1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You own the Rockets. What do you do now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dave_78, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Take a risk now to try to get a ring or start building toward the future?

1. Take the gamble of a long contract and try to get an impact player now!

61 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. Play it safe and forget a Championship. Make moves for cap flexibility down the road.

44 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Both options are possible when Morey is your GM.

103 vote(s)
    49.5%
  1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Tmac is done as a Rocket one way or another. So where to the Rockets go from here? Make a risky deal to get an impact player at the cost of future cap flexibility or play it safe and start working on money for next summer?

I don't see any deal that would make this team a contender this year but at the same time I think Yao's window of being a 20/10 guy is only another 2-3 years. What do you do if this is your team?

2. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

If I owned the Rockets I would force Grady to get several more opinions and delay the surgery till the end of the season. Then he would be out all of next year and we coud collect the insurance on his contract.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I would stay where we are and hope for the best this season. I would also try to buy t-mac out or trade his expiring contract in off season(which won't be easy). Re-sign ron-ron and try my best to get a real point guard before the trade deadline next year. T-mac would never wear a rockets jersey again. I was a big fan of t-mac but the rockets team comes first.

4. Kate81

Kate81 Member

With a rotation of...

Yao, Scola, Battier, Artest, Alston.

Bench: Landry, Brooks, and Wafer... and throw in Barry.

I would it play it safe and that doesn't mean forget a Championship, I think this team is capable of winning.

But if there is a good deal on the table for McGrady, and the other team waives his physical... and/or he is not hurt at all. Then I would do it.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You're not exactly forgetting a championship by leaving the rest of this team intact. We are still a two superstar team with Yao and Ron, and our supporting cast is better than it's ever been. Yao for that matter might be a better player than he has ever been also, and without the heart of a choker leading this team we won't have that glass ceiling of a playoff series victory over our heads anymore.

One more thing: since when did taking on an awful contract like Carter's or Arenas' equate to better chances in the playoffs? Now Baron Davis...I dunno, that's a really REALLY hard decision. We need a PG like woah, so that might push it over the edge for me.

6. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Give it a shot with what you have. Keep Ron on a short lease (Wafer as back up, Wafer was balling b4 Tmac came back) and go with a scrappy team.

It would be interesting to get out of the 1st round without Maclady. Then use the Dr. next year to keep him off the floor for fear of reinjury to the knee and then trade his contract for something valuable.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I kill myself for firing JVG and leave the team to Morey in my will.

8. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Id trade the team for that guys crappy van ^^^^^

9. piggy

piggy Member

This.

If I own this team, Tracy does not come back this season to disrupt the team further. I find a way to keep Ron Artest here (provided that he's buying in and fitting in by end of season). I ship McGrady out for a solid point guard.

Heck if I own this team, I just open my checkbook and do whatever Morey says.

10. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

I wish you left the results open for everyone to see. I wanted to see who actually possessed some common sense on the board...

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

trade ron's ending deal for the best young talent we can get.

next summer, trade tmac's ending contract for the best young talent we can get.

go with that until yao starts his decline.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I didn't even realize that was an option. My bad.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I like your thinking, but how do you force him not to delay surgery?

14. Koncept_Rocket

That would be a gamble, if he gets the surgery now and it takes a year to rehab/recover he would be fine by this time next season. If he returns to form (I know a long shot) then you eliminate any chance of him contributing.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

whoops. Rather, how do you force him TO delay surgery? :rolleyes:

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

my van is awesome fool!

17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Based on my current income, if I owned the Rockets, I would sell the team, take the money, and retire. :D

18. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

ive thot that this year was goin to b the make or break season of all make or break seasons ...

i still stick by that.

though i dont want to believe that.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sell to the highest bidder, then blow it all on coke and hookers.

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Actually, I take it back. Your plan sounds like more fun.