1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Troy Barros will love this...but will the Rox?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, May 9, 2002.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I know I said in the past that Dunleavy is staying for sure (he actually said he was at one point)...ive even raised my voice at times over the debate on whether Dunleavy would declare....well...he just took the first step and if he goes early...???

Could he be the 3 that the Rox grab?

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/main/index.cgi?3792

I humbly accept the "I told you so" from Troy...

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I sure hope the Rockets don't care.

The last thing we need is to use a sub-7 pick on a guy who got pushed around by college boys and can't sac up in man-to-man D. Give my Butler, Gooden or even the raw Wilcox first, please.

Now I wouldn't object if we used our 15 pick on him and wait and see if he further develops physically.

3. Live

Live Member

C'Mon, Desert Scar, you know the Rocks probably have Mike Jr. at the top of the board, right under Ming.

:rolleyes:

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hey, now, ya'll know Rudy'd draft this guy if he could. Tall white 3-pt shooting coach's son small forward? Yep. Wouldn't surprise me to see Dunleavy as a Rocket.

5. Desert Scar

Just wanted to add a clause or 2.;)

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I also hope the Rocks don't care.

There are better players available at the 5th pick, imo.

7. ROXTXIA

Desert Scar,

I've followed you around these Dunleavy threads and I guess I'll just say it here:

Is this an I-hate-all-Dukies thing? Did you get flamed in your NCAA brackets? If Mike Dunleavy Jr. owes you money, he'll be able to pay off now.

;)

I'll admit if I'm wrong, but Dunleavy had to play the 4 last year, which he most definitely isn't. I'm not saying we should/will draft him, but as an NBA 3, given another 10/15 pounds, he should be OK.

Besides, in the Rox system, he'd just stand 25 feet from the basket and heave 3's. Hopefully he won't trip over Eddie G.

8. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I guess it all depends on whether you want Larry Bird or Tracy McGrady. Bulter just dropped out of the top 10; I have him at #11.

1 Chicago............. Williams
    2 Golden State..... Yao Ming
    3 Memphis........... Drew Gooden
    4 Denver............. Nickoloz Tskitsishvili
    5 Houston........... Qyntel Woods
    6 Cleveland........ Chris Wilcox
    7 New York........ Curtis Borchardt
    8 LA Clippers..... Dunleavy
    9 Miami.............. Nene
    10 Phoenix......... Chris Marcus
    11 Washington... Caron Butler
    12 LA Clippers.... Wagner
    13 Milwaukee.... Melvin Ely
    14 Indiana........ Rush
    15 Houston....... Stoudamire
    16 Philadalphia. Bostjan Nachbar
    17 Charlotte...... Jared Jeffries

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Interesting...this guy is really shooting up the ladder. My guess is that GMs see Gasol and Nowitzski and have forgotten about Weis and Turksan. DearRock...have you seen this guy play because I havent...ive only read about him.

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

no way in hell do i take dunleavy, jr. with the #5. no way.

maybe if he had shown what he could do without having the nation's #1 player setting him up...but as is...no way.

ditto for carlos boozer.
    ditto for any other dukie.

11. Desert Scar

I have said plenty of accolades about JW and Shane Battier. But I am sorry, MD isn't near the player either one of them is. It is not even close. I think a lot of Duke fans have no idea the degree some one like Dunleavy, Thomas Hill or Trajan Langdon look like so much better all-around players than they truly are--as evidenced when they leave system and talent advantage around them. Did any of ya'll actually watch MD try to play defense on guys like Jeffires, the totally raw (offensively) Wilcox, heck even 2nd round fodder like Tayshaun Prince. He couldn't hang with any of them defensively when they went at him. MD does not belong on a team already with defensive mismatches all over.

Besides, I am not totally against drafting MD, just totally against using our 1st pick to do it if the likes of Gooden, Butler, or Wilcox are available--let alone with international, hschool and juco phenoms that may be mixed in (I know less about them).

12. ROXTXIA

We'll see how the draft lottery shakes out May 19, then how the individual workouts go. I didn't watch many Duke games last year (fairly predictable: Duke wins again!) but if espn's take on the guy is accurate (can handle the ball, shoots lights out, pass) then I won't complain if we draft him. If he's a defensive black hole, then let someone else take him; we have plenty of those already.

Me, I'd like Q-Woods or Butler or, in a trade, Odom.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with Desert Scar. Dunleavy is a good player, but judging from the other talent available in this draft, there is NO WAY he is the best player available at 5, or even at 6, 7 or 8. But I worry that Dunleavy is the exact kind of player that Rudy likes, and that if Rudy started telling Mike Jr. that he would be taken by the Rockets if he slipped that far, then Dunleavy might sign with an agent and make it all official (touch your tongue to mine).

Please please please please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't take Dunleavy Jr. with the 5th pick!!!!

14. Sane

Sane Member

You guys know Rudy. YOU KNOW HIM. YOU KNOWWWWWWWW he's going to pick this guy. You HAVE TO KNOW, that if he picks a player at #5, for HIS team, he's going to pick this guy.

This:

1 Chicago............. Williams
    2 Golden State..... Yao Ming
    3 Memphis........... Drew Gooden
    4 Denver............. Nickoloz Tskitsishvili
    5 Houston........... Qyntel Woods
    6 Cleveland........ Chris Wilcox
    7 New York........ Curtis Borchardt
    8 LA Clippers..... Dunleavy
    9 Miami.............. Nene
    10 Phoenix......... Chris Marcus
    11 Washington... Caron Butler
    12 LA Clippers.... Wagner
    13 Milwaukee.... Melvin Ely
    14 Indiana........ Rush
    15 Houston....... Stoudamire
    16 Philadalphia. Bostjan Nachbar
    17 Charlotte...... Jared Jeffries

i WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with. Why would Denver take that guy? He's not the best player at the spot, and they need a 5, 1, and 2 more than anything. New York will waste their #7 on Borchardt? Phoenix will take Marcus at 10? Wagner will drop to #12, when his hometown, SG-needing Memphis will pass him up, on a team overcrowded with PF's, by picking Drew Gooden? I think not.

Gasol/Swift/Lorenzen Wright/Massenburg

Why would they possibly pick Gooden? Wagner backing up J-Will and Dickerson for his first season is perfect for them. WHy would they pass that up?

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

wagner is the perfect choice for Memphis,but it's possible that they may pick Woods here as well if Dickerson hasn't recovered from his injuries.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Dunleavy=Mike Miller