1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao who hans't taken 20 or more shots in a game since late December!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by superweapon-yao, Mar 12, 2009.

1. OlajuwonShake34

That seems like a good solution. I wouldn't be surprised if he develops it during the off-season. Since he is no longer playing for Team China and he retired over there.

During Yao's rookie year he did have a very good mid-range game, JVG took that away from him and made him play in the low post much more and that made him so dominant.

Really, if JVG never coached here he would be EXACTLY like Rik Smits.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

unless you are so physically dominant (ala shaq or dwight howard), playing exclusively inside isn't a feasible thing.

for yao, v. teams who play him straight up, then he's going to dominate. but teams that scheme and front and things like that, it's tough.

i think adelman tried to do that last year earlier on where he tried to make yao into a high post player along with a low post player and it failed (yao even complained). so i don't know if yao will work on that facet of his game. i would. it's like dwade or lebron adding a midrange game to their games -> make them harder to guard.

but yao looks so clumsy beyond 10 ft that i don't know if it will happen. let's pray that it will. if he can develop a consistent midrange game, then he might be able to man the offense.

3. OlajuwonShake34

Well, under JVG he didn't look that clumsy. He has probably made more terrible plays this season than he has throughout this career.

But Yes, adding a mid-range game will help a lot. He needs to start becoming like Duncan and not like Shaq.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think the problem last year was Adelman used him mostly as a passer from there, so yao spent a lot of time holding on to the ball looking around or holding it waiting for someone else to do something...he needs to just let him pop out to catch and shoot, it needs to be quick and decisive because Yao gets in trouble anytime he just holds the ball.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's suffering from not having a guy that deserves a double team on the perimeter. he used to have some one on one opportunities. not anymore. more telling is that his touches have gone up, but shots have gone down. think of that before blaming the teammates or coach.

the rockets want to go to him every time down. he gets the ball almost every time, but the defense collapses with doubles, traps, zones, etc. yao has to find the open man because the defense is daring ANYONE else to beat them.

sometimes it's not as easy as deciding to give the ball to yao. sure he's a big target, but he's not mobile at all. he can't catch the lob over the front. he can't seal his man from shading him to one side. sometimes throwing it into him will lead to a turnover because yao can't make the catch. so the team rightfully goes elsewhere.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

earlier on he took quite a few jumpshots from there. he didn't make them so he looked more to pass. but if you remember last yr, adelman said quite often earlier on for yao just to shoot that shot.

7. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. Yao is never going to get 20 shots from the post. Its just not possible, especially with the amount of turnovers he would end up having. A lot of good big men get points off the jumpshot off of a pick and roll. I am surprised we don't try this more.

8. jlwee

jlwee Member

Yao will average 10TOs per game if they tried to force feeds.

We all wish Yao can average 20 shots per game then Yao will average at least 25PPG and we all know when Yao scored more than 20 points the team record is GREAT.

But after watching Yao for 7 years we all know it wont happen due to:
    (1) Lack of dominate mentality.
    He wants to make his teammates happy so he shares the ball.
    He is not vocal enough and to demand the ball even from Brooks what else you expect he demands the ball from player like Artest.
    Incredibly always wait for double teams to come when he had the ball in the post. People blame this on Adelman's game plan. Fxxk it. Even dated back to JVG era, this happened. So it has nothing to do with coaches but Yao himself.
    All these lead to fewer shots attempt and this is all on Yao himself you can't his teammates or coaching staff!

(2) Inability to beat fronting, seal off his man, fought through double teams.
    This is one major issue and it has been the past 7 seasons. PG's problem? We have had Francis, Norris, Sura, James, Rafer, Jackson, Strickland, Brooks, Lowry etc etc. That are tons of PGs but no one can pass Yao the ball effectively, can you believe it? The real problem is Yao who is just no physical and too kind to elbow his opponents to create space... :(

(3) Stamina issue. If you forced feed Yao, he may shoot at high percentage in the first 3 quarters. But when he run out of gas in the fourth quarter Yao will be become extremely clumsy, that's where his TOs pile up, and miss point blank shots.

Conclusion, Yao just don't have the mentality and physicality to shoot more than 20 times a game. Guess that's why Yao is a very good center and not a great center we all hope him to be! :(

9. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

If Yao has that mentality, physicality won't be a problem.
    It will save lots of energy, if he
    1. doesn't wait for the double team;
    2. takes some jumpers after the P&R;
    3. cut down repost.

10. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

Yao is a role player now.

11. doggfrenzy2

doggfrenzy2 Member

RA did a great job turning Yao into Brad Miller/Vlade Divac, so don't sweat it when Yao doesn't take 20 shots a game

12. testmojo

testmojo Member

It's r****ded to say yao don't have this and that for 20 shot per game. Even wafer can shot 20. Yao is way smarter than you. I think he already had the idea of how to play in rox in last two seasons. He is matured guy, not a kid anymore. He want more bucks for his ban.

13. choujie

choujie Member

No. Yao's touches are down by a big marigin, not up.

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

blame it one dam coaches for not teaching him the bank shots, i dont even think they added anything to his game. his #s were alot better before.

15. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

The biggest problem I see with Yao offensively: the dude is exclusively low-post on the offensive end, which makes him very easy to defend (by making it very difficult for him to get the ball in his comfort zone). I had hoped to see him expand his range and his game under Adelman, but it hasn't happened at all. I mean we all heard about how well he could shoot (even out to 3 pt line), so how come we never see him shoot some mid-range shots off the pick n roll (Yao called it pick n pop ... so he understands the concept and knows how to execute it). Basically, if he can't get enough shots from the post, he needs to get them some other way. And if he's such a good shooter (as we've heard about) I'd like to see him take a few more outside shots. If Yao wants to be great, he needs to expand his game.

16. chasingu

chasingu Member

but we have raised our points per game by 3 since then

17. shioew

shioew Member

He will never get more than even 15 shots, unless rox can get rid of the Fronting difficulity.... IMO, thats the most key problem the group of coach need to work out