1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Its Time For Francis To Prove Himself

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, May 1, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DaneB

DaneB Member

http://www.nba.com/news/all_nba_team_020501.html

I was expecting Francis to at least get third team. Im not surprised that Nash made it instead because he has had a lot better play this season. I think its time for Francis to step up and play how he is capable of playing. Its time for him to bump his assists up to 8 or so per game and average around 22 or 23 pts. We all know that Francis is capable of this, but he needs to show that it can be done.

2. DaneB

DaneB Member

NEW YORK, May 1 -- Los Angeles Lakers’ guard Kobe Bryant and the Orlando Magic’s forward/guard Tracy McGrady each were honored with their first career selections to the All-NBA First Team when the NBA announced the 2001-2002 All-NBA teams today.
    Bryant, who was named to the All-NBA Second Team twice (2000, 2001) and the Third Team once in his career (1999), averaged 25.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game in 80 contests this season. McGrady, who averaged 25.6 points, 7.9 rebounds and 5.3 assists in 76 games, was selected to the All-NBA second team last season.

The New Jersey Nets were represented on the All-NBA First Team for the first time in franchise history as guard Jason Kidd earned All-NBA First Team honors. Kidd joined the All-NBA First Team for the fourth consecutive season.

Rounding out the All-NBA First Team were Los Angeles Lakers’ center Shaquille O’Neal and San Antonio Spurs’ forward Tim Duncan, who tied as the top vote-getters with 626 points each. O’Neal made his fourth appearance on the All-NBA First Team and led all players with 125 First Team votes. Duncan was named to the All-NBA First Team for the fifth consecutive season and secured 124 First Team votes.

The 126-member voting panel of writers and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada consisted of 39 national media members and three media members from each of the league’s 29 teams who regularly cover the NBA. The media voted for All-NBA First, Second and Third Teams by position with points awarded on a 5-3-1 basis.

The All-NBA Second Team consists of the Minnesota Timberwolves’ forward Kevin Garnett, Dallas Mavericks’ forward/center Dirk Nowitzki, Sacramento Kings’ forward Chris Webber, Seattle SuperSonics’ guard Gary Payton and Philadelphia 76ers’ guard Allen Iverson.

The All-NBA Third Team includes the Boston Celtics’ guard/forward Paul Pierce, Detroit Pistons’ forward/center Ben Wallace, Philadelphia 76ers’ center Dikembe Mutombo, Dallas Mavericks’ guard Steve Nash and Indiana Pacers’ forward/center Jermaine O’Neal. Attached are the results of the voting for the 2001-2002 All-NBA Teams:

2001-02 ALL-NBA FIRST TEAM
    Position Player Team 1st Team Votes Points
    Forward Tim Duncan San Antonio 124 626
    Forward/Guard Tracy McGrady Orlando 80 513
    Center Shaquille O'Neal L.A. Lakers 125 626
    Guard Jason Kidd New Jersey 115 601
    Guard Kobe Bryant L.A. Lakers 72 507

2001-02 ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM
    Forward Kevin Garnett Minnesota 31 391
    Forward Chris Webber Sacramento 21 339
    Center/Forward Dirk Nowitzki Dallas 22 358
    Guard Gary Payton Seattle 11 284
    Guard Allen Iverson Philadelphia 12 272

2001-02 ALL-NBA THIRD TEAM
    Forward/Center Ben Wallace Detroit 3 195
    Forward/Center Jermaine O’Neal Indiana - 78
    Center Dikembe Mutombo Philadelphia - 105
    Guard Paul Pierce Boston 9 230
    Guard Steve Nash Dallas 1 96

