1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Television] Dollhouse (New Joss Whedon Show) starts tonight!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DCkid, Feb 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Who's watching?

Given his track record, I thought I'd give the show a chance from the start. For those who don't know he also created Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, as well as Firefly.

I don’t know much about it except that Eliza Dushku (Faith) plays the main character. Which is another good reason to watch.

2. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

elisha dushku alone will make me want to DVR it :p

3. Summer Song Giver

thanks for the heads up, I was/am a big fan of the Firefly series as my signature still shows. Never got into any of his other stuff as it seemed more geared to chicks but I'll give this one a shot.

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Interesting Premise...I like Whedon Shows..I never saw Firefly, but I liked Serenity (the movie version of Firefly)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollhouse_(TV_series)

In Dollhouse, Eliza Dushku plays a young woman called Echo, a member of a group of people known as "Actives" or "Dolls." The Dolls have had their personalities wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas, including memory, muscle memory, skills, and language, for different assignments. They're then hired out for particular jobs, crimes, fantasies, and occasional good deeds. On missions, Actives are monitored internally (and remotely) by Handlers. In between tasks, they are mind-wiped into a child-like state and live in a futuristic dormitory/laboratory, a hidden facility nicknamed "The Dollhouse". The story follows Echo, who begins, in her mind-wiped state, to become self-aware.[3][4]

Beyond Dushku's character, the show will also revolve around the people who run the mysterious "Dollhouse" and two other "Dolls", Victor and Sierra, who are friendly with Echo (the names are simply letters in the phonetic alphabet). Although the Actives are ostensibly volunteers, the operation is highly illegal and under constant threat on one end from Paul Ballard, a determined federal agent who has heard a rumor about the Dolls, and an insane rogue Active on the other.[4]

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Firefly is the most brilliant piece of science fiction I have ever seen and ever will see.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Never been a big fan of Whedon, gave Buffy a few seasons when it first started and just gave up on it. Firefly, just couldn't get into it.

I like the premise of this show so I'm going to give it a shot, DVRing tonite.

Just wonder if it'll last though, Friday nite time slot is a death knell for scifi shows on Fox.

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

they always give wheadon a friday timeslot

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

eliza dushku is probably one of the most under appreciated actress in the business today....

she freaking gorgeous :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

She's the cover girl of the March issue of Maxim.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will give this a shot

[reminds me of the 'meat puppets' in the I think it was NEROMANCER
    I think the chick that was protecting the main character was one
    and
    her mind started remember what she was doing when she was 'under']

Rocket River

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Eliza so ****ing hot.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Eliza was incredibly haaawwwwt on Conan last night. It's probably up on the NBC website somewhere.

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Long live Whedon! I'm headed to Alamo Drafthouse tonight at 12 for the premier. Afterwards I think they're showing Dr. Horrible (something that'll "make your heart sing"), so... should be a great night.

I used to go to the Buffy Musical singalong, which was pretty awesome seeing all the Joss fans unite and participate.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

If you didn't make this thread, I was gonna. Thanks.

I'm stoked and can't ****ing wait. Been pining for this show since I first learned it was in the works. Hopefully it doesn't dissappoint.

I will say, I hated all the pilots for Whedon's shows except for Firefly, so I am tempering my expectations for at least the first few episodes.

And it being on Fox does worry me, that they might pull the rug from underneath it even if it rocks.

15. mokulen

mokulen Contributing Member

Thanks for the reminder, man, I'd totally forgotten.

16. LittleWilly

LittleWilly Member

Just watched it - was ok. I'm hoping the next few are better, but I'd watch just about anything starring her.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Eliza gets mega points for still looking amazing; but mid-season, Friday night on Fox? Between this and Tru Calling, I'm wondering what her curse is.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Felt too much like My Own Worst Enemy.

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

pretty good for a season opener.

can't wait to see how the season arc(s) develop.

20. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I watched this in two sittings. I started it late last night but got bored. Picked it up again this morning and really liked the rest of the episode. It seems as if we are going to get a little of everything in this show since the girls can be programmed to do anything.

The part where I'm cautious is the characters. IMO, a show survives or fails based on how attached the audience gets to the characters. Period. Since the main character's personality will change every week how are we going to get attached to her? And none of the other characters seemed interesting enough to want to get attached to. We'll see.