1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time for Rick Adelman to go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonShake34, Mar 15, 2009.

?

Is it time for RA to go?

1. Yes

193 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

264 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. big11

big11 Contributing Member

If Rick doesn't workout this season, a big man coach like Pat Raily would be nice!

2. santawood

santawood Member

Not only Adelman has to go, we should also get rid of the 3A (Aaron, Artest, Adelman). 3A is ruining this team.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Only if we can get JVG back.

4. monster

monster Member

Are you suggesting firing our coach as we head down the home stretch into the playoffs? Our record isn't that bad you know. Before the game yesterday, we were the 3rd seed....don't know if that's changed....but regardless. Cutting our coach now is a stupid idea, and until we have a better replacement, changing coaches doesn't make any sense. FInally, I don't think we need to replace RA. He maps the game out, the players have to execute. He can't make the ball go in when the players take an open shot.

5. gamor

gamor Member

Some rockets fans really amaze me. They always can find a target to bash after a loss. what rockets is now is what Rockets supposed to be or better than expections. With tmac bails out this season, we have no chance with playoff. can we just enjoy the ride we having now? at least the Current Record: 43 - 25 , is not that bad, not bad at all with a incomplete team.

6. Crab_Dribble

Crab_Dribble Member

Yao IS better than both were.

7. TheBigAristotle

Do not post after a loss immediately. Ever.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

first jvg is too totalitarian.

now RA is too laid back.

i swear you couldn't script a whinier bunch of ingrate fans than what we have here.

9. OlajuwonShake34

I'm loving the no healthy T-Mac excuse this year. Do you guys not understand that HE'S DONE? He has no chance coming back to the player we saw in the Orlando Magic uniform. Nor does he have a chance coming back to the player we saw in 2004-2005.

RA's system was more suited for T-mac, since he did have a player similar to him in Clyde Drexler. I am just tired of his 4th quarter mistakes, his lack of managing minutes and his inability to teach players anything.

This team has no true leader vocally, most of the time the coach should be the one leading vocally, but he has no voice.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i think you missed this part of my post:

re-read that a few times before you decide to post again

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

just checked it. i remember those threads too. that's hilarious!

12. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I have always thought let go JVG was a huge huge mistake. His style while ugly, fit the team well. That team just had a talent deficit, period. They should stick with him longer.

But on the other hand, I am not sure Landry and Scola will flourish under JVG though...

13. OlajuwonShake34

Scola and Landry have never been Rockets if it weren't for Adelman. I am just not a fan of how Adelman is handling his players.

Really, Adelman has brought all the tools he needs to win a title. He just doesn't know how to use any of them. JVG was a coach that would only let veterans play and leave the young guys and rookies in the dog house.

Example: V-Span, Nachabar, Bonzi Wells

RA would probably do a good job at being a GM for this team though.

14. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I'm willing to bet that the players feel differently about how they are being handled.

15. OlajuwonShake34

Probably since guys like Artest and Brooks have no limitations on how many shots they get to jack up each night. If we had players with more balls and cared more about winning It could be a different story.

16. Raven

Raven Member

The coach is not the problem. The problem (which every team except 4-6 share) is that the Rockets simply don't have enough talent to legitimitely compete for a championship.

17. OlajuwonShake34

I don't think so, people have said that we def. have the talent and we look great.....on paper. Really, RA's laid back personality doesn't fit this organization and his style of play doesn't fit this team.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Exactly. There just isn't anybody available (Avery, JVG, Flip, Fratello, whoever) that would be a significant upgrade over Adelman. Whether you go by accomplishments, winning percentages, fit, whatever. I just don't see it.

Furthermore, Adelman is top five in both overall winning percentage and playoff winning percentages among active coaches. Who beats him out? Pop, Phil, Stan Van Gundy and Mike Brown. Those are the only four active coaches with better track records than Adelman and two of those guys (SVG, Brown) have coached three teams for a combined nine seasons. Adelman has had success with three teams in 18 seasons.

Just wanted to throw those numbers out there for any armchair GM's that really think Adelman would so easily be replaced with an equal or better.

19. OlajuwonShake34

To be fair, Adelman isn't a significant upgrade over JVG anyways. It was an upgrade for sure but it wasn't significant. It looks more like a lateral move. If we succeed in the playoffs, I would have absolutely no problem with Adelman being our coach for the next 4-5 years. However, I am currently worried with this team, so maybe a new coach next season could fix that or something.

All I am saying is, If we don't AT LEAST get out of the 1st round Adelman should be gone because he has done nothing.

Enough of the no healthy T-Mac excuse, he's done. His game is built off of athletic ability and everybody who came off of micro-fracture knee surgery during their age never got their athletic ability back.

Example: Jamal Mashburn, A. McDyess

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Sure, at the very least it's a lateral move. But you act like there was an alternative in the matter. JVG wanted out. He made those comments after we blew the Jazz series and essentially sealed his own fate. We went out and hired Adelman who at the very least is just as good as JVG. Different styles -- for sure -- but still just as accomplished, just as capable of winning with that group. It was a very smart hire on our part.

...and I don't see how JVG was deserving of four years at the helm yet Adelman only deserves two. Adelman already bested JVG's best mark for wins as Rocket in his first season. Agreed though that Adelman needs to get this group out of the first round regardless of the circumstances. It's embarrassing to go as long as we have without winning a playoff series.