1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lowry- Quietly Impressive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gifford1967, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I guess this is what it feels like to have a real playmaking point guard.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

One other big point to make regarding Lowry: Looks like Morey was right again.

3. nomad_balla

nomad_balla Member

i just think that lowry understands the concept of taking high percentage shots... he also knows that he can do much more damage by going into the lane, attacking the basket and being a distributor for his team which is what a point guard should do. i think he is sacrificing his offense a little bit because he knows he is a point guard first. some of the dumb fans still think rafer took good shots from the 3. rafer took horrible shots, he looked for his offense too often. lowry can give him a lesson on how to be play point guard and still pass up open shots if you're a bad shooter.

4. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

Something Rafer Alston has never figured out.

5. mag

mag Contributing Member

That is exactly what I have noticed too. He could be the solution to the fronting defenses if he can nail up those passes up high where only Yao can get the ball.

6. lalala902102001

Lowry is still very young--he's not yet 23. He still has a lot of development to do. Working on his shooting should obviously be a priority.

What I like about Lowry is that almost everyone who's had a chance to work with him has good things to say about him. Mike Fratello, who coached Lowry in his rookie year in Memphis, only had good things to say about Kyle from last night's TNT broadcast.

7. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

That one sequence where he abused Delonte West on defense was amazing. West thought he could post him up but Kyle is super strong and may have some of the strongest and quickest pg hands in the league. He will really be useful when bigger pg's like Chauncey and DWill try to exploit AB.

8. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

He is shooting fine within the arc so his fg% is a little misleading.

9. dero72

dero72 Member

When and where was Kenny Smith called 'The Jet' in his career? Does anyone here EVER remember Kenny being called 'The Jet' as a nickname by Worrell, Murphy, Petersen, or Foley...or even Lisa Mullosky? The guys on TNT call him that all the time....seems manufactured.

10. HCoog

HCoog Member

I love how the media loves rafer now, I was nuetral on him. I understand how your pg is the leader on the court but i believe our backcourt can do that. Many say they have no experience running a team but look what Rondo did, a young guy with an outstanding supporting cast. Im not saying either is like Rondo but that these two are more than capable

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I know I have only seen one game from Lowry but I am not afraid to admit this - I was wrong about getting upset at Morey and the rest of the Rockets mgmt for trading Alston. I did feel that maybe they were giving up on the season since McGrady punked out on us; however, as someone else said, it is becoming pretty obvious that Morey knew what he was doing in getting Lowry. And yes if Jerry West thinks you can play, then you know that you probably have a real "basketball player" on your hands as The Logo knows talent when he sees it.

So, when I think back about how the BBS was up in arms about this deal (with me being right in the middle of it), I just have to laugh. There's a reason why we are posting on a basketball message board as fans instead of running an NBA franchise. And unlike Rudy T and Carroll Dawson, I can safely say that Daryl Morey really, really knows what he is doing. Hopefully, we won't see any ridiculous signings/trades like Moochie Norris, Mo Taylor, Juwan Howard, Ryan Bowen, etc. with Morey running things.

12. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

His 2 pointers are ok.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Did he really get seven assists last night? Impressive.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Oh, may it be so! And you know, that list is very long.

15. mms

mms Member

In Morey we trust! Actually we didn't sign Juwan, his fat contract was signed in Orlando.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

That is what I was thinking which is why I added "trades" and yea, Juwan is sorta special case because we never would have gotten rid of Francis if we didn't take him back. But damn did he suck once he got here!

17. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

LOL :)

I think most of people on that board hated Rafer. He wasn't the right pg for this team, not with T-Mac in the lineup.

I like Rafer. I like the fact that he always gives you 110% effort on the floor. Her may not shoot well, but he plays HARD. That's important. And I do think he was a leader here in Houston and he controlled the game.

As for Lowry, he is young. He will be better. He is a big guy who makes people better and always looks to drive to the rim and hell, he finishes well.

They are completly different types of players. Maybe it was time for Rafer to go. We need to move on. Right now, I kinda like what he brings to the table, I mean Lowry.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Christ, I forgot all about Juwon Howard. Didn't take long, did it? Soooo nice to have Scolandry.

19. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

very solid fella

20. ericmark

ericmark Member

Not to be superstitious, Rox should no longer sign any players from Magic. ;)
    Players from memphis are good quality. Battier helped us immediately. Hopefully Lowry will eventually let Rafer fans forget him. However, honestly,
    I thought this trade is good not because of lowry but of Rafer.
    Thanks, Morey.
    Sincerely.