1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Woods and Ming just Hype

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D. ILLEST 1, May 9, 2002.

1. D. ILLEST 1

D. ILLEST 1 Member

I hope the Rockets pass on both of these guys. Ming is not what he's hyped to be. I don't see him having the physical skills to be anymore than the leagues newest sideshow freak i.e. Bradley and Muresan. Woods has been compared to McGrady by NBADRAFT.NET, I also remember when they compared DeShawn Stevenson to Michael Jordan. If Gooden is available and the Rockets pass on him it will be the Lewis draft all over again.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Id rather have Wilcox than Gooden if we draft a 4

3. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

I don't understand how anyone can suggest that we draft another 4. We are already packed at the 4 spot as it is. Why draft another?

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

It is more than one person who made the comparison of Woods to Mcgrady. Hype is when nobody see something and everybody is relying on one person's view. It cannot be hype on Ming when he went through a workout for everyone to see. The info on Woods have been out there now for almost a year. It has stood the test of time.

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

um, drew gooden is a damn stick figure. why draft a stick figure who lacks an outside game and was exposed for being a stick figure in the tourney?

6. knifejc

knifejc Member

Woods is just this year's Rodney White, a good buzz gets going about a guy and up jumps his draft status. I'd hold judgement on him until i actually see him play or get multiple reports about him.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I see Gooden as being nothing more than a poor man's Juwan Howard...and that is pretty damn poor.

8. Believe2000

Believe2000 Member

Deshawn Stevenson was compared to MJ. That was hype. He went 23rd and was never projected as a lottery pick.

Woods on the other hand is projected in the lotto. Top 5 maybe. Don't believe it's hype.

As for Ming. He did workout for the entire NBA and his status has not changed much. Who knows?

9. man532

man532 Member

I heard from my boys in Mississippi that Qyntel is the truth with handles better than McGrady and sweet touch. Hey a one-on-one player, Rudy is guaranteed to draft him.

I saw the video on Ming and I'm not impressed. Pass on him

10. drpepper

drpepper Member

I was listening to the Rome Show Thursday and they had some guy named I believe Scoop Williams who works for SLAM Magazine and he had spent a few days watching Ming. He said very clearly "he came to the United States with an aura of Wilt Chamberlin and left with an aura of Shawn Bradley, major disappointment". That did it for me. He said "pound for pound, Jay Williams should be the #1."

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i listened to that show as well. i hate the guy who was hosting for rome, he sucked big time. anyways, i know nothing about ming but i find it hard to judge a guy on one workout. if reports come in that he looks bad at these individual tryouts than i might believe it. right now he probably has too much upside to pass on.

12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Ming is too much of a question mark but we are picking #5 and if he slides that faryou have to take the chance. I say we trade the 5 to the Clippers for their 2 first rounders. Then maybe we can trade the Clippers second pick and our 15 to move up to the 7 thru 9 area. If we could pick 8 and 9 I think we would do well.

We might get Caron Butler and Nick Schtick or what ever.

This draft is deep.

13. Sane

Sane Member

How about we deal our #5, #15, Chicago obligation, and KT to GS or Memphis for their pick?

Then we trade Jay Williams or Dejuan Wagner to the Clippers for Odom and their #12?

At #12, they can pickup a C for frontcourt depth.

14. Greg M

Greg M Member

Do we still want Odom with Dunleavy, Woods, Butler and that ballerina all available at the 3? I say no unless the price is right.

15. Sane

Sane Member

Problem is, the Rockets' mindset is that we can't wait for any more players to develop. Unless it's VERY VERY VERY intruiging, and at a position where we need some depth/help. Which is why I think we're considering ONLY Ming, and will not give up anything that will make our roster look too different.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't see Ming offering the Rockets or any other team any imeadiate help. I will be shocked if Ming even spends time with his new team during training camp. Wang has had to wait until the NBA season was already underway before joining the Mavs in each of his seasons with them. From everything that I have read it will take a couple of years of hard work for Ming to become as good as Rik Smits. Sounds more like a project than a number 1 pick to me.

17. Sane

Sane Member

He's not that big a project, and he will be much better than Rik Smits in a couple of years.

For us, we don't need much from him other than to backup the C spot in his first year. Basically, this year's "we're confident we could make the playoffs" team without Langhi, Walt, and Kevin WIllis. Add Yao Ming, another young player (draft pick probably) and Torres may become a factor. Of course, that's not counting injuries.

I think we can win 48 with that.