1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Rafer for Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Feb 19, 2009.

1. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

If it doesnt work I hear Matt Maloney is coming back!

2. kharboosa

kharboosa Member

I like this trade. It gives us more offense and it gives us a youunger team. Rafer was good, but lets face it, he was one streaker scorer. His greatest asset to the rockets was that he could dribble the ball and not turn it over. Way to go Daryl Morey on making a smart basketball decision, and not making a trade just to get some buzz ( Pay attention mark cuban!)

AJ

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

You don't watch enough basketball then.

4. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

Why is Luther Head still here!!!!!!!! WTF are these guys thinking.

5. PhilCollins

I've watched more rockets ball than you think. I got a team signed ball for not missing a game last season. In fact I have missed maybe 6-7 games in the last 5 seasons. I sat through the last few years when we had no hope in the playoffs and the year we did not make the playoffs.

6. PhilCollins

by the way if you go to the Memphis fan website this guy is voted as their 3rd option to play the 1 behind OJ Mayo who is actually really a 2.

And he lost his position to Conley . . .

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Then you must of seen Lowry rape us a few times.

8. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

The disappointing thing isn't the trade they made so much as it is the deals they didn't make. Maybe they upgraded a little at point guard. We'll see. But with McGrady gone, I was hoping they'd do more to upgrade their firepower to compete with the top teams. You wonder if Morey won't regret not taking the opportunity to unload McGrady for some serious talent when he had the chance. Maybe Morey will get more chances to do that next year and the Rockets won't have to take back a mammoth contract. The Rockets can hang onto McGrady until his contract is up and have money to spend, but there's no guarantee the player they target won't go somewhere else (in fact, it seems likely, if many other teams are coveting the same guy). You wish they'd made a bold move now, while the team is pretty close and Yao's in his prime. It's hard to get real excited about the Rockets' chances this year. Let's hope they surprise us.

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

That's impressive, no doubt, but maybe you should catch some non-Rockets games. :)

10. PhilCollins

Not as much as Rudy Gay. The guy is a good second tier guard. AB is good but not a starter. This is not an upgrade. We have Head who never plays - he SHOULD have been dealt. Now we also give away Ron for nothing in the summer.

Unless the cancer gets released from NYC and we sign him in free agency . . . we have a decent backcourt. And decent if Wafer plays, Ron is not a 2 . . . never was. He will now start at the 2 and we are pretty much starting with 3 forwards and a backup guard in either Lowry or AB. Not so great . . .

11. PhilCollins

I know who the guy is. He is not SUCH a great pickup man. I think a lot of people feel the way I do.

12. PhilCollins

This may have been asked already but can we spend 50% of TMac's salary on another player next year? Anyone know how that works?

13. ludingji

ludingji Member

rafer has done a much better job this season. he kinda realized how to involve his teamates in offense now. he qualifies for his position in rox, i dont understand why GM made the trade.

14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

All I know is this.. When Lowry gets time to play the minutes Rafer does, he produces. Anyone who shoots 16 free throws in a game (1 month ago), shows me they know how to attack the basket instead of floating the and 1 tear drop.

15. amuamu

amuamu New Member

i dont understand this at all.
    BTW,congratulate alston ,near to champion.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Oh yeah Alston was the missing piece to the Magic team. :rolleyes:

I want to see who shoots misses more threes Turk or Rafer.

17. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Disabled Player Exception. A team may replace a player who suffers a season-ending injury with one player making up to 50% of the injured player’s current salary, up to a maximum of the average player salary. The Disabled Player Exception is available in the following circumstances:

(a) If the player is injured between July 1 and November 30 and is determined to be out for that season, the team has 45 days to use the Exception; or

(b) If the player is injured between December 1 and June 30 and is determined to be out for the subsequent season, the team has until the following October 1 to use the Exception.

The Average Player Salary is approximately the mid-level exception range of around $5.5.MM

18. PhilCollins

Agreed inside shots are much better. How much playoff experience does he have? Remember how important everyone thought Rafer was last year in the first round? Also Rafer shoots a better 3. Can this guy get kickouts from Yao and make the 3? Rafer was not consistent but when he was hot he was one of the top 2-3 scorers that night.

19. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

This is to fans who only watch the rockets. If you liked Alston, you will love Lowry. He is super tough and scrappy. Way more physical way more athletic.

20. PhilCollins

Thanks.