1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio McDyess or Antawn Jamison

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D. ILLEST 1, May 21, 2002.

1. D. ILLEST 1

D. ILLEST 1 Member

If the Rockets don’t pick Ming, I see two realistic possibilities:

The Rockets trade the #1 to Denver for
    Antonio McDyess and the #5 pick

The Rockets trade the #1 to Golden State for
    Antawn Jamison and the #3 pick

I don’t think the Rockets will take a chance on Ming. The Rockets will never get Garnett, Iverson, Duncan, or a player of their caliber for the #1. Both deals are excellent and would benefit the Rockets. What do you think?

2. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

I love the Rox/Denver trade.

Specially if we could throw in Mo Taylor + salary fillers in order to make the trade work cap wise.

Basically we would obtain an inside presence that we need, obtain a top 5 pick to get a stud sf (hopefully Dunleavy or Butler) and get rid of a bad salary in Mo.

3. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

I'd go for it if McDyess is healthy...

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I get this strange feeling that McDyess is going to be injury prone for the rest of his career.....

5. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

I think Mcdysse is healthy, I believe that he is unhappy about being in Denver (needless to say the manner in which he was tricked into going over there, see Nick Van Exel) and the direction that the team is going in has definitely affected him negatively. He needs a fresh start. It is going to be tough for us to get a legitimate all-star in return for the #1 draft pick and I believe this is the opportunity. Kiki has worked with Yao in the past when he was with the Mavs and they have the #5 pick. Dysse wanted to be in Houston the last time he was a fa, the rocks could not make a decision and ended up with pip. A big man who can run the floor is athletic and gives an inside presence is what we need, we can take a risk on Yao or have a proven player in Dysse.

6. Timing

Timing Member

I doubt Denver is interested in taking back what we have in salary to make McDyess fit here. They don't want Mo or Moochie or Rice and they're not going to have any easier time dealing with Yao's baggage than we are.

7. Timing

Timing Member

How about #1 to LA for Miles #8 and #12. Then we send #12 to Vancouver to take care of our debt to them.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Timing,who would you take with that 8th pick?

9. D. ILLEST 1

D. ILLEST 1 Member

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Timing

Timing Member

Ideally I'd like to trade the 8 and 15 for a 15pts/10rebound front court player but there just aren't any. Is Rasheed worth the headaches cause I think Portland wouldn't mind dishing him. Outside of that maybe you can work out a three way trade for McDyess somehow. I really don't think Denver would mind parting with him if they could pick up some picks.

Also I at first thought 8 and 12 plus Miles would be too much but look at what Miles has done in the league. His numbers this year were the same as last year. He's an energy type player like Ruben Patterson or Kenyon Martin, he's not a star and might never be. I think Miles would fit in great with Houston because he's just a tall lanky guy who runs the floor and gets in people's faces. We don't have anyone like that and we get exploited big time when we play teams with athletic forwards.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The Rox weren't interested in McDyess when he was a free agent last time. Maybe Rudy knows something when they were at Sydney...

I don't like both trades since both would put the Rox over the cap after Stevie signs for the max.

It would seriously limit our mobility to fill our need at SF or C (whatever spot our traded pick doesn't fill), because after we're over the cap, KT loses his trade value for us since we'd have to match salaries.

Antawn isn't a credible scoring threat. He's picky, and he won't work in a sacrificing team situation like the Rockets (open? shoot. Not open? pass to Cat or Steve...). I hate his attitude and he's vastly overpaid.

McDyess is always injured... He's explosive, but when he lands watch and listen as his bones break. He must hate milk or something...

13. NYKFan37

NYKFan37 Member

I doubt Denver would Trade Mcdyse and their pick for the #1, Maybe just Mcdyse, but not with their pick, remember, they also have to take back a bad contract.

The GS Deal I see happening though

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Time to interject some facts here:

<i>The Rox weren't interested in McDyess when he was a free agent last time. Maybe Rudy knows something when they were at Sydney... </i>

That is completely untrue. The Rockets were courting both McDyess and Pippen. McDyess choose Denver over us, Houston then signed Pippen. Also, McDyess was a free agent in '97, that was before Rudy coached in the Olympics.

<i>It would seriously limit our mobility to fill our need at SF or C (whatever spot our traded pick doesn't fill), because after we're over the cap, KT loses his trade value for us since we'd have to match salaries. </i>

And if we don't make a trade, we're also over the cap, so what difference does it make? We're not going to have cap space either way.

<i>McDyess is always injured... He's explosive, but when he lands watch and listen as his bones break. He must hate milk or something...</i>

Let's check that out here's the number of games that McDyess has played prior to last season:

95-96 76/82
    96-97 74/82
    97-98 81/82
    98-99 50/50 (Strike season)
    99-00 81/82
    00-01 70/82

So, he played in 432 of a possible 460 games. That means that he played in 93.9% of the games. That's an awful lot of games for a guy that is "always injured".

Also, McDyess injured a tendon in his knee. He has never broken a bone in his 7 years in the NBA.

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Thanks for clearing that up abt. McDyess. I really like him as a player, and I think Rudy does also.

That other stuff didn't sound quite right...

16. TexasG

TexasG Member

Why not just trade the #1 for Shaq. No way the Clipps give all that up for only the #1.

17. Timing

Timing Member

No way? Miles has averaged 9pts and 5 rebounds for each of the last two years. The guy isn't an all-star and doesn't even start for his team. He has value in his potential but his lack of statistical improvement on a lottery team from year 1 to year 2 doesn't speak well for him becoming a star.

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

nugzfan has to be fuming over that #1 for Mcdyess/#5. He'll probably get mad over this as well, but I don't think Denver is a possible destination for Ming.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>nugzfan has to be fuming over that #1 for Mcdyess/#5. He'll probably get mad over this as well, but I don't think Denver is a possible destination for Ming.</i>

nugzfan has lost the right to cry "unrealistic trade". All that needs to be said is "LaFrenz & Van Excel for Howard".

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LMAO

Rocket River