1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] This is everything I've heard on trades...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 15, 2009.

1. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

If we can get Alston to take a Rondo type role, that would be all we need. Know your skills, and play to your strengths. It would hide his inconsistency. While our offense would get better.

2. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

depending which thread i post in, i'm accused of being jvg, morey, richard justice, feigan, blinebury, and i'm sure ive forgotten some others . . .

i'll let you decide i guess :)

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Three good choices, one questionable one horrid.
    Baron Davis v Tracy McGrady - who gets to the clinic first?
    Maggette is to team ball as Yinka Dare was to an assist.
    Still, you scored 70%. Not baDD.

4. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

yeah, unfortunately the bulls have no dire need to trade hinrich. but i doubt they would label him as unavailable either. pretty much i totally agree with what you said - if we had extra frontcourt players or could arrange a 3-way trade to get the bulls a good frontcourt player in return, i'd be all for it.

5. worzel gummidge

What i keep reading is Hinrich isn't a Morey guy because of his contract. He'll also put the Rockets out of the 2010 sweepstakes.

6. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

the problem is that alston already has a certain game that he plays. you cant really force him to play a different style than he wants.

also, he has a chip on his shoulder that everyone thinks he's such a poor offensive player - so any chance that he gets to become a larger contributor on offense, he will take.

i think among the current starters, rafer is asked to make the most concessions of his individual game for the good of team ball already.

7. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaDakota
    Here are the deals I would want for Artest.

1. Baron Davis
    2. Corey Maggette
    3. Kirk Hinrich
    4. Mike Miller
    5. Andre Miller

Any of those would make me happy though....1-3 would be the best IMO.

DD

ok DD, I usually agree with most of the things u say on this board, but when u think about Baron, he is not a team player. He, IMHO, would cause as much bad chemistry on this team as u believe Artest does. I agree with u on Hinrich though, my only issue with him is that he has a pretty hefty contract for the next 4 seasons.

The reason the Rox have been struggling is because we play an inside out game, and with a reluctant to shoot shane, rafer being "Mr.Brick Shot" lately, and an injured tracy, we just dont have enough good shooting 3 point in the starting 5.I was extatic when our starters were:

Alston/Wafer/Artest/Scola/Yao

All the rox need is better shooting (and sum1 who is better than rafer to man the point.) :cool:

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

wasting Artest for Miller.. is not a good deal..

9. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

you need to also keep in mind that the "2010 sweepstakes" is not a morey type thing in the first place.

since every team is clearing out cap space in 2010 assuming they will bag a big fish, it will drive up the price of talent because the market becomes a sellers market and all the teams have set themselves up as buyers. this leads to teams overpaying for talent, and in many cases not getting the player they want and having to overpay for a lesser talent. this is a poor approach if you are an NBA gm. I doubt morey is really preparing for 2010 from a sweepstakes perspective as much as he's preparing for a more friendly cap management situation as soon as tracy's contract is up and he can have more flexibility under the cap to construct a competitive team.

10. worzel gummidge

No, but it's a Les type thing. That's why they've pulled so many blockbuster trades over the years under his ownership.

With all those names Les isn't going to pass up 2010 free agency.

11. ibm

ibm Member

that word says it all.

i don't know what morey truly thinks. but to me not every contract that is longer than a couple of year is necessarily a bad thing. imo morey sometimes tends to be a bit too number/stats oriented.

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

well apparently I just don't know my NBA contracts.. i was under the impression Baron's ended with a larger sum than Tracy's.. and for 2 years longer..?

if not.. the next question is.. what exactly are we all hoping for..come 2010..? by continuously using Tracy's expiring contract as justification for making him a non-negotiable "untouchable".. this year..? Daryl Morey himself called the whole "preparation for 2010" fool's gold..

is it such a certainty that a one year wait is going to net us gains undebatably better than say.. Baron Davis+Camby/filler this year..and a better shot at re-signing Artest..?

13. ibm

ibm Member

hate to agree with you, again. :cool:

14. FR0497

FR0497 Member

According to those numbers we're going to double the salary for somebody to hit the 3 at an improved .034%??? No thanks.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Hinirch's numbers would go up and more importantly teams would not leave Hinrich all alone to shoot jumpers like they do Rafer...and this would give Yao more room to operate.

It is not just about one guys numbers, try to look at what that one guy and his skill set would do for the ENTIRE team.

DD

16. daernoth

daernoth Member

Rafer isnt getting better offensively but Ive been really impressed with his effort on defense for a while now. At first I thought it was just a fluke but then his defensive effort remained fairly constant and if nothing else that made me happy.

I would still love to get a better player to man the point but it just seems like we can never get a hand on that fellow. Who knows... maybe Morey has tricks up his sleeve that we know nothing about atm. Lets hope so.

17. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

People will still double Yao, but the thing would be that we would have a better shooter on the court, which is a plus, but I would rather Andre Miller. I know he isnt the best shooter, but he has one of the best IQ's in the game, and he knows his strengths and weaknesses. Only argument I get is that his man will sag off and double Yao, but they do not think he can move around the court, where he could be on the weakside. Its more than just a simple type of offense. Maybe we could THEN enable Aldemans offense.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think alot of people, myself included, realistically believe we can land Bosh. Hes from Texas, tax advantages, good weather, great organization, great depth, etc. Also remember that is drastically cheaper to live in Houston than it is in say New York.

By then hopefully Landry and Brooks will be peaked, Yao will not be in rapid decline (hopefully). Maybe we will have resigned Artes and can run with the 3 star model. Who knows? But there is a lot of potential and we need to get ourself in a good situation so we can atleast be players.

Its just too hard to predict what will happen in 2010. The entire balance of the NBA could radically change.

19. ibm

ibm Member

other than he's from dallas area, everything else applies to every other nba f/a.

plus, bosh is good but ain't top notch kinda good. in b/w him and amare, i'd pick the latter.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Youd pick Amare over Bosh? Bosh might be not quite as good on offense, but he is much better on defense and doesnt cause any locker room problems + he is younger. I'd take Bosh over Amare in a heartbeat.