1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Next Day: Happy with the Trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 20, 2009.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2009.
  1. Yes

400 vote(s)
    70.2%
  2. No

170 vote(s)
    29.8%
  1. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I voted no then, and I voted no again. While the chances are small, I think we have a chance to do some damage in the playoffs with Rafer. Remember the playoff games at home with Rafer out and Brooks starting? Our team looked like a mess. Rafer comes back and we played much better. The sign of a good point guard is his ability to keep the team within the gameplan instead of his scoring because by that measure Iverson is a much better point guard than Paul or Stockton. I just don't think you can expect an attack first backup point to become that kind of facilitator in the limited amount of games. Worst comes to worst, trade for him in the offseason. Hes not exactly gaining value sitting on the bench behind an emerging Conley.

2. pooseeyjx

pooseeyjx New Member

Trade Raffer has been so I am very disappointed!The next will not be good...... :mad:

3. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

1. tell me about the alternative trades that were on the table.
    2. Let Lowry play some game.

Without any more information, are you trying to measure:
    1. How fickle people are?
    2. How successful the Morey PR talk is?
    3. How many people went to search for Lowry highlights?
    4. How the voting constituents change after major news broke?

4. gta

gta Member

Rafer has his flaws. But with him this team can compete against anybody in the league (without Grady of course). I will vote no until I can see the same competence with the new lineup.

5. stroker

stroker Member

ECSTATIC is a more accurate word for me to never see Alston in a Rockets uni again and having Brooks as our starter not sharing minutes with someone not nearly as talented as he is. NO more stupie tear drops, no more senseless j's when he'd missed several prior to jacking up his JUNK and no more inability to penetrate to the hole with speed and finish like Brooks can and does at will. In fairness Alston's handle of the rock was good and that was the only part of his game that wasn't erratic; very good handle under pressure which our young guards can learn and don't forget Barry can play the point under pressure if necessary. The SIGHT of Rafer entering the game after Brooks had played so well while subbing made me literally ILL. No hate, just comtempt for his game.... :mad:

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wow!

You were exactly right...

Where the hell are all the fans with their hands up in the air practically on their knees begging God to bring back Rafer?

I'm sorry to say but we do have a lot of bandwagon boppers here. I don't know how many polls and posts went up yesterday stating that our season is over and what not. :rolleyes:

Now for some reason people have a change of heart, well at least they can see the light now....

Right?

7. landryfans

landryfans Member

Amazingly how people adapt to comfort himself in such short time. :eek:

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I was happy yesterday too.

It was like Christmas seeing that Rafer is NO LONGER a Rocket. :D

WHOOO....what a good day.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

INSERT:

"Today was a good day" - Ice Cube

2/19/09

10. vince100

vince100 Member

excellent! just like the stock market, down, rebound, tank even more. hopefully the last part never happen. oh, wait.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the initial shock and disappointment that a bigger trade wasn't made yesterday distorted those results. I want to know how people feel about the trade after a day to think about it, familiarize themselves a little more with Lowry, read the trade analysis from various sports writers, hear the Rockets explanation of why they did the move, etc. I was curious to see the extent to which the mood changed. The fourth factor you mentioned occurred to me only after I posted the thread.

And, yeah, if you have an opinion on the matter please share. Was there an alternative trade on the table you heard about that you'd have preferred? A Baron Davis trade, perhaps?

#31 durvasa, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  12. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

My guess is people who said yes today (and for me no yesterday), including me, are happy because they have no other choice. You cannot stay mad forever and people tend to be pessimistic at first, especially when things change. People like things to stay the way they are but in the end, change is good.

So when you think pessimistic you only remember the good things about Rafer but then after you read up on the negatives and start to think about that your view obviously changes. Especially if you think about things that frustrated you time and time again. You know what I'm talking about (hint: it floats, doesn't touch anything until it loses 'speed' and hits the ground :))

And the people who still say no are either still mad so answer based on emotion or have seriously thought about it and figure the good outweigh the bad.

Just my 2 cents

13. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

I don't know what Brian Cook's D is like, but he aint no scrub on offense
    Check this
    <object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-LpXBlU4lg4&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-LpXBlU4lg4&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
    He was on fire against the Celtics
    RAdleman has so many tools to space the floor

14. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

The trade was to free up cap space for 2009 for a possible contract extension to Ron Artest and Von Wafer. Acquiring Brian Cook's contract frees up 3 million dollars in cap space plus more cap space will free up from Jackie Bulter, Justin Reed, and Dikembe Mutombo's contracts.

It was a even trade.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Thread of the week!

16. durvasa

That's an interesting point. I think fans want to be optimistic when their team makes a big change. Everyone wants a team they can root for. Just look at this board at the start of every season. Every year, the majority is predicting close to 60 wins.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's how I see it as well.

Question:

Cook has a player option, if he decides to take it that means we have him for another year and another $3 mill wasted.

I hope not....

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

*Sorry so my question was: Can we somehow keep him from taking that option? Or do ya'll think he'll look for more $$$ on the market? Which I doubt he'll get.

19. durvasa

The Rockets assume he's going to pick up that option (considering he won't be a rotation player most nights, it would be foolish for him not to). This trade really has on impact on our cap, and that wasn't the intent.

The trade was purely about upgrading the PG position. They say they feel they've upgraded it this year -- that debatable. But looking forward to next year and and the year after, I'm more comfortable with that spot with the Lowry/Brooks combination rather than Alston. It may also be easier for us to move a smaller contract like Cook's in a trade in the offseason or next year.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

durvesa,

Are you going to post this poll again tomorrow in the event Lowry plays tonight? The results should be funny if he plays and has a bad game. They can go from complete disapproval yesterday, to accepting today to complete disapproval again tomorrow. Should be interesting.