1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Numbers against the Western Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Feb 20, 2009.

1. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Another excellent read. If I may make one suggestion, that blue font is pretty brutal on the eyes, at least if you've got it set on CF Dark.

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Thanks! I'm using CF Original so it looks pretty good to me. Any suggestions on what font to use? I'd like to have the Contenders stand out in the team schedules.

3. Fatty FatBastard

As long as you're tweaking, can you get the columns flush again, like they were before? Makes it a lot easier to see your work.

4. ScriboErgoSum

Which columns aren't flush? I'm viewing it in CF Original, and all the columns are right justified except the team name which is left justified.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

As crappy as Denver has looked, I went back and reevaluated the schedules and what has happened over the last two weeks and determined that everything is within the margin of error. Denver is performing almost as expected with 1 bad loss. The Rockets are performing slightly better than expected only because they haven't had a bad loss yet (for up until T-Mac opted for surgery, the Rockets had 1 bad loss for every 2.3 easy wins). A bad loss to me is losing a game you're definitely supposed to win. The Rockets only have I think 4 easy games left and if according to their performance up until the last 2 months, they're due to lose 1 or 2 of them...which would be killer. It would be huge if they can take all 4 and then play above .500 ball in their toss-ups.

Denver is still 3 to me, at worst 4. Even though Utah went crazy good for a while, I don't think they can sustain their torrid pace. They have way too many tossups, and while I don't think they'll lose them all, it's not going to be dominance by Utah by any standard.
    Utah's tossups: @Mia, @Orl, Hou, @Pho, Pho, @Por, @Den, @NOH, @Dal, @San, @LAL
    Utah's gimmes: Was, @OKC, NYK, Min, GS, LAC

Denver has the easier path.
    tossups: @Pho, @NOH, @Dal, Uta, @LAL, @Por
    gimmes: LAC, NJ, @Mem, Was, GS, NYK, LAC, @Min, OKC, Sac

Denver hosts Utah April 2 on TNT. It's not a stretch to say that the winner of that game wins the division, because it'll probably be for the tiebreaker.

6. gwatson86

That one is Royal Blue, and it looks pretty good in Original or Dark. I don't know what's up with that other blue or if anyone else has this problem, but it messes with my eyes really bad.

7. ScriboErgoSum

I'm with you to a degree. The Nuggets should win this division, but I just can't overlook the past month. I know they played on the road, and some of the losses weren't completely unexpected. But I've watched parts of their recent games, and they look lost out there and do not look like a team that can dominate on a nightly basis. They will have moments of brilliance, but also tons of lows. I don't think they'll go 10-0 against those gimmes, and they play 5 of those tossups on the road. I pegged them at 7-3 against the gimmes and 2-4 against the tossups, which doesn't seem that farfetched. I'm curious how they'll do the next 7 games. 3-4 seems reasonable.

I think Utah will definitely fall off as they play Contenders on the road. If they completely bomb them, they could fall really far in the standings. #7 or #8 doesn't seem out of the question.

However, the wild card in this is definitely the Blazers. They have games left against both the Jazz and Nuggets in Portland. If they take those games and continue playing well, they could easily overtake both teams and win the division.

With just a 1/2 game separating all 3 teams, no outcome would surprise me.

8. ScriboErgoSum

It does look better in the Dark and about the same in Original. I went ahead and edited the State of the Race post to use RoyalBlue, and I'll use that for my weekly updates for the rest of the season.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Hornets have a easy schedule, should be #3 seed, Jazz flop, rockets, and blazers have the tough schedules, so should be after #3 seeds. I like your projected matchups so far, I do not mind face Hornets either if we get #6 seed.

"Projected Matchups:
    #1 Lakers hosting #8 Nuggets
    #2 Spurs hosting #7 Mavs
    #3 Hornets hosting #6 Jazz
    #5 Rockets hosting #4 Blazers"

10. Fatty FatBastard

The last one or two entries are falling below on regular size (ie. office) monitors.

11. ScriboErgoSum

I wondered about that. I usually post on my laptop, and it barely fits. I'll chop a few of the margins down a character to make up for the L10 column.

12. ScriboErgoSum

I edited the last Magic Number post. Let me know how it looks on your monitor now.

#292 ScriboErgoSum, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  13. gwatson86

Sorry for the slow response, but it looks great now, thanks!

14. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Looks like no one except Dallas, who is losing at the moment to GS, is helping us out tonight. Portland won, NO won.

15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

So if all the home court teams won, would it be Hornets/Lakers and Spurs/Rockets?

16. yaofan07

yaofan07 Member

No, Lakers/Rockets and Spurs/Hornets

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

effing nets blew it for us tonight.

the most important game of the night (our own) went our way, and the mavs lost so we have a little cushion on top of them now. too bad about the hornets and blazers getting wins.

can't wait for scribo's recap.

18. kwng

kwng Member

Dallas lost. So that should improve our chance to the playoffs.

19. Hou.SportsFan

Hou.SportsFan Contributing Member

how well it lines up also depends on the viewers screen res. i had to adjust mine to a higher resolution to make it work... just thought i would say that incase it helps

20. kejohn

kejohn Member

My projected matchups

#1 LAL 60+ wins V #8 Dall 49 wins
    #2 SAS 56 V #7 Port 51
    #3 NO 53 V #6 UT 51
    #4 Hou 52 V #5 Den 52

Denver's schedule is easiest and Utah's is more difficult.

I don't see LAL, SAS or DAL moving from their current seeding of 1, 2 and 8, respectively, so any movement would be amongst the #3 through #7 seeds.

Each of the #3 through #7 seeds should finish with 51 to 53 wins, so the Rockets could finish as low as #7 even with 51 wins. If they finish with 53 wins, I think they can capture the # 3 seed.

If they can beat NOH twice and win the other games they are supposed to win, they be able to keep the #3 seed.

Back to my predictions:

I predict #4 Hou vs # 5 Den

If Utah bests Den, then #4 Rockets Vs. #5 Utah

If Rox stay ahead of NO, then root for Utah to finish ahead of Denver so # 3 Rockets Vs. #6 Denver or it will be #3 Rockets Vs. #6 Utah.

If Rox stay ahead of NO, then root for Port to move up to #6 seed so #3 Rockets Vs. #6 Portland.

In any event, if looks like Rox will play either UT, Den or Port and Rox should have home court in the first round.

Best case scenario (unless by some miracle we get the No. 2 seed) would be # 3 seed, playing Portland, then SAS, then LAL, (even better if LAL and SAS lose in the first round- fat chance of that).