1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman post game: "Yao has got to demand the ball."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coach AI, Mar 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

From Adelman's post game. Interesting to hear and it kind of adds to the discussion on who is calling what and taking those shots down the stretch.

"He's (Yao) got to demand the ball...You just got to go the post and you tell them to 'bring it to me'. He's looking around playing pick and roll when he just scored six times in a row... Until they stop him we've got to run through him every time. He's just got this mentality that he's trying to fit in but sometimes he's got to take control. It's just something he's got to continue to work on."

"We have to learn what your strengths are when the game is on the line and go to your strengths. Not try to manufacture something that is not going to be good."

#1 Coach AI, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

= ronald fade away's.

good to hear adelman calling for yao to demand the ball. the fans have been wanting to see yao do that for a long time.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Interesting comments considering he once had this mentality. I thought many agreed it was Adelman's offense that was changing his game. I'd love to have the Yao that demanded the ball back... I briefly saw him before his injury and he was playing at an MVP caliber and possibly the most dominant player in the game at the time.

4. monte

monte Member

Yao did a decent job tonight, especially the offence end. defensive rebounds should be better protected though.

5. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Why wont he just tell Ron to stop shooting stupid ass shots?

6. archinkent

archinkent Member

why is he calling out yao of all players? why not call out artest for hogging the ball so much

7. 2rings

2rings Member

Let me see, the head coach says Yao has to demand the ball more. How about the head coach bench a few players for not getting the ball to Yao or start calling plays more often. Yao is never going to be an in your face guy. Do you think JVG would leave it to Yao to demand the ball? He would have jumped down the guards @ss sideways if he told them to get Yao the ball and they didn't. Adelman needs to look in the mirror on this one.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

because there was one play right after a bad artest shot where yao came all the way out to the 3 point line to try and set a pick for artest instead of just getting in the post. he's saying yao needs to make sure everyone knows he wants it, especially when he's killing people, not just hope maybe he'll get it. that play was on yao.

and the second quote in Rokkit's post was actually about scola's drive that got stripped toward the end of regulation. said scola should have just taken the jumper.

9. dero72

dero72 Member

I think in his 'Adelmanish' way, he did. He's very non-confrontational it seems...
    You know JVG wouldve been all up IN Artest.

But he's right...Yao needs to scream and shout more. At co-players, at officials, at everyone. This is NOT China. the mindset has to shift when he's here...

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yeah that's why I separated it though I couldn't hear the question. Though he did make mention of pick and roll again. i.e. "That would be like calling a high pick and roll with Yao handling it". I think that was a little criticism of the playcalling near the end.

EDIT:
    I also didn't get the feeling from watching it that he was 'calling out' Yao. More like a comment on something they are working on.

11. hoopwoo

hoopwoo Member

agree! Adleman and Yao are both gentlemen! one of them needs to stop being one and yell at those who try to be heroic in a stupid way! as far as I see it, Adleman should play the bad guy rather than Yao, if not both!

12. worzel gummidge

'Cause Adelman doesn't want to put Morey in the position where he sees Artest "covered in blood saying 'Don't ask'". That's what happens when you try to "cage a pitbull".

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Exactly. That's what i like to hear from the coach. Perhaps it's because Yao mentality of trying to fit in that other players did not pass him the ball during crucial time. I kind of understand now....because Yao did run out several times trying to pick n roll rather than post up. And Yao still need other players to tell him to get to the post. He needs to stop doing this same shyt and toughin it up and grow up and stop trying to fit in. Who the **** is going to stop you from making your shot?? Why would you want to rely on your teammates to help you score when you know no one on the team is better than you and they depend on you?? Unless, you're a person that don't realize you're better than the others.

This is what i think why Yao is also being labeled as soft and not tough in regard to backing down and dunking because he failed to see his greatness and tend to treat others with too much respect. So i wouldn't be surprised if Yao think he was surprised he didn't know he was that good.

14. NYRangers

NYRangers Member

I remember the espn quick interview before the 4th q and Adleman saying that Yao has create something for the team when we lost the lead.

Good call coach.

15. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

Why couldn't he tell the players to get the ball to Yao? Adelman sucks!

16. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

Ron has potential to be Mclady's no-brain sucking jump shot

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think one thing has to be made clear first. I think Adelman was a bit frustrated throughout the game because Yao had Dyess and kwame on him and he's suppose to dominate them. He still had a really good game, so i dont think Adelman would have said this, except then that one play happened.

the play someone else mentioned is where they tried to post Yao and Yao actually waved them off and pointed to the top, saying he was going to set the pick. that's what pissed off adelman since Yao had been on a roll. What i think some players missed and Adelman as well, was that Yao got kneed in the thigh on the other end after the detroit miss. He was trying to shake it off up the court and you could tell he wasn't ready to post up because of it. so that's why he waived it off. Should he have sucked it up? Who knows, maybe it was a bad stinger.

18. subzor

subzor Member

anyone recorded the post game interview?

19. leonking

leonking Rookie

Yes, Yao should shoot the ball everyone time in the 4th quarter when he just warmed up from 30 mins running.

20. worzel gummidge

It's been put up on Rockets.com