1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any thoughts about the solution to floppers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by longliverox, Mar 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Send them to the Arctic to be clubbed.

But seriously, if Yao get some balls and be mean, he should flop right after the flopper. It works like this: flopper flops, ref blows (whistle), Yao "lose" balance and falls right after the flopper. If the whole thing is done correctly that would mean 300lb come crashing down on flopper's legs.

2. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

I think if the NBA was so concerned with flopping they would have cleaned it up years ago

I don't think it's going anywhere and the players will just have to adjust. But the refs have to do a better job on distinguishing what's a flop and what's not.

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Here's my latest idea: have one more league employee a game, doesn't have to be a full salaried referee if the league needs to save money, watch a TV monitor that feeds him the television camera angle (or even a TV broadcast) at courtside. Whereas the floor referees can have their vision blocked by gigantic bodies moving at warp speed and their focus distracted by floppers and multiple moving objects in their field of vision, the camera referee can see everything we see on our TV screens as well and be in a better position to blow a whistle that a floor referee might miss.

4. DaG.O.A.T

DaG.O.A.T Member

hit them in the mouth and give them somethin 2 flop about

5. stanleykurtz

stanleykurtz Member

Put 4 referees on the floor.

6. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

The "Review after the game, hand out fines, eventual suspensions" system is so obvious and simple that the only reason why the league isn't adopting it could be that they just don't care. As someone said, the fans whine but they still fill the seats and watch the games on TV.

But, and I have no idea how Bullard and some posters here cannot see this, telling the refs to give technical fouls to the floppers would be insane! Why do the refs fall for the flops in the first place? My guess is they think there is legitimate contact. What happens if they're told to give technicals for flopping? Nothing, at best. It could cause even more havoc.

I also like the idea of making sure the flopper doesn't have to flop the next time down the court. That's what I would do if the league doesn't do anything.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

most are international players, what does that say?

8. King901

King901 Member

Hallf way agree. Hit them hard if you know they're going to flop so they are too sore to do it again.

9. maopaopao

maopaopao Member

useless, rockets have no respect from **** refs.

10. allforone

allforone Member

As much as i hate them ,the Jazz are maximizing their flopping strength to make use of the rules . :mad:

i know i'm making a clueless point

11. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

Deal with it. Matt Bullard complains 24/7 about it. He does more analyzing the referees than the game. Horrible!!! Don't get me wrong, I hate the calls myself but Im not going to cry a river about it. It happens.

12. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

Its probably racism directed at Yao, who is Chinese. I have been watching the NBA for 20 years and have never seen so many BS fouls called against one player in any given night. They do it to Yao in order to frustrate him and take him out of the game any way they can.

Lets face it, this is America and people don't want to see no China man winning against the elite teams of the NBA, fairly or not.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If I were Yao.................

When the whistle blew after my defender fell down, I would all of a sudden slip and either step on him or fall on him...........hard. Just impose my own fine.

Karl Malone really had it figured out. You flop on the defensive end and then on the offensive end, you are so physically aggressive and you physically punish the defender with knees, feet, and elbows, that the defenders all give you space because they don't want to feel the pain.

Yao is stuck in the middle trying to figure out how to play the game to "not get called for the foul". He needs to play the game to FORCE THE OFFICIALS TO CHANGE THE WAY THEY CALL IT. He should become very aggressive physically. Let it happen. Take 3 offensive fouls, don't say a word, come back down and dish out a 4th to some unlucky defender, and physically punish the defender in the process. Yao is not an agressive individual. He needs to send the subconscious message to the officials and the defenders that if they call him for an offensive foul on an obvious flop, that the next time he touches the ball, he is going to really commit an aggressive offensive foul by knocking down his defender and running over him.

Yao has got to realize how you deal with bullies. You don't be Mr. Nice Guy. You brutalize them.

#33 jopatmc, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They could review them all post facto and issue fines and suspensions, the players would get the message soon enough.

DD

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I definitely agree with this part. It always has puzzled me when Bullard gets on his rant that refs should calll techs on floppers.... If the ref thought the guy was flopping he wouldn't be giving him the call in the first place!

As for reviewing after games, it may sound good, but it isn't very practical because fouls are subjective in the first place. When the Rockets like Battier take a charge, is it a flop? Certainly it would be easier to decide with replay, but in the end the players would have a great chance of appeal considering that the original ref didn't think it was a flop. So every flop fine would be appealed, and unless flopping fines were negotiated with the player's league when they renewed their deal with the NBA, it may not even be something the league could add without their consent in the first place.

16. aznphil83

aznphil83 Member

best course of action would be to have entire team play bruce bowen dirty defense after the flop. ;)

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The Rockets need to find a guy like Maurice Lucas whose sole purpose for even being on the roster is to be an ENFORCER. A guy who doesn’t care how many fouls he gets, how many suspensions he gets, etc. Any time someone flops, he gets a hard elbow to the ribs on the way down the court. Make him think twice about ever doing it again.

The problem is, there aren’t any players like that left in the league. Just a bunch of wanna-be thugs who cry like little girls when a call goes against them.

Seriously, the NBA has turned so frickin’ soft. It’s turned into a league full of titty-babies. How do you think players from the 70’s would handle floppers? These euro-pansy flopper types would leave the game with a broken jaw. Who the hell cares about getting suspended?

18. famicom

famicom Member

Unleash James White on to the court so he can dunk on defenders from the free throw line and get the And1, since apparently running into someone with their backs not turned is a foul on them.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Rather than hire another part-time employee whose qualifications or biases might be questionable, why don't we just use the box score keeper?

Flops help their teams. Why not make it a stat?

League leaders in FPG:
    Varejao, A 3.78
    Okur, M 3.31
    Ginobili, M 2.81
    Kirilenko, A 2.76

20. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

Cut their feet off