1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Yao Ming - 2nd Career Three Pointer (3.13.09)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

loved it.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That the next step. he doesnt have to be dirk, just be able to step off the blocks or move up the lane. he can do it and hit the shot, he's just scared to take it.

3. kwng

kwng Member

What a shot! I heard he used to nail those 3 pointers before joining the Rockets, that is until JVG change his play. I hope you can get his 3pts shots
    back to the level then. We may need him to hit a three during desperate
    situation.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's because his release is slow, especially with a defender near him. He needs to keep on practicing his stroke and gradually get better with it in game situations.

5. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Naaaaaaaaaaah, when that happens too frequently, it just shows our guards suck, failing to feed Yao the entry passes.

6. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

If I remember correctly Yao use to have a pretty dependable mid-range jumper his rookie year. I wonder if being under JVG made him lose his jumper. As we know Yao needs repetition to do well, perhaps JVG told him to spend all his time working on his low post moves. I hope this offseason he can regain his touch from the outside.

7. G Rat

G Rat Member

Watching the team jump around and celebrate is a great thing. It seems like the chemistry is much better than I have seen in a long time!

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

batkins will you make the clip available to be downloaded? i would like to have a copy of it on my comp...this three considering the point in the game and all was absolutely killer

9. lastreg

lastreg Member

It seems everybody is turned on by Yao's 3 and some even wanted to see that on a regular bases. I am not sure it's an good idea letting Yao shoot 3. IMHO there is no other way for Yao to be sucessful, and hence Rockets, but staying at low post. In other words, I still think if JVG is here now, with such supporting cast, we should be able to get western finals at least.

10. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

This is the clutch shot someone is looking for.In fact you need concentrate to terminate your opponent earlier . Not in the last few seconds

11. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I don't think that slow release is a big issue. It is not easy for anyone to block him... hey, he is on the perimeter when he launches 3, you would think the ref will have to call those hand checking fouls more strictly?

If he can do it with a decent percentage, it will help to open up the lane for Brooks or Wafer too.

12. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

he can make them on a regular basis but just never attempted them in games much. he stroked 3s with Jordan when he was like 16 or so.

13. fmp087

fmp087 Member

For a guy to be 7'6'' and have a shooting touch like that is simply amazing.

14. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Yao will be our 3-point threat.

15. mahkeses

mahkeses Member

The tallest 3 points shoter in NBA history?

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Manute Bol hit quite a few 3's in his career.

17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Ya know, I agree. Why doesn't Yao attempt more outside shots? It would certainly stretch defenses out. I wouldn't mind seeing an average of one a game.

Anyone remember Yao making the first shot of the game, a 3 pointer, against the USA in the Olympics?! That was awesome!! :D :D

18. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Manute Bol was a really good shooter indeed especially from midrange and three point.

But he was also skinny as hell...

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I loved Scola/Landry's man-hug at the end of the clip. This team is starting to show true signs of enjoying the game.

20. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

When Yao has a great shooting touch, say last time we face Lakers, we can set up him for a couple of 3s to spread the floor, you know Lakers is not a shot blocking team without Bynum, if Yao can take Gasol out of the paint, we have enough good penetrator to win that game for us. Especially at critical time, if the refs keep swallowing the whistle, Yao will become a turnover machine, in that case, it is better to set him up outside of the arch to spread the floor.