1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Novak in 3pt contest

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by anelka3913, Mar 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anelka3913

anelka3913 Member

can the fans vote for who should be in the 3pt contest? bc i wana see more pure shooters in the contest than this yrs mostly strike shooters

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Nope, it's up to the NBA.. I think they look at stats more than anything. Novak didn't have many attempts or makes for him to make it, but he's an incredible shooter. I think in time he will make it.

3. Yak

Yak Member

I don't even think they look at stats.

Wasn't it last year that they chose both Tony Parker and Rip Hamilton to participate in the event? Two players who shoot below 30% for 3s. Fortunately, both of them were injured and didn't do it.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Tony Parker? I don't believe that for a second.

Are you sure it wasn't Anthony Parker?

5. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

I would bet my paycheck on Novak.

6. snc

snc Member

Tony Parker wasn't but I remember laughing when Rip Hamilton was announced. From what I can tell, they don't look at stats, but name recognition. Not necessarily stars, but no one outside of our weird Nova-kult would want to watch him participate.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

They didn't put Anthony Morrow in it this year so I'm not sure what they actually look at.

8. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

dude hit 6 three pointers last night against the wizards, hes on fire lately and really should be in a 3 point contest. can we have him back?

9. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Is there any real reason to why they don't just have pure shooters like Novak. I don't understand why they have a criteria for how many attempts you have.

I mean it's not like they have a criteria for how many dunk attempts you have to be in the dunk contest do they. They only get high-flyers, so for the three-point why not just get the best pure-shooters around the league that atleast play a little bit.

10. uchlha

uchlha Member

i think hes a FA this year.. maybe we should resign him lol :p

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I thought the Rockets took defense seriously...

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are definitely going for bigger names these days...if not stars then at least recognizable. I think the days where someone like Craig Hodges, a 10-12th man, dominated for a few years are long gone. The NBA doesn't want that.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

and yet the two-time defending champion was

Jason Kapano

and this year's winner?

Daquean Cook?

neither are big names if anything Kapano made his "name" because of the 3pt contest.

There is no reason why Novak shouldn't be invited next year if he is on a NBA team

14. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Steve Novak
    Ray Allen
    Peja Stojakovic
    Kyle Korver

Get it done, Stern.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This is why he won't be invited.

While Kapono and Cook aren't big names, they actually play quite a bit. They are major pieces to their rotation. Since Novak is terrible at every other aspect of basketball, it is questionable whether or not he'll even be in the league. It would be somewhat embarrassing for the NBA if Novak won the 3pt contest and then couldn't defend a year a two later because he wasn't in the league.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Kapono wasn't a lock to make the contest his first time around, he had to make a promotional video about himself and send it to the league. He was shooting 56% from downtown at the time.

17. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

They didn't choose Luther 2 years ago when he was a machine from behind the arc. I really don't understand how they pick the players.

18. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Big week for Novak. A game winner, and then last night 6 3pters on his way to 21 points.

I'm glad he's getting to play somewhere.

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, Kapono was a big name at UCLA and then he started getting noticed when he signed with Miami and then was part of the '06 Champion Heat team. He was first invited the following year. Cook is not a big name, but again I was saying recognizable. He at least plays a decent amount and even still, he was the least known player.

Novak absolutely should be in the contest based on pure shooting ability. The NBA seems to want something else, though, and that was my point.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i wouldnt really say Kapano was a "big" name at ucla he was certainly their best years during the "dark" era of ucla basketball (sadly spanning the majority of my years attending there) he did bounce around teams in the league until landing a spot in miami.

i was say his name was probably slightly recognizable when the first contest came around.

but yeah the nba hand picks everything and its pretty lame. the fact that players like antoine walker can be selected for the contest is just ridiculous.

hopefully his recent play in the second half of the season lets him sign with a team in the offseason and he gets in next year