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (first team votes in parentheses): Predrag Stojakovic, Sacramento, 55; Vlade Divac, Sacramento, 51; Jerry Stackhouse, Detroit, 46 (1); Karl Malone, Utah, 41 (1); Andre Miller, Cleveland, 32; Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers, 29 (1); Michael Jordan, Washington, 29; Antoine Walker, Boston, 28; Alonzo Mourning, Miami, 25; Baron Davis, Charlotte, 24; Rasheed Wallace, Portland, 15; Ray Allen, Milwaukee, 13; John Stockton, Utah, 11 (1); Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Atlanta, 5; Michael Finley, Dallas, 5; Steve Francis, Houston, 5; Mike Bibby, Sacramento, 4; Pau Gasol, Memphis, 4; Raef LaFrentz, Dallas, 4; Shawn Marion, Phoenix, 4; David Robinson, San Antonio, 4; Vince Carter, Toronto, 3; Antonio Davis, Toronto, 3; Clifford Robinson, Detroit, 3; Rashard Lewis, Seattle, 2; Michael Olowokandi, L.A. Clippers, 2; Elden Campbell, Charlotte, 1; Sam Cassell, Milwaukee, 1; Reggie Miller, Indiana, 1; Cuttino Mobley, Houston, 1; Wally Sczcerbiak, Minnesota, 1.

3. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Dude!!!!!! What's wrong with you!!!??? The kid had a injury plague season! What was he suppose to do? He showed up when he could and played his heart for that freakn team! He still manage to average 20ppg 6assist and 7 boards I think with all that going on. Everyone fan around the league adores this kid and Houston fans really know how to take a guy situation for granted. Step Up? Maybe you need to Step BacK!

4. sjackson0

Ok......that was too harsh! I'm just saying that he will when he's fully healthy. Sorry

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think the fans need to prove themselves, don't worry about Francis.

6. sjackson0

I couldn't agree more

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

not making the all-nba team has absolutely nothing to do with steve needing to prove himself. no way he deserved it this year anyway. however what he does need to prove is that he can get us to the playoffs. imo, when he's healthy and the rocks are healthy, i think he's shown we have a pretty nice shot.

8. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Grrr. Steve Francis has to get revenge next year.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Damn, Paul Pierce was ROBBED!!! Not that making the 2nd team is a lot better than making the 3rd team, but Iverson and Payton over Pierce? Give me a break.

10. DaneB

DaneB Member

I wasnt saying that Francis had a bad season, dont get me wrong, I was just saying that Francis is too well of a player for him not to be on this list. I think that he could play a lot better than Nash, Payton, and fairly close to Kidd. See the thread title Francis needs to prove to everyone else that he is good enough to be one of the elite in this league. It is more of motivation, instead of being critical. I guarantee you that if Francis makes 2nd team ALL NBA next year, then we are in really good shape.

I agree with you, sjackson0, nobody should be critical towards Francis after all he went through this season. Im not trying to be critical towards him at all. After all, he is my favorite player on the Rockets. He had an amazing season and to make it even more amazing is the fact that he was hampered by injuries and multiple headaches all year. What Im saying that he needs to prove to everyone else that he is strong enough of a player to make this list and possibly even steal Kidd's spot from him.

I definitely agree with you DC, Pierce was robbed I think he should have at least gotten first team over McGrady, heck Iverson did not do that well at all, Pierce should have easily been there.

#10 DaneB, May 1, 2002
    Last edited: May 1, 2002
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

ok, i misinterpreted what you were saying. :) it'd be nice for him to make the team next year cause for sure it'd have to mean we're doing pretty well. hopefully though, he doesn't worry about stats(i don't think he does) and concentrate on whatever it takes for us to make the playoffs, personal accolades or not.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, if he would have quit drinking and taking his medication like the DOCTORS told him too, he could have gotten the Migraines under control a LOT earlier.

You know why the Rocks wanted to send him to the MAYO clinic? So that Steve would finally believe the diagnosis.

Francis is an amazing talent, but there is a reason that Rudy and CD are very worried about him being able to take it to the next level...which by the way is mostly attainable through intelligent play, not better athleticism.

DaDakota