1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SXSW

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chievous minniefield, Feb 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

I am now optimistic about seeing both shows...very cool. Did not know that Vernon was a former Rosebud. I just bought the new Bon Iver EP and of course loved For Emma. I am pretty sure that when you posted about that concert back in 2007 is when I started buying up their CD's and now knowing his love for the Dream might have catapulted them to new heights. Same with your recommendation with Yeasayer. I am always on the lookout for a Mr. Brightside music review. Thanks for the assist.

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

3. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

UGGGHHHHHHH. i really miss living in austin. those free shows sound amazing so far. white denim...black angels... hacienda... dan auerbach (new album is AWESOME, if you like blues/rock).
    on a side note. who ever says SXSW is overrated or has gone too corporate is obviously not looking in the right places. i've gone the past 6 years and never once paid for a wristband or a badge.... i drank, ate, and saw amazing music all fo free 99. there are obvious shows that are tough to get into... like good luck getting into m. ward. ha

4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i'm thinking i'm gonna come down for SXSW. my sis just had a baby and so i have a damn good excuse to boot! i'll be easy to find. just look for the drunk guy with the ****-eating grin on his face.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm driving to Austin and staying the night of the 18th just to check out Boys Noize. I saw him last year at Coachella and it was without a doubt the most fun I've had at an EDM show. Really looking forward to seeing him again and I recommend anyone else that will be out there and is into electronic music to check him out.

6. SWTsig

i think i know you!

7. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

skip the wristbands, badges, etc. The day parties are where it's at. And they're usually free or cheap to get into.

8. SWTsig

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

10. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Anyone know if Immortal Technique is gonna be there this year? Too lazy too look it up...

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm going Friday. My band is playing at Guero's on Saturday at 1:30pm.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff can you or should I make a seperate posting about this.

hey I don't need a badge right? I can roll up to Gueros for tacos

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, you can make a new post. You don't need a badge. It's a free un-official showcase - commonly referred to as a "day party."

1 person likes this.
  14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the risk of sounding shameless, I'll go ahead and plug a few bands/events...

The Wild Moccasins, The Ton Tons, and Fat Tony are all Houston artists that are invading SXSW that everybody should check out. All are highly acclaimed and Fat Tony and the Moccasins are both in rotation at KTRU and KVRX.

Also, KVRX is hosting KVRXplosion tomorrow night at Ballet Austin. Performers are Daniel Francis Doyle, XYX, Ninja Sonik, Jeremy Jay, Total Abuse, AIDS Wolf, Rainbow Arabia, Finally Punk, The Deathset, Japanther, The Strange Boys, and Monotonix. There are three stages and the chaos there begins at 11 PM.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I have quite a few bands I want to see too:

The Hold Steady
    The Decemberists
    Ra Ra Riot
    Lucero
    Deadstring Brothers
    We Landed On the Moon
    Superdrag
    Gomez
    Alejandro Escovedo

And more.

16. SWTsig

ra ra riot, lucero, we landed on the moon, and alejandro all played in houston in the last 2 or 3 weeks

17. SWTsig

anyone get to see the black lips or king kahn last night? im stoked about catching them tomorrow

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw the Oakridge Boys and Airbone Toxic Event

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Was anyone lucky enough to catch Metallica at Stubb's?

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

People that went start giving us some reviews. Who did you see that we ought to give an ear to? Who sucked?