1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Analysis/Debate/Discussion - Starting PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by matty101, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

FYI the earliest timetable for T-Mac's return is midseason. And we all know what a warrior that guy at rehab. :rolleyes: It's only microfracture after all.

2. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

[rockets.com]Brooks and Lowry all Rockets need at point

Brooks and Lowry all Rockets need at point

ok so maybe thats not the original title of this article but it very well could have been. :)

click this LINK for the rest

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

A lot of these so-called NBA analysts need to shut the hell up because they don't know the truth behind the Rockets. The truth Rafer Alston suck ball and need to be shipped off. Dude is very inconsistent and don't really contribute much to the team other than taking jump shots. He hardly EVER penetrate and when he does...can't do a damm layup..his floater is horrible (probably the worst in the NBA). He basically does very little to help this team out. The reason he has been starting is because the Rockets have no one else to replace him and that they're stuck!!

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Brooks and Lowry all Rockets can get at point!

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Read the whole article and also recognize the guy who wrote it is more in-tune with the Rocket organization than almost anyone here.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Disregard. I commented on the wrong subject.

8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

• Lowry is the superior defender. TRUE
      Lowry is more of a "true PG." I.e. He initiates the offense better. TRUEISH
      Lowry is able to give the ball to Yao in far better positions. FALSE, DON'T SEE MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE
      Lowry attacks the basket far better and is able to draw the foul and finish. DRAWS MORE FOULS, BUT HE DOESN'T FINISH BETTER
      Lowry is far more under control. FALSE, HE RUNS INTO PEOPLE, AARON SORTA FLOATS AROUND PEOPLE IN THE AIR HAHA
      Lowry looks to set up his team mates where as Brooks look for his own shot more. OFTEN TIMES TRUE, UNFORTUNATELY

my opinions on peoples opinions : )

9. The Veeg

The Veeg Contributing Member

The opinions are interesting on this subject but the facts are far more clear. I am actually a huge fan of both Brooks and Lowry. Loved Brooks since the day we drafted him and loved Lowry for years with Memphis. Either would be a better point guard than Rafer for this team so let's start there.

However...

Currently, with T-Mac out of the lineup, we MUST have another option that can create his own shot and put pressure on the defense. There is absolutely zero debate about who the better person for this job is. Brooks is an incredible scoring point guard who I would like to see take a fair amount of shots a game. When he is looking for his shot he is actually more effective. When he is passive, his game suffers. The guy has the ability to duck behind screens to get off a shot any time he likes and has the quickness to beat his man off the dribble everytime. Yes, occassionally he forgets how small he is and gets it blocked but overall I cannot see Shane, Artest, and Scola creating there own shots as often or as effective (and in the case of Artest) as Aaron. But most importantly, if you do not surround Yao with three point shooters, the entire offense breaks down. Aaron is vastly superior to Lowry in that part of his game which should mean he is firmly implanted in the starters role for some time to come.

The only way Lowry will ever see the starting job on a team with Yao is if he can show that he dramatically improves his three point percentage. I agree that Lowry is definitely a better defender and in some circumstances I would leave him in if Brooks is getting torched by a bigger/stronger guard but that should be situational and not the default.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like your analysis.