1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Barry vs. Von Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texas Stoke, Mar 2, 2009.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It has become the classic catch-all phrase on ClutchFans for how to describe objective analysis. People here have difficulties correctly classifying hate.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The rox aren't winning a ring this year so why waste it on a 37 yr old iinstead of developing a 23? Barry will get his numver called at some point, but asking him to break down a defense and or finish.

3. Houston22

Houston22 Member

I think that guys with opinion like yours don't play basketball. No matter how long your career is, you need some long streches of playing time and as many of touches as possible.

Barry is now in a strange place where he's not playing for long stratches, that should be changing right now and I hope Adelman is thinking further. But I doubt it, since Mutombo is not playing allthough he proved last year that he is everlasting producer.

4. leebigez

I'm just being real. I played d-q and in 91-92 we played kentucky at rupp arena. Yeah, that team with mashburn,pelphrey,woods and co. Now we had some ok players because that same yr, we shouldve beat doug christie and pepperdine, but sometimes, you know when the chances are slim to none. The Rox aren't winning the title this year and for the record, I didn't like Barry signing anyway. He represented what we didn't need, a old,slow,soft, unathletic guard who can't defend his position, can't break down the defense and can't finish. I would rather live with young guy mistakes like wafer, just like the spurs did with jackson,parker, and manu, vs seeing barry on the court.

5. killer instinct

So aren't you tired of guys that could jump and dunk but not shoot watering down the NBA?

I AM!

Atleast Barry can do more than just dunk.....and by the way not only has Wafers shooting been weak lately, so is his drives. Atleast Barry gets his team mates more involved.

I get it your sports center......I'm 93-94 rockets world champions.

6. blender

blender Member

I think we'll be needing a little of both in the playoffs.

There will be times we'll need Wafer's energy and agressiveness, while other times, Barry's experience and decision-making will be required.

It'll be up to Adelman to keep juggling the minutes and get both players ready for the postseason.

7. leebigez

Killer Instinct , I'm guessing you're responding to me, so let me respond. The rox painted themselves in a corner by drafting,signing, and trading 1 dimensional players. From Hayes to head to battier to alston based on the idea tracy and yao would be shaq-kobe 2. It didn't happen and to his credit, morey is starting to get more athletic . Now some of you equate athletic ability to dumb dunking types, but there is balance and benefits. Brooks,landry,wafer, and lowry represents this change. The Rox finally woke up and decided its nothing wrong with having players who can make "athletic" plays. Barry wouldve been great 7 yrs ago, but now his negative values are greater than the pluses. There is a reason Sa tried to trade him every yr. A old slow, sa team didn't even make him a offer. I would rather see wafer make mistakes like jackson, manu and parker than see barry get abused on defense by guys that blow by him at will.

Btw, I've been watching the rockets since 77. I'm not one of the johnny come lately types.

8. superx

superx Member

I prefer to rest Yao instead of resting Barry,Barry didn't play too much time after the season started,there was no need to rest him.

9. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I rather Wafer get more experience... Barry is here for the playoffs.

10. killer instinct

I agree that the rockets need more than Barry......but they need more than Wafer as well. There is also a reason Wafer has not made impact on his last few teams as well.

Wafer needs a jump shot and to make others better, so does Landry.

Brooks needs more height in my honest opinion and better skills at getting others involved, mainly Yao's spots.

i like you have been going to games since i can remember including PhiSlamaJama games.

I do not think dunking makes for dumb players but when the body fails you, you better have the fundamental skills and smarts to make your team better. THAT is what I don't see in these type of 1 dimensional players. I still would be more comfortable with Barry taking the last shot than Wafer.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Horrible logic.

Because by that logic you could make a case against Wafer considering he's been let go a few times.

12. BigTiger

BigTiger New Member

Barry will have more play time in playoffs.Now he needs more time to rest and avoid injuries.

13. ILOVE_AI3

ILOVE_AI3 Member

I don't agree with this idea.

I like wafer and he must be a good player

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

The difference between Wafer and Barry is Wafer attack the basket. Both are good shooters.

15. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

Barry is a vet, he's going to bring it in the playoffs. All my friends that are SA fans hate that we have him!! =)

16. MaxwellsTemper

That's not the only difference. Barry is an underrated/under-appreciated player on these forums. Yeah, he's a great shooter, but he is one of those guys that the phrase "savvy veteran", that is thrown around a lot, is actually is relevant for. He knows how to run an offense, distribute the ball, is a GREAT passer, and is just overall a very smart player. The Rockets are lucky to have a guy like him around, IMO. In the playoffs, he will prove valuable.

Wafer is a different stage, a high energy guy that can score. They really don't bring the same thing to the table. And that's not to take anything away from Wafer, there are just differences.

17. Art7

Art7 Member

Like clyde said last game WTF is homecourt Advantage? the rim the same, the basketball the same and court is same dimensions.

Wtf is playoffs? its just another game.
    This is no tpuss stuff-- when he play puss whole season and then in the playoffs he playing good.
    I think most of all nba players, every game playing hardest. And saying that they will do to wafer something that they havent been doing is stupit. Also, saying that in the playoffs barry would do something that he havent been doing in the regular season is also stupit.
    Wafer should get more minutes in the playoffs. To him, the playoffs will be his opprotunity to get big MONEY next season. And he will give 110% every single game. Do u remeber what happened when he became a starter> ? he step up big time and I belive he will also step up big time in the playoffs. Because to him its either 800k next year or 5 mill next year.

18. MaxwellsTemper

You really think a playoff game is the same as a regular season game? And there is no homecourt advantage? :rolleyes:

19. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

No such thing as homecourt advantage, huh? Tell that to the Utah Jazz.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ehem..... you were saying?

;)

DD