1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ron artest scoring position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Mar 13, 2009.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i didn't watch the game tonight, but i doubt there was something drastically different that i missed in this one game from what i have seen in the others.

from watching him, it's clear that he is at his very best catching it on the right block where he can then drive left to the middle and power his way inside or take that fadeaway shot. this spot is absolutely ideal for him because it allows him to a) go to his strong left hand and b) since it's fairly close, he doesn't have to take too many dribbles and can use his power.

watching ron, its not that he has terrible handles like luther head - his initial move is crisp. his problem is that he gets very sloppy on counter moves.

however, almost every time i see him get the ball he is up top where tracy used to be. i don't really get it. this is the absolute worse place on the court for him. when he has to take that many dribbles through the middle of the lane on the drive, he loses control for a combination of reasons. he gets sloppy having to cross over or just doesn't have body control or adequate quickness.

in addition, why does he never get it in the post? i remember with indiana, he was an absolute beast in the post. i don't know why that would have changed.

i want to see him get it in the post, or out on the right block/wing, or spotting up for corner threes. anything up top and down the middle is a very low percentage option for him and any shot going to his right is a low percentage option.

2. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

He's been playing one man basketball lately.

3. ibm

ibm Member

i haven't counted, but his one dribble to the left move is very high %. feels like way over 50% from the 3pt land.

bake and shake ain't his strong hold obviously, though i'm sure he himself won't admit it. he'd be much better off on catch-n-shoot.

4. Chamillionaire

that's fine as long as he's scoring, but he does need to learn to defer to yao more often.

5. Hou.SportsFan

Hou.SportsFan Contributing Member

haha everyone needs to learn to defer to yao more...

It would be great to see Ron in the post more but it just dosn't happen with this team. Even though we have capable post players there are no plays for anyone but Yao in the post, even when T-mac posted up it seemed more often than not it was because he got the ball on the wing and backed his defender all the way down. Everything the OP said seems to be right but when Ron touches the ball you never really know what is going to happen, then he starts missing some shots and I start to think, man if he would only post up, man if he would only drive to the rim strong, and then he makes some sort of crazy shot that you could never believe is going to go in and all of those bad shots fade from memory.

6. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

Ron is fighting for his statistics now, not for the team! Same for AB and others, except Yao and Battier.

7. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

I haven't seen him post in the past 30 games, I think he really wants that $$ in the offseason

8. Chamillionaire

if we make the playoffs and get past the 1st round and put up a good series in the 2nd, he'll get that raise he's looking for. guaranteed. he's one of the better 2 way players in the league, hustles and built like a tank. someone, somewhere will want his services. i hope we keep him.

9. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

he needs to be put in a position where dribbling is the last option..send him off a screen or somethin.

10. Chamillionaire

not a good move imo, needs to stay aggressive and consistently taking it to the rack.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bingo.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

His dribbles, his back to the basket technique, his passing out of a drive.. its all identical to Barkley. Except Barkley did it better. He needs to watch Barkley film and figure it out.

13. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I believe a lot of it is in his footwork, he is the absence of footwork, he just hustles on defense which is why he plays well but on offense his footwork when dribbling is hilarious to watch. His first step is shorter that AB's, i mean come on the guys like 6'8 he should have a monster first step, but ron seems to take a lot of little steps.

14. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Agreed. Because come playoff, defense will be more tough and very likely he will commit more TO.

15. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Frankly, I love how he has been scoring as of late, but I think he does a better for the team by role playing and still possibly putting up 15-20 pts per. I would rather see a bulk of the points coming from Yao/Scola/Brooks

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

But mentally as crazy as Jack Nicholson in "The Shining" and "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

from what i've seen him this year, he's a TERRIBLE player off the dribble for a star-level player, absolutely atrocious.

he's great at shooting if he spots up and just shoots or takes just one dribble and shoots. but if he has to do anymore than that to create his own shot, trust me, 95% it's going to be a brick and a bad shot.

he needs to understand he's not a playmaker or a guy who can create off the dribble. focus on his best attributes and that'll help us.

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Exactly. Great post.

He is TERRIBLE off the dribble and he is also TERRIBLE on the post. I mean really. People tell he is so strong, sure he is, but I just don't see that when he is on the post.

He is shooting a great % from beyond the arc this season (he is 0-10 in his last 2 games, though)

I have a problem with Artest. When it is a close game he usually takes over and it doesn't do any better for the team. I am just tired of seeing him jacking up long 3s when the game is on the line.

HE HAS TO TRUST HIS TEAMMATES!