1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao is THE most unclutch player EVER

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stobbartjohn, Mar 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mms

mms Member

Aren't we talking bout Yao? Why bring tmac here? To answer your question, I'd rather count on AB than Tofu when it matters.

2. TheTrendSetter

He is the only guy that can pass it to Yao. He can make others comfortable to shoot their shot.

3. NYRangers

NYRangers Member

This is the first time I heard Worrel and Clyde make any attempt at pointing our his huge blunders.

Clyde " he didn't even see the guy coming (after he got stripped)" I counted 4 times he said that during the game with a big exclimationon the last TO late in the 4th.

Worrel" You must seal off your MAN!!!"

Coming from such homers really says something.

4. slugyang

slugyang Member

I dont think so. Once a hater always a hater. When the time comes, one like "redao",pure hater, will be hate Gasol, when Rox lose a game. They just easily forget the games we won and our team's effort. Even kobe comes. He just lost some games last week. They need a player never loss a game.lol.

5. longliverox

longliverox Member

I know this kind of post will keep on going and going!

6. The Brian

The Brian Member

gasol being the top option is stupid.

gasol is softer than yao and doesn't even demand a constant double.

7. Slumdog

Slumdog Member

best joke i've heard all day my friend

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yao isn't really unclutch. He just isn't a superstar player...not the kind that we are used to seeing. I can't call you dominant when fronting and other methods can take you out of the game.

This isn't a bash Yao post. He is arguably the best pivot today but he is what he is....

9. leonking

leonking Rookie

Trade him for Gasol or Bosh please.

10. zzc1818

zzc1818 Member

AB also a reason that why Yao's off tonight, he just never know how to pass to Yao. I rather trust lowry more than him

11. RocketsBearFan

Why is Yao's clutchness even an issue? The team is basically a jump shooting team and isn't focused on the inside-out game anymore. Adelman has made it clear that Yao isn't to get more than 10-11 shots a game so we're basically gonna live or die with our wing players jumpshots.

12. babydill

babydill Member

You just changed the subject completely, but that's another issue.

I'm not denying the times after he catches the ball. He has not consistently learned how to avoid the double team.

But another thing that I absolutely cannot stand about fans is the "hands" issue. You can have a Yao type player or you can have a Shaq type player. You cannot have both. He has soft hands for a big man...yes, we know. Those soft hands allow him to do a LOT of the things fans get riled up about. They also help another key factor in why this team is so threatening...FREE THROWS. You start trying to turn him into this stone handed, dunking machine, and I PROMISE you, you lose a lot of the finesse and post-moves that he currently has.

I'm not a Yao fanboy, or any other fanboy for that matter, other than the Rockets. He does have problems with aspects of the game that will never change.

But I absolutely, positively can not stand the knee-jerk reaction of this board and the assumption that it's 100% a big mans fault for not sealing off a man -- oh yeah, and you forget to mention the other 1-2 players on top of that straying down into the paint. Why? Because we don't have spacing, we don't have ball movement. We don't have anything other than a telegraphed pass to a guy being swarmed with defenders. But hey, he should be able to leap above them...he isssssss 7'6 :rolleyes:

Keep your eye on where our guards typically make an entry pass from out on the three point line...the angle they (typically AB/BatMan) take is below the free throw line (e.g. in towards the corner)....that is an AWFUL position to be in and I see it quite often. If people still think this stuff is all on Yao, I can say with certainty, I pray I never have to play ball with them.

13. dero72

dero72 Member

It does.
    Those guys who see it night in, night out...no doubt the pick up on these things before we do.
    I love that big Chinaman to death...but he has to be agressive.
    He's mentally hemmed in by a combination of what i perceive as severely flawed fundamental 'shortcuts' and more importantly, a seemingly always-beneath-the-surface tendency to be intimidated...intimidated by either his opponent or a situation.
    The first one can be fixed 'in season'...i believe the latter problem needs an off-season solution...time spent with him here.
    He said it himself...the NBA game is 'too fast'. He cannot be 'THE guy' and simultaneously feel that way about the game. Its oil and water. I remember Hakeem in an interview saying that Yao needed to realize that he is 'the man' on the court at any given time...and he must dominate. He mustn't 'wait on the game. He must TAKE the game'.

No disrespect to anyone else here...but DREAM is a pretty good authority.

14. Slumdog

Slumdog Member

everybody is pissed after a loss but please at least be constructable with your replies man. good luck counting on AB then..... a 4' midget can't bring any success in the playoffs.

15. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

Bottom line I think is that Yao is just not good enough to be the best player on a championship team. We don't have that guy on this team. We have a very good 2nd option (Yao) and 3rd (Artest) along with role players, but we are missing our one main guy. Unfortunately those guys don't grow on trees and not many teams have a player like that. TMac is not the answer either. I still believe this team can get out of the 1st round with Yao being its best player, but more than likely no further. I'm interested to see what Morey does this offseason to add that type of guy.

16. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I agree. I think Yao and Gasol are similar players in that, while good, they are not centerpiece players for a championship team.

Unless Yao chooses to get mean and assertive, but I don't see that happening.

The Rockets are a team without a first option now that T-Mac is gone.

17. thekad

thekad Member

This hyperbole is ridiculous. It's one game guys, and still, Yao was almost perfect from the field.

18. rocketgenius

rocketgenius Member

basically when yao isn't scoring
    he's useless

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

we won't ever win a championship with yao leading this team. he just has too many liabilities.

20. The Brian

The Brian Member

yao used to be so much more effective under van gundy...