1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Salary Exemption for T-Mac Next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Icehouse, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I didn't see a thread on this, so please forgive me if it's been covered in one of the other threads.

Reports say that we can sign a player worth half of T-Mac's salary next year if he is deemed unable to play, or something like that. Any good free agents this summer that would fit in that range? Aren't there some decent available PG's like Bibby or Miller?

2. famicom

famicom Member

I duno but there are some in next years free agency..

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If that's true, I'm sure Tracy would find some way to screw us out of it. Just a hunch.

4. bigred77

bigred77 Member

If, and I think thats a big if, McGrady actually retires or is unable to play, and he makes that announcement early enough that the rockets get that 10+ million exception awarded to them in time to be active in free agency, I believe there will be ALOT of attractive options out there.

Also, it is my understanding that if this indeed happens the rox can only sign one player for up to the exception, not split it up among multiple players, does anyone know if thats correct?

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Bibby.
    Adelman's PG in Sacramento.

6. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

something I am thinking about :)

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Lots of variables here, but if the league agrees that McGrady is out for the year and they agree that the injury happened during the correct timeframe, then we'd get an exception that is worth the lesser of 50% of McGrady's salary and the average NBA salary. That means that we'd get an exception somewhere in the $5M range. Basically another MLE. That won't get you Bibby or the like.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's the explanation from Coon's CBA FAQ:

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (if the player is disabled between July 1 and November 30) or the following season (if the player is disabled after November 30). This exception can also be granted in the event of a player's death. This exception can only be used to acquire one player. The maximum salary for the replacement player is 50% of the injured player's salary, or the average salary, whichever is less (see question number 24 for the definition of "average salary"). Approval from the league (based on a determination by an NBA-designated physician) is required for this exception to be used. This exception can be used to sign a free agent, or to create room to accept a salary in trade. When used for trade, the team may acquire a player whose salary (including any trade bonus) is up to 100% of this exception plus $100,000 (not 125%). Also see question number 20 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

The issue with McGrady will be when the league rules that the injury occurred. If they say that it's the same injury from last season then you don't get the exception.

9. ty185

ty185 Member

IIRC, the injury retirement case (as darius miles) only can be invoked if the player has been injured for more than 18 months or something and a league appointed doctor has to examine and certify that the player is unfit to play due to medical reasons before it can be granted. IOW, it won't help rockets.

The exception the OP talked about, is another exception (sorry, can't remember the name atm) that help team to recover from their injury woes. However, there are two problems with that exception: 1. It can not be more than MLE, not half of tmac's salary as OP suggested. IOW, we won't be able to get as much talent as OP has hoped. 2. The grant of this exception is extremely hard and rare. Orlando tried to apply for this exception when grant hill was chronically injured and was rejected. I personally don't see rox getting that exception without a miracle...

of course, this is on top of my head and I haven't verified the details so I might be wrong. CAPOLOGISTS please feel free to correct me. :)

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If he were to have the surgery and it took place before this season ended, I'd be surprised if we qualified for the exception. NBA would have to hear he's not expected (by doctors, not our smartaleck selves) to return for the season.

Microfracture surgery now on a small non weight bearing part of the knee should come with a 6-9 month prognosis.

Evan

11. ty185

ty185 Member

thanks aelliott, that's much better explained. :)

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Come on, I know the glass feels half empty to some right now, but do you really believe that? :rolleyes:

13. Rocketrock

Rocketrock Member

Carlos Boozer!