1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How low can Battier go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kwame, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You dont get demoted because you make a thread people dont like, you get demoted by the language and verbal abuse in reponse or creating threads. I'm not on clutch crew, but since i've been here, thats pretty much what i've seen.

2. Teamwork

Teamwork Member

Please don't call me a commie. I am a 100% capitalist. It's insulting to
    call Chinese people commies.

I am not against people to have different opinions. But Kwame is a known
    and one-sided Battier hater. I am glad so many intelligent basketball fans here
    make him look like a fool.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why is he a fool because of his feelings about a player? A fool is someone that cant see.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree.

The stats show that Battier is playing poorly on offense. Full stop.

Saying he is an offensive liaility implies that his presence on offense reduces the team's offensive production. While that may be true, no stats were presented to show it.

There was a poor conclusion made by taking stats which say one thing to form an opinion on something else. This could be true, but n stats were shown to support it. This would aso be fine to an extent if there was no way to statistically determine Battier's effect on the team's offensive production. But there is a way, and this is not it, nor should this be used as the tell-all sign that Battier reduces the TEAM's offensive production.

5. Teamwork

Teamwork Member

Hey leebigez,

napalm_black called me a commie which I am not. I considered that's
    insulting and verbal abused. Should he get demoted?

6. Exiscion

Exiscion Member

I know that Shane is a good defensive player, but his offensive deficiency is too great to merit the amount of minutes that he's playing per game. His offensive production and efficiency has also been declining each year since he's been in Houston. This is not a good trend.

Year Team FG% 3P% PPG
    06-07 HOU 0.446 0.421 10.1
    07-08 HOU 0.428 0.377 9.3
    08-09 HOU 0.386 0.368 6.6

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

People like Rick Adelman, Daryl Morey, JVG, etc. -- people who know a bit about basketball -- seem to think the intangibles *do* make up for the lack of stats. Sorry, Battier-bashers, but if the choice is whether to go with your instincts or theirs, you guys are SOL.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

all i know is the past 2 playoff series, ak47 and harpring have thoroughly outplayed shane battier. and he's worse this year. that's all i know.

9. Got Em

Got Em Member

10. Teamwork

Teamwork Member

A fool is someone who does not use his God-given intuition to see things
    and the big picture.

Kwme only uses his colored eye-balls when it comes to Battier. I did not mean
    to insult him using the word 'fool', may be ignorant is a better word ?

11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

$ for $, ak47 did NOT outplay Battier. Don't forget ak47 is on a max contract for something like $47 mil. Would you rather have Battier and his contract or ak47 and hit contract? Me? I'd take Battier everyday.

...and Harpring, I have no memory of him "outplaying" Battier. I don't ever remember Harpring putting up 22 points, for example.

12. jsd59

jsd59 Member

you fans are FICKLED if another player had the same stats yall would say trade him he makes too much money(TMAC).....but its ok for battier to stink up the court every night.i get tired of this 1 sided opinions...make up your damn minds.....battier suks simple as that he needs to sit his butt down untill he realizes we need more than what he is giving...his mans scores 25 he scores 3 we lose flat as that....be real people

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Given the context of my post, it was clearly a joke and in no way referred to your economic ideas. Sorry to offend.

Eventually haters will always be made to look like fools. :)

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Now I am getting a little miffed. "Commie" is a slang term meaning people who want to force everyone to think the same way. You were advocating demoting the guy simply because his opinion was extreme and different. Why is this such a big deal? I meant it lightheartedly and have since apologized, but I see that it really affected you. Maybe you should consider not posting on a forum where people's differing opinions are likely to cause conflict?

15. mooseatwork

mooseatwork Member

it's dissapointing to see his offensive stats are down this year specificly his fg%, but calling him an offensive liability is a bit much, hes not chuck hayes. I would assume his foot and the lack off atempts are to blame for the slumping stats.

But I can appretiate the fact that he's not out there forcing shots up trying to increase his ppg to appease some of the people on this board

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

...that all three of you are clueless

...as evidenced by this trash:

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wouldnt say it's a bad spot. First of all, it's their best role players who are/were over 30. Rafer was one, and now he's gone. Battier is another and he's right at 30, which gives him at least 2 more solid years, possibly 3 since he doesn't rely on athleticism. Everyone else who is significant is 29 or under. Yao is 28, Ron is 29. Tmac is 29 and he may be replaced by a younger star. Brooks is 24, landry 25, chuck 25, Lowry 22, Scola 28, Wafer 23. Even the scrubs are short of 30. It's definitely coming close to the squeeze play, but I think they still have another year before it do or die and that puts them right at the summer of 2010, so it's not crazy to acquire a big name that summer. Either way, morey has stated they aren't set on 2010, they definitely are looking to improve as of now and will pull the trigger on a trade/FA this summer if a good opportunity presented itself. Morey has hinted that they're not exactly holding out for a big name, mainly because they don't think they can get it, but that other teams who want to have a shot may end up having a sale and giving up solid players and that's where Houston can cash in.

18. Teamwork

Teamwork Member

We don't need him to score a bunch. We have other players to do that.

We need Battier to provide that defensive intensity which he does so
    well. He spread that intensity to his teams on the court. Why can't you
    Battier bashers see that?

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

so does chuck hayes. i don't see chuck hayes getting 40 mins a game. i don't see chuck hayes getting paid $7 mil a year.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

in the last unsuccesful Battier Sucks thread, someone stated shane didn't show up in the playoffs, i looked up and posted how pretty much all his state went up, including shooting percentages the last two playoffs. That tells me Shane stepped it up. For you to say he was "outplayed" by AK is like saying Rafer was outplayed by Deron. No *****! AK doesnt pile up stats like he once did, but he's still a very good player and definitely better than Battier overall. Of course he's capable and should outplay him. As for Harpring, he benefits greatly from a great system there. He and Korver were getting all kinds of great looks because Boozer or Okur were killings us. All you're doing is looking at the boxscore and saying, oh AK and Harpring had more than shane, so they outplayed him, but think about WHY that happened, where was shane? More than likely doubling a hot Boozer or Okur or chasing them down after they got open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.