1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horry interview on ESPN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nikos, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

On the ESPN show today at 5pm UNSCRIPTED WITH CHRIS CONNELLY...Robert Horry was interviewed. And one question popped up saying what was your favorite championship team? Then Horry kind of chuckled and said something like "Well I hope Shaqs not around when i say this but the Rockets in 95 were my favorite team, the way we went through those 60 win teams and Orlando who were on NBC every Sunday and were Gods of the NBA" :D

Interesting that he said that :D He has a deep appreciation for that team....And he also mentioned how he got 20pts 10reb average in the finals....so obviously he was better back in 95 :D

Hmm Maybe he really beleives the Rockets 95 team to be better than the Lake....but is too afriad to say it outright :D

its ok Horry we know who you ::cough cough Rockets 95 cough cough:: the better team really was :cool:

#1 Nikos, Apr 30, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2002
  2. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I agree that team was better we had a better center and a superstar shooting guard who was not concerned with petty things like *cough* Kobe *cough*. He should be called Kobe Miscreant.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

:D

I just get goose bumps thinking about that team.

Dream
    Drexler
    Horry
    Ellie
    Kenny Smith
    Cassell
    Chucky Brown
    Charles Jones

4. drc3906

drc3906 Member

Those were our best years. Hopefully we can have years just as great as those in the near future.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As Charlie Palillo said yesterday on SportsRadio:

By the time the Rockets got to the Finals in 1995, that team was hell on wheels.

I don't know that I've ever seen a team gel so well so quickly. They really came together in Game 2 of that Utah series...and just took off. Does anyone else remember how good the Spurs were that year??? How good the Suns were?? How good the Magic were?? This team came out of the 6th seed and beat them all...swept the Magic!!!

Honestly, I think that's probably the sportsfan highlight of my life...I can't imagine that any team would take us on a wilder ride to a championship than the 1995 Rockets.

6. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

I'd bet if you ask most past Rockets from the championship years, they would love to return to the team if management wanted them.

Unfortunately, seems like management has shown Kevin Willis mo' love than Horry or Cassell.

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

Cassell wants too much money to be a second-stringer here.

I thought there was some discussion about bringing Horry back the last time he was a FA (2 years ago?), but *he* decided it was in his best interest to stay where he is.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I just remember Rudy resting Dream late in the year to get to a favorable matchup in the first round with Utah.

Anemia...(cough cough)

DaDakota

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

a favorable matchup??? who was the alternative?? we were the sixth seed...who did we miss??? who would we have played if we had been the 5th seed?? Seattle???

i always assumed that Hakeem really did suffer from anemia...didn't he have some clotting problems that year too??

10. bsb8532

bsb8532 Member

I think Shaq would agree we were on a role. ;)

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

that's one thing i love about shaq. ever since he came into the league, he gave respect where respect was due. he idolized dream and he told it like it was. sometimes shaq gives crazy quotes (big aristotle..ha), but he'll give credit where credit's due.

12. man532

man532 Member

It's moments like the 95 Championship game when we closed it out in 4 that makes me want to move back to Houston from Orlando to watch Stevie Franchise hang a banner in the new joint.

By the way, like an idiot I purchased 2 seats behind the Rockets bench and attended the game with Steve McNair (trying to land as a financial planning client w/o success).

13. Nikos

Nikos Member

When did he say this? Where did you get this quote?:eek:

this quote....

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I can't beat you, I'll be a man and say I can't beat you. I'm not going to [cry about it]... I'm the first guy to say that somebody is better than me. I was the first guy to say Hakeem Olajuwon beat me in the [1995] NBA finals. He killed me. He dