run? Start your 5 best pitchers in order of talent? Pinch hit for the pitcher in the late innings if your gonna yank him. Can some coaches really not figure out the best routine very early in a 162 game season? It's not exactly Rocket Science is what i'm implying. :eek:

I'm basically trying to get at the point head coaches are the scape goats for the GM's and owners. If we kept the exact same team from last year and signed the best coach in baseball this year while health and all other factors stayed entirely the same, how many more games do you think we would win this year? :confused:

Yes, basketball and football coaches make alot more crucial decisions every game, whereas many times your baseball head coach won't even have to make one call during an entire game. No other sport like that.

So please resume to throwing up again if you can't wrap your head around these mind blowing concepts! :)

#30 redgoose, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

this is a joke, right?

12. redgoose

If you've ever seen a few Astros games, yes it is a joke. :)

13. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Wow! And Astros HATER! Your probably a Yankees fan... And yes I think we can win 90 games we alsmost did last yr.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

How long did you play baseball?

And don't worry, I'm a step ahead of you with the vomiting.

15. msn

msn Member

"Yes." --Larry Dierker, October, 2001 :(

Come on now; disagreement with your take does not constitute a failure to understand it. :p

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You would sound slightly less dumb if you used the right terminology, which has always been "manager", instead of calling them by the wrong name constantly. Do you know that little about baseball?

17. right1

right1 Member

O.k....now I puked.

18. theimpossibles1

BLEEAHHHHHHH, SHPSHHHHHHH, VOMIT!!!!!!!!!!!! IM VOMITING EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Bruins&RedSox21

Due to my rabid followment (is that a word, followment?) of another team located Northeast, I dont know too much about the Astros. I do know, however, that their farm system seems somewhat not up to par. I glanced at the roster, & wondered if it would be in their best interest to trade a few starts / serviceable big leaguers for prospects? Please don't bash, I dont follow this team.

20. right1

right1 Member

I don't know. Would you trade Pedroia, Youkilis, Beckett or Papelbon for prospects? Your answer would probably be, ":confused: Why? The season is about about to start." Glancing at the roster, I think they've got the team they want out there on opening day. Let the chips fall where they may. Good luck Astros!!! Here's to kicking some Bo Sox a$$ in the World Series.