1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone in Plan 2 Honors at UT Austin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, Mar 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I applied to the program, and I'm waiting on their decision. I'm very anxious, but I hope I get accepted...is anyone in the program or know anyone? What are some recommended things one should know about Plan 2??

2. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

You should be good as long as you mentioned Slumdog Millionaire in your essays.

3. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

lol zing

4. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I actually have two friends that did Plan 2 Honors at Texas and they admitted to me that it was an absolute waste of time just to get that extra sticker on the diploma. They frequently complain about how they didn't enjoy their college years as much as they should have.

5. drumbum

drumbum Member

I laughed, out loud.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I was accepted into the program with a full scholarship and turned it down.

7. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

My friend is in it, I will ask.

Im PrePharmacy undeclared right now

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Plan II is a waste of time. I was enrolled in it freshman year and got out. Unless you plan to do law school or med school, its not worth it. A lot of the classes were interesting but in terms of a broader career, a complete waste.

But if you have solid grad school plans, it really isnt a bad thing at all, in fact I'd say its a definite plus point.

9. vstexas09

i'm definitely set on med school...does anyone know if they can put in a good word..or find out more information??

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I applied and got in way back when.....however I did not go, and I did not, and still do not, have any clue what it actually was. I think they wanted to make me take math, and I hated math back then. So do with that what you will. I will say this, in these sh-t-ass economic times, places like UT compare more favorably to private schools on a value basis.

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

12. vstexas09

i just hope that i get in...i don't want to go to UT just regularly...i want to take on a rigorous curriculum....

and i hope that i make it...any encouragement?

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I was in Plan 3. Total sausagefest.

14. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

This. Get ready to have no life if you decide to do plan2/premed. Don't take it for the sake of wanting a rigorous curriculum. If that is your desire then pick an engineering major.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Plan 2 will get you no extra money when you graduate, and you'll be in freshman classes full of douchebags instead of sluts. Waste of time.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Get into Business Honors at UT if you can. The job prospects out of the B-school is better. Even if you are doing Pre-Med, you can still get a business degree which is 10x more useful than a Liberal Arts degree. Even if you can't get into Business Honors, I would rather do a regular Business degree instead of Plan II.

17. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

sorry, but your statement couldnt be more short sighted. Apparently you have no idea what you're applying to or know what you want. And in fact... know nothing about Plan 2 curriculum, because almost any other major at UT is tougher. Especially the science displines.

While at UT I was a Plan 2 major the entire time, but flipped around for my second major (chemical engineering, neurobiology, art history). My other majors were definitely much more challenging, whereas Plan 2 classes were my "fun" easy A classes. Seriously... the professors were all amazing... classes were small... great class disccusions. But rigorous? Laughable. If you want tough buddy... dont do plan 2. But if you want to be well rounded then Plan 2 with some sort of science degree with it would be a great experience and education. I know I loved it.
    I still dont understand why people pump Plan 2 up so high. Whatever... it looks great for applying to grad school. I'm in med school now, so apparently it worked.
    Don't apply to a program for a "status," especially when you dont know what you're applying to. But I guess thats why you're on here asking.
    On a side note... if you want to get into med school then UT is a great place to go as an undergrad. The research opportunities is ridiculous for anyone willing to work hard and learn outside the textbook.

18. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I think Plan II is an interesting way to stand out from the crowd at UT. There are LOTS of UT grads around, and most of them have heard of Plan II and know that it's hard work.

I do think it pairs best with a business or engineering degree, however, as it isn't the best degree for finding a job unless your plan is grad school. There's nothing wrong with taking on the extra challenge if you're that type of student who wants the credentials and is willing to put in the effort.

19. vstexas09

it's not that i don't know...it's that the dean of plan 2 said the course work is rigorous...

i hear other sources hype plan 2 to be like the 'ivy programs of the south'...

out of 1200 kids, 300 get accepted....what are some qualifications??

20. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

Plan 2 alone is not rigorous at all. If you complement it with a science degree you will probably get a lot more out of your college experience (learning wise). Plan 2 classes were all really really interesting, but I still felt like I was studying most of the time for my other majors. The hardest class in Plan 2 is the plan 2 physics class... its not as hard as engineering physics, but just a lot more abstract. The curves though for plan 2 are ridiculous. I'm pretty sure nobody makes a C in the class.
    Oh, one more thing about the program.... the professors are all amazing. A lot of them will invite the class out to dinner or they will invite you to their house for dinner... all engaging and easy to approach. I can't say the same for the engineering department... lifeless souls.
    Im not sure if its an "ivy league" program... mainly because I'm not sure what that means. However it is well recognized program with a good track record, but I WOULD NOT exclusively keep it as my soul major.
    My only complaints about the program are some of the students... they talk too much. But there are a lot of hotties too... lots of hotties. Anyways, good luck. If you get into the program def accept. Austin is a great experience