1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade With Clippers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, May 20, 2002.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Clutch's post a couple days ago immediately got me thinking once I saw Chicago won the second pick in the draft. What if the Rockets sent the #1, Moochie and KT to the Clippers for their 8th, 12th and Lamar Odom?

At first(a couple of weeks ago) I was leaning away from the idea of the Rockets trading for Odom, but then I realized I have him on my NBA Live team. OK, I know that has absolutely nothing to do with the real game, but it got me thinking about how he really could be one of the pieces to the puzzle. Plus making this trade would give us a couple of other picks to play with. We could use them to select a couple of guys or jam the 12 down Memphis' throat.

2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly. I would be happy with just the #8 along with Odom. The Clips could use the #1 to draft Jay Williams since I believe Jeff McInnis is a free agent. They would have a solid backup PG and PF, both of which they need. The Rockets could use the #8, #12, or #15 to get one or two of the best big men available and possibly send one to the grizzlies if they'd accept it. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this exact scenario happened. BTW, a possible big man the rockets could pick up is Maybener "NeNe" Hilario. I saw this guy play last summer in the Goodwill games on the Brazil team that gave the US team a good battle. I remember thinking back then he would be in the NBA soon, not to mention, his NBA comparison is Hakeem Olajuwon.

3. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking. We give the Clips the #1, #15 and KT/filler for the #8, #12 and Odom. We use the picks on a big man and a project.

Tsiska (sp?)/Marcus
    Borchardt/Nochbar
    Stoudemire/Jeffries

Francis/Mooch
    Mobley/Torres/Dixon
    Odom/Morris/Tsiska
    Mo/Griffin
    Cato/Borchardt

There are just soooo many possibilities. Its gonna be a great month for speculation!!!!!!

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Trading with the Clips really makes a lot of sense. But the primary prize IMO should be Brand.

How about G. Rice and #1 (Ming) for Brand + either Odom or Miles. If Ming is really the prize of the last coupe of drafts we should require serious capital and not all potential (we want plays who can ball now--e.g., we know Brand will hover around all-star level the next 8-10 years).

5. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

How about #1, Mooch and KT for Odom, Dooling, and #8? Damn, we are gonna ball next year! Bye the bye, if your talking about Brand, you had better find a taker for Taylor.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

if we trade:

KT
    unprotected draft pick 2003

for

brand
    odom

we'd have 3 of the top 4 picks from 1999! :D :D

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

LA is not trading Brand.

#1, #15 and KT is overpaying for #8, #12 and Odom!

8. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Ok, first off, any trade with the Clippers does not have to match dollar for dollar - we can dump some contracts. 2nd, we have the first freaking pick in the draft! This is the time for lopsided trade scenarios.

How about :

Cato - contract - serviceable (I use this word loosely) big man
    Moochie - Clippers fill a need here - backup pg
    KT - cheap contract - 6th man potential
    Rice - contract - cost of the first pick
    1st pick
    15th pick (only if we have to)

for

Odom
    Olowokandi
    8th pick
    12th pick

Our lineup

Olowokandi, 8 draft pick, Collier
    Mo-T, Griff, 15 draft pick
    Odom, Griff, T-Mo
    Mobley, Torres
    Franchise, Brown
    12 draft pick - a combo type guard

Me likey!
    :)

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kandi,Odom, 8, 12 for Rice, Cato 1, 15. OR Ming. Have a workout to check the guy.

Damn. That's nice.

Kandi 8
    Griffin Taylor
    Odom 12 Tmo
    Mobley Torres
    Francis Mooch

Lopsided trade for # 1 dreamcast ok, still think clips don't bite. Not in their nature to pay Rice Cato.

10. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

My take...
    If the Clippers actually want to improve (depending on D. Sterling) then they know that they need a PG. They may be willing to rid themselves of a redundant player in Odom. Olowokandi, I believe has already bashed the Clippers and will most likely leave. If he wants an adequate contract, his best chance is to sign and trade w/ the Clippers. They won't do anyone any favors unless they get something in return. I propose a trade of:

Houston gets - Odom, a resigned Olowokandi (not at the max b/c he certainly should not be getting paid the same amount as Francis), and picks 8 and 12

LA Clippers get - #1 pick, Cato, Rice and their choices of either Collier, Moochie and/or KT.

We are at a position of advantage here depending on if LA actually wants to improve. The Clipps lose Odom who they didn't play much w/ last season and came close to making the playoffs. They are going to lose Olowokandi regardless so that shouldn't matter much. They already have a super young team and we didn't take any of these picks from them, that would be 3 more rookies on their roster.

With picks 8,12 and our 15, we might be able to get into the top 5 for even more depth added...perhaps Wilcox.

***Some people may think that LA would be giving up too much; maybe so if they weren't in the position they put themselves in, but Odom is redundant and may not be the best for them anymore. Olowokandi is gone no matter what so we might as well pick him up after we give up Cato, who would replace Kandi and they wouldn't have to worry about resigning him. Rice, Collier, Moochie or KT could be used to even out the contracts. As I said b/f, LA is already young and they might not find the impact player they covet at 8 and 12, so we could greatfully take those picks from them. Only problem I could see is if they were satisfied w/ Dejuan Wagner and used 8 and 12 to move up themselves to top 5, otherwise, Jay Williams should be their man.

11. B-ball freak

Gee, rocketteen, your scenario seems familiar. Hmmm, where did I see that? Oh yeah , I posted it 2 posts ago!

12. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Odom, yes!
    That would be my pick, now I'm outta here and back to the Hangout!:cool:

13. Possum

Possum Member

Your telling me that the Clippers would be an improved team by getting rid of Kandi and Odom and adding Cato, Rice, Collier, Moochie and/or KT and Ming. Ok whatever!

The Clippers dont need us to improve.:rolleyes:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,5351619,00.html

The Clippers' top priority is re-signing free-agent center Michael Olowokandi, but beyond that, there is plenty of talk of them making a deal with Cleveland for Andre Miller or Baron Davis of New Orleans, both native Los Angelenos who have expressed an interest in coming home. Now the Clippers have two lottery picks to package with either Corey Maggette or Darius Miles, plus a sign-and-trade of Jeff McInnis. The prospect of one of those two players, with Olowokandi, All-Star Elton Brand and Lamar Odom up front, has coach Alvin Gentry and the Clippers front office frothing at the mouth.

The Clippers are on the cusp of becoming a serious playoff contender for years to come after a 39-43 season despite not having Odom most of the way because of a wrist injury.

"I think we're pretty well stocked at some positions, so we won't be addressing those," Gentry said. "I think, more so than anything, we're going to take a look at our needs and there's also the possibility of putting those picks together and try to move up or putting those two picks together and trying to go get a veteran player or something like that. I just feel like we have a lot of flexibility."

B-BALL FREAK I wouldnt be braging that was my post.

14. Sane

Sane Member

Jeez, if they're giving away Miles, by all means, get him.

How about #1, Moochie, and Rice for Miles, Mcinnis, and #12?

Then this is how they'd look:

Kandi/#8(Borchdart? Stoudamire? Marcus?)
    Brand/FA veteran
    Odom/Rice
    Q Richardson/Maggette
    Jay Williams/Moochie

At every position, they have a backup that can start on other teams.

To fix salaries, maybe a re-sgined KT for Maggette (without extension) or Piatowski (very low contract).

I'd like to have Miles over Odom, but didn't think they'd be willing to deal him. If this guy works on his jumpshot, he will be unstoppable. In 2 seasons, he'll be as good as Kevin Garnett. Passing, rebounding, power. EXACTLY the same.

15. Darth West

Darth West Member

I would be very suprised if you could dump contracts on the Clippers ... its not like they are famous for spending money even on good players ...

I am also not so sure that the clippers are after a potential future star PG (Jay Williams) ... lets face it most teams can not afford having more then 2 max players in their lineup and the Clippers already have a few potential max players so maybe the will go with a cheaper PG ... infact they might already have their PG of the future in Marco Jaric so I doubt they are interested in the number on pick until he has gotten the chance to show what he can do ...

16. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

I'd trade #1 and #15 for Brand and Odom (or Kandi) but I don't think that the Clips would go for that. But if Brand is not included in a trade for a #1 & would be a loss for us.

17. B-ball freak

Possum,

Wasn't bragging, just merely stating his redundancy. I think what you are severely underestimating is the power that the first pick in the draft brings. How big do you think it would be to have Ming and Shaq in the same market? Wait until the bidding begins before you call people out on their scenarios. :rolleyes:

Darth West,

You bring up a good point. However, other than Rice, who only has 2 more years, those players meet Clipper needs. I don't think this is that far fetched.

18. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Brand would be a steal. He is 20/10 a night. We need some consistency. If the Bulls are stupid enough to trade him for some high schoolers, then who says the Clips wouldn't be dumb enough to trade him for the #1 in a package deal?

Regardless we are gonna get to fill a lot of our holes.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

You guys are nuts! Why would the Clippers want to trade Brand after one year(a very successful year at that)??

The Odom is a thousand times more likely possibility. We all know that the Clipper organization really likes Miles, thus making Odom much more expendable.

Kandi probably isn't a possibility either. While he is coming off a fairly successful season, I'm not sold. He is very streaky, however if the Clips were willing to toss him in, in exchange for us adding Cato or Rice to the deal, ring me up baby!!

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

All indications are that the Clips are excited about their young nucleus of Kandi, Brand, QRich, and Miles. They're looking to deal Odom and Maggette and hopefully get a PG in return.

This deal is now a reality. I'm positive that an offer of Odom and the #12 or #8 will be made in the next few days. I figure we can get Maggette too, by throwing in Moochie or KT. Maggette is a swingman who'd be valuable to bring in off the bench. At #12 we could probably pick up some Todd MacCullough type 5.