1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Are we better than we were last year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yakapo, Feb 27, 2009.

Tags:
?

Are we better right now than we were last year during the streak?

1. Yes, we are better than we were last year

459 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No, we are not at the level we were during the streak last year.

75 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. We are playing at the same level as we were last year.

78 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

The general 'vibe' I'd have to say is the same as that that was around during the 22-game streak - the 'sky's the limit, 'anything can happen when we get on the court' feeling - the 'don't know who the hero will be this game, but it will be someone on our team'-type of effort and chemistry on the court.

This team is fun to watch, which can't be said of the majority of games earlier this season, pre All-Star game.

2. jedicro

jedicro Member

I won't answer that poll the way it's constructed. I think we have a better team that has more potential to make hay in the playoffs than last year. However the streak of last year was one of the most remarkable feats in basketball history and I will NOT say we're playing better than that.

Unanswerable (1 vote)

3. Koncept_Rocket

I agree! It seems the West is having a down year, except of course the Lakers.

4. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

I'm curious to hear rox fans opinions now that our little streak has ended.

I for one am glad we won't have to play sub .500 teams in the playoffs. We will however have lots of teams that front Yao in the 4th.

5. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Sorry Rocket Fans, but no we are not better than last years team.

All things being equal.

Healthy team to Healthy, then yes this years team is better due to the addition of Ron Artest and his game should be great in the Playoffs.

Limping into the playoffs with no TMac, this year as opposed to No Yao last year. We are not better off.

No Rafer, No TMac, Landry hobbled. Id so no way.

But the one thing about it this year is, that the West isn't near as strong as last year, so the Rockets do have a chance with good seeding to get through the 1st round.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The team last year had a ridiculous roll going, but even during the streak we all knew that they had some major deficiencies (like offense and depth from the C position when Yao went out, backup PG, backup SG, starting PG).

This year what are our deficiencies?? Sure, youth in the PG spot is a risk, but that could run either way when you compare us to the personnel we had at PG last year. I'd argue that this year's PG tandem is significantly better than last year's (Rafer and Bobby Jackson? oof). Beyond that we are ridiculously balanced this year.

When you compare us to last year's roster heading to the playoffs, we are upgraded significantly at C, upgraded significantly at backup wing (Wafer, Barry), upgraded slightly at PG, and upgraded slightly at PF (another year of experience for Scolandry). The dropoff in our starting SG spot is less than people think when you consider that 1.) T-Mac was already injured in the second half of last year and without much of the quickness that he complained of lacking this year; and 2.) we have Ron Artest people.

Last year's team was hot, but by the time the playoffs rolled around we had returned to baseline for how a team with that kind of roster could perform. This year's team is not as hot right now, but our baseline is way way up, thanks mainly to a healthy Ming. If we get hot in the playoffs, ain't no one that can take us down. We have the talent.

7. bbjai

bbjai Member

I don't think this years current team is better then last years team. We have essentially the same powerforward combination and we have Luther Head instead of Von Wafer (Debatable to actual impact as both are as inconsistent as each other, remember Luther has had his moments too) and the same backup Centre. The only thing that has changed is essentially Artest swap Mcgrady. The level Mcgrady was playing at last year (please remember he was easily the one of the best players in the playoffs) is more then equal to Artest. So for me the main difference is Yao Ming. Yao was awesome pre injury last year playing at a MVP level, his still not up to that form so I would say last years team is better. Granted Scola is playing better and Landry is too. But lossless like Chicago prove we need someone like Mcgrady who can destroy the double teams on Yao or at least take a higher % shot.

You can debate our defence is about the same last year to be honest.