1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Rafer for Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Feb 19, 2009.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

To make the salaries work, the Magic included in the Houston deal center Adonal Foyle and Mike Wilks along with Cook.

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Cost cutting move by the Rockets now that they lost their number 1 player (and their championship hopes) for the season.

The Rockets are trading for the future and Rafer isn't the future.

3. JKillaD23

JKillaD23 Member

Wasn't there a thread that said the fans would love the player we get and everyone would be happy?? It doesn't look like everyone is happy today lol

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

They didn't cut any costs though. Morey must really like Lowry as a player.

5. thething

thething Contributing Member

I'm thinking this was a financial move. With Cook's expiring contract, it gives us a little more room under the luxury tax to resign Ron Artest.

Lowry is a terrible 3-pt shooter, so Aaron probably will be the starter. I think the trade makes us worse, but at least we're more athletic, so some good could come out of it.

6. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I'm sure that fell through when no team wanted to trade for Me-Mac anymore.

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

To make the salaries work, the Magic included in the Houston deal center Adonal Foyle and Mike Wilks along with Cook.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

it wasn't. they didn't cut any money...cook's contract is NOT expiring. he has a player option next year which I guarantee he will take.

like sooner said a few posts above, morey must really like lowry.

9. zxl124

zxl124 New Member

I don't understand how everybody is saying this is a money move. Cook has a player option next season. We don't save anything at all money wise.

10. worzel gummidge

Cook has a player option next season. This move added around $250k more salary to next year's payroll.

11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

KYLE LOWERY is the guy that dropped the triple double on us,and tipped in the game winning shot not to LONG aGO!

12. jondoe

jondoe Member

To think Rafer was that important to the team is sad. If the rox hopes lied on skip to my lou, might as well end the season now. Too bad he sucks.

13. ares756

ares756 Member

I am with the guy above me. Lets see what this team can do before we make our decision. Daryl Morey is a great GM and is the boss for a reason. We are fans for a reason. Only the strong that can make the tough decisions can be in the GM shoes. That being said i just think its time to move on. T-Mac has played his last game as a rocket. Rafer has also. AB is more then ready to lead this team. He has the confidence in everybody to do it. He plays well with the starters and the bench players. You cannot say the same thing for Rafer. How many times has the bench bailed us out to let the starters ie tmac and rafer, come back and blow it? Thats when ron artest was a bench player also. I cant remember what game it was specifically. Now that Artest is our starter and with AB and Shane who are going to spread the floor a whole lot, man i can see some great things from this team.

Now, i do believe that this trade sets us up for a bigger one during the off season. We just did not have the contracts or the talent to give up to get a baron davis or a vc. We ARE not and WILL not ever give up Landry and Battier. Now, we have the expiring contracts and the young talent to get the big superstar during the off season. Guys Daryl Morey knows what he is doing. Its not just about this year. its about the future also. If we were to have gotten vince carter that would have been the worst trade period. To get rid of Artest, Battier, Landry, and Head or AB?? Come on!!! Too much risk and not enough rewards for the future. Also, if Yao does opt out and tracy is gone that frees up close to 50 MILLION DOLLARS in payroll. 50 MILLION DOLLARS!!!! We could get Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade and a mid level center. Hell we could even be in the LeBron Sweepstakes if we keep our bench deep and our role players good.

This trade will be significant for a future move. I have not missed one game from the rockets or one story. I know everything there is to know about this team. Morey you are a genious and i know what he is doing. He is setting up for a big campaign next season and the following. Don't lose faith in him now. He knows what he is doing.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mike Wilks back to Houston? Whaaat?! Hah, I expect them both to get cut. And now I think things are official. No more trades happening, no more reports out there from ESPN or any other sources

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well now everything changes, we are legit contenders now.

16. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

going to miss rafer; he was a good floor general. hopefully, lowry pans out because we just traded a third string pg on the grizzlies for our starting pg.
    goodluck in orlando, oh and are the deals finalized as in the trade deadline is over?

17. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

I hope Rafer fails his physical, he needs to pull a T-Mac and Chandler ;)

18. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Believe in Morey. Who here knew who Von Wafer was before he joined the Rockets?

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yead dude tore us up.

Also he plays great defense. We may not get any consistency from our PG spot...

I see it as this though...Brooks and Lowry will FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT for this starting spot, they will share the minutes basically and we get better by competition.

Instead of Brooks knowing he never will start because of Rafer...now Brooks sees he has Lowry with him and that one of them will be our PG of the future...so they will fight and be forced to play well. Better by competition.

20. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

link??