1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone in Plan 2 Honors at UT Austin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, Mar 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

is neuroscience a major...if not, then my route will probably be NEUROBIOLOGY...

i checked some of the profiles of other students..and they have PreMed/Plan 2...

isn't there a special pre med program for plan 2??

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

vstexas

i have no idea what UT is like I went to UCLA myself, but just a word of advice mentioned by some of the others here:

Go and talk to the academic advisors/councilors on campus about whatever program you want to try to get into. They will be your best source for answers and guidance. They should see you even though you are not currently enrolled on campus as a prospective student.

Do not just take some program just because you want a "rigorous" curriculum. In fact do not pick a major before hand without thinking carefully if that is what you really want to do. I was forced into an engineering major by my parents after I turned down a pretty good med school program offered by UCSD. While I enjoyed some aspects of engineering I knew after my first quarter that it wasnt the right major for me. It took me over a year to change my major to something I actually liked and many arguments with my parents, relatives and their friends. I finally did change to something I wanted to do and my college experience was completely different from then on. I totally loved the entire situation and miss it at times. I feel like I missed out on a lot of growing both academically and as a person that first year since i was always just upset all the time having to be in engineering.

I dont know if picking neurobiology/science is something you really want to do. from reading your posts so far in this thread it doesnt sound like you have your mind set on something and would rather have someone else help make your own decisions for you. That is not the way to go, if you have to I would actually come in undeclared and then see what intrigues you the most. Like someone mentioned earlier if you are dead set on going to med school you could major in anything and just take the pre-req classes that are necessary for med school and do well on the MCAT.

trust me i know the situation i'm a first generation indian as well and know sometimes the unecessary and harmful external pressures that get put on indian kids when it comes to education.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I think you should ask Coach Muschamp for his advice.

4. ultimatepaki

ultimatepaki Member

I got rejected from dean scholars 4 years ago. I was bummed out by it too, but I didn't really miss out on much. They got some free food every now and then for being in the program, but I don't know if it really helped them get into med school.

I was not in any honors program and just graduated with a plain old BA in Biology.
    The reason I'm in med school now is because I worked my ass off. Now that I'm in I'm working my ass off 10X more than I did before.

GPA + MCAT by far outweigh any of the other factors to get into med school.
    you can get in with any major, so pick what you want to do, not because it has some prestige associated with it. By the same token, I actually recommend not doing just a biology degree because it's not easy to get a job with it if you don't get into med school.

Hook 'em

5. vstexas09

well...im definitely set on going into surgery, and this is not by my parents...

i really take a liking to medicine, seeing as i am surrounded by friends who are doctors themselves...

i feel that plan 2 is something that sets students apart from the regulars...

if you get into UT, it's just big, and crowded, but plan 2 is something that sets you apart...gives you a different learning experience....

i really wish i get in...

i applied to georgetown....and if i get in...i hope i get the money...

6. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

My bad, Doogie Howser.

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/jkfUg8Un6z7cTNg6SKeDfw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/jkfUg8Un6z7cTNg6SKeDfw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

7. vstexas09

that was clean...but...???

advice??

8. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

My advice:

Always be humble. It seems to me like you are trying to showcase your intelligence to all these Rockets fans that could probably care less. This entire thread seems very pretentious and I hope you learn a thing or two about humility when you get to college.

P.S. Get off the BBS and talk to an academic adviser like many have suggested. No one here will honestly be able to help you.

---

This may have been a little harsh, but it takes a swift kick in the pants for people to really learn.

9. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

Dude, premed is NOT a major. Someone should slap you now. I don't care what their profile says. Premed is a designated set of classes you must take before applying to med school. Its not a major... if anything... it could only possibly count as a minor (because there arent enought classes for more than 120 hours)!! If you want to know about premed at UT then visit and contact the health organization biz. If you ask them about majoring in Premed they will laugh at you (ok, probably not...only because they have to pretend to be nice).
    man, you have a lot to learn... neuroscience and neurobiology are the same damn thing. have you looked at any information UT provides?
    And how the hell do you know.. as a high school senior, that you want to be as a surgeon? I guarantee you that will change. You don't even know what other fields have to offer you... if you're as smart as you want to sound, do yourself a favor and just learn everything thrown at you at UT. Start undeclared because obviously you dont know much

10. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Not sure I understand the hate for Plan II because I've really enjoyed being in the program. Except Plan II Physics is killing me right now.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Cool story bro.

PS: This thread is 5 years old.

12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Huh. I thought it came up in the main hangout recently, but clearly it didn't. I must have clicked on a random link. Sorry.

13. Bob Barker 007

Lots of misconceptions about the program on here. It's not just a "sticker" you get on your diploma; it's a full 120 hour degree program that has all of the benefits of an honors program. It's also not written as 'Plan 2.' The correct form is 'Plan II.' Business Honors is the same as a normal business degree and even has mostly the same professors. The only difference is classes will be exclusive to the BHP major and his fellow douchebags. Plan II, on the other hand, involves a wide variety of material in the arts and sciences and the best teachers at the university, not just in the business school. Plan II definitely helps with finding a job if one emphasizes the diversity in thinking he gained from the coursework.