1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Ref fined for Doc Rivers incident

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Wakko67, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Interesting read about ref Bill Kennedy getting fined for his ejection of Doc Rivers.

Yahoo article

What's funny is one of the other refs said the only person whose professionalism has ever been questioned is Rivers. Wasn't Kennedy the one who always got trigger happy with techs when it came to Steve?

I hope bad offiiciating happens to the Celtics and other high profile teams more often so they eventually do something about it.

2. R0cketC1ty123

R0cketC1ty123 Member

3. snc

snc Member

Not as old as your signature.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

i couldve sworn the offending drexler ref was named donovan...

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Jake O'Donnell

6. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I don't know if this is such a great idea.

The refs and the league need to look united. I think this makes the refs look weaker. . . .

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I am not sure what you are talking about, I was never a follower of refs. But if you are referring to the Francis ejection whatever ref that did that apologized and acknowledged his mistake.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I've never been much of a Doc Rivers fan, but I find it interesting that the referees' union is allowed to say this:

"The only person in this scenario who has had a pattern of behavior that is unprofessional is Doc Rivers, not Billy Kennedy.”

I imagine that if the players union, or a player, or a coach said something similar about any of the refs - that Stern would go buck wild with fines/suspensions.

And furthermore, what kind of message is it sending that apparently on the whole, NBA game officials have a clearly defined bias against at least one coach. How many more coaches and players are also deemed "unprofessional" or viewed in some other negative light before the ball is even tossed up?

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I didn't know about any apologies. I just remember him getting T'd for damn near anything with certain guys.

You bet your arse, they'd be fined. If you think about it, it is funny how coaches or players can't say peep about the officials without fear of reprisal. Almost gestapo like. The ref in this article should be fined and have it made public.

They were talking about this on the BS Report podcast and how they continue to let refs who had run ins with certain teams officiate those teams/players. The Crawford/spurs example would be the most recent. What does that prove? That you won't be bullied by the fans? Stern's arrogance is annoying and is hurting the game in this aspect.

These refs don't understand that they're not bigger than the game. If they're doing a good job, you shouldn't notice them. I should not know they're names unless I'm actually reviewing their performance. What ever happened with the guy they brought in to clean up officiating? I've seen nothing change. Stern's arrogance is annoying and is hurting the game in this aspect.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That is absolutely true.

Stern doesn't need to make things public ...but if a ref's name routinely shows up in the media, they should release that ref.

Perfect example ...Violet Palmer. Why do I know her name? Please Stern, rid her from my consciousness.

11. Christopher

Christopher Member

I don't understand what it is about the NBA and its refs.

In other sports, if an official makes a mistake, fair enough. If the officials are not up to standard, the sporting organization doesn't something to improve them.

In the NBA its like the officials are always right...No....dont even.....they are RIGHT and you are WRONG.

I just don't get the attitude...

12. snc

snc Member

Aww you changed it, I guess TMac isn't in the MVP running anymore? :cool: