1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Rockets like 'Now or Laters'?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan, May 8, 2002.

1. rocketsfan

rocketsfan Member

The Rockets have two 1st round picks this year (5th[most likely] & 15th).

Would you rather see the Rockets keep the players they have now on the team and add two rookies(good ones) or would you rather see the Rockets trade both picks for some established players?

Win Now vs. Win Later :confused:

Should the Rockets go into the draft thinking win now, even if it means passing on a potential star down the road, to make the playoffs?

2. Greg M

Greg M Member

It depends on who is on the board and who can be traded for. I wouldn't go for a veteran just to have a better chance this season. There's a ton of talent in this draft 1-15. Unless we get a stud player in return, I wouldn't want to pass on Woods or Tskitishvili.

One possibility is that Miami is desperate for a PG. I feel the Heat would love to have Moochie. We could possibly trade the #15 and Moochie for Miami's pick. I know most of you think I'm nuts but the league isn't down on Moochie. It's this BBS. Moochie would be a solid starting PG, especially in the right system, and his salary is very affordable as a starter.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I Think with the new building opening up after this next season, they need to put a winning team on the court...THIS SEASON !!!

They can not afford to go into a new arena and have the city go....."Who cares"

DaDakota

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There are two species of this argument: (1) The Rockets must get to the playoffs before the new arena opens (pictured above) and (2) Rudy T has to get to the playoffs to avoid being fired.

I don't see why a GM would worry about either of these. The arena will open whether we have a good team or not. It'd be nice to be an exciting team with a new building, but I don't see how it is so important that you sacrifice long-term success for short-term gain. The Rockets will be able to sell out games again when they have a competitive team. The timing of the arena opening won't much matter.

As for Rudy T, his job may be on the line (though, I rather doubt it). He'll be evaluated on the job he does with the pieces he's got. If he's got vets, his bar will be higher. If he's got green rookies, his bar will be lower.

The only real pressure I can tolerate is if Les is getting impatient about making good money again. But, he's always seemed to me like an owner more interested in winning than making money. If getting a less experienced but more promising player is the way to go in that endeavor, I think Les will bless it.

5. Sane

Sane Member

I think oeilpere has made it clear that we're looking for a vet, and prefer not to take any more rookies right?

I agree with this. But I don't nessecarily want someone who's peaked, but someone who has 4 or so years experience, and can help us in different areas.

This is why I think Odom/Lewis would be good additions. Their experience is very valuable. Lewis, having gone through a tough career, Odom, not having played to his potential due to his poor supporting cast while still having 3 years of experience.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I hope they win later. :confused:

#6 Roc Paint, May 8, 2002
    Last edited: May 8, 2002
  7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about bench candy.

8. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Agreed, win later.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tell me that that doesn't send chills down your spine along with what we already have. What we also need is a good assistant coach who will help them develop like a Don Nelson.:cool:

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why we can't do both. Why we can't trade for a player in his early 20's that has produced or shown the upside to produce (Odom 23,Lewis 23,T.Thomas 25) win and watch these players progress, while still being young enough to be a contender for the next 6 or 7 yr when these guys are approaching 30? I don't see why we have to wait 3 yrs or till the jazz get old or Clippers trade their players to start the wheel turning. Cat is 27,Steve,25,Griffin 20, add a one those mentioned above along with maybe a marcus and in 5yrs these guys will still be in their prime. The Rockets can't have a season entering question and the ability to make the playoffs this ye especially now they will be competing for a dollar against a football team in a football town. Say what you will, but the return of rice and taylor relly doen't make us a threat in the west.

I sell ice in the winter, i sell fire in hell, I'ma hustler baby I sell water to a well!

10. rocketsfan

rocketsfan Member

JuanValdez,
    I agree with you that the stadium will open regardless if the team is good or not. Les would probably only put pressure on Rudy and Co. to win now if he wanted to put money in his pocket. If you think about it, Les will start putting money in his pockets when the new stadium opens and prices across the board go up.

leebigez,
    Getting an established player who is in his 20's would be icing on the cake! What would it take for the Rockets to get someone like that?

jevjnd,
    If Rudy and Co. would rather draft and wait 2 or 3 years for the team to develop, these two guys would be a dream (Not Olajuwon :D).

rockHEAD,
    If the Rockets draft two really good players (see jevjnd reply), these two players will not start right away and will definitly be bench candy .

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Without signing their own FAs or considering their draft picks, the Rocks roster should look like:

1: Francis, Norris
    2: Mobley
    3: Rice, Morris
    4: Taylor, Thomas, Griffin
    5: Cato, Collier

FAs: Brown, Torres, Williams, Langhi, Willis

This leaves two real roster spots, plus the IR "spots".

Their immediate needs going into next season:

1. better defense
    2. low post offensive presense

IMO, whoever they can draft with the 5/6th pick will likely not be an immediate help for next season. Immediate help can be had from signing a MCE FA.

The Rocks would be brain dead to trade the 5/6th pick for a "veteran" player, seeing it is the highest pick they've had in years. The exception to trading the pick is if they trade the pick for a higher pick, which is a very low probability trade.

In a perfect world, the Rocks will draft Woods with the 5/6th pick (with Stoudamire being my second choice). None of the possible MCE FAs really impress me much, especially if the Rocks would have to give the MCE FA a 3/4 year deal to get it done. Of their own FAs, they should bring Torres back with a 2/3 year deal, since he plays D and has a reasonable J. Their roster next year would like:

1: Francis, Norris
    2: Mobley, Torres
    3: Rice, Morris, Woods
    4: Taylor, Thomas, Griffin
    5: Cato, Collier

This roster has one rookie and three first year players (Griffin, Morris, and Torres), which seems be enough youthfulness for the team. Thus, the 15th pick should be shipped to Memphis. The only reason that I see the Rocks keeping the 15th pick is if it is packaged in a trade deal.

The Rocks should trade KT, but Rudy has shown that he is very loyal to his players (great for the player, maybe bad for the team). Rudy in particular likes KT's "warrior" qualities. I suspect that Rudy will experiment with KT at the 3 next season and postpone the KT/MoTay trade decision until the summer of 2003.

The only additional roster move I expect is that the Rocks will sign Walt to a one year minimum contract, as a guarantee against Rice's health. Walt would the 13th player and start the season on the IR, after MoTay suspension is up that is.

#11 No Worries, May 9, 2002
    Last edited: May 9, 2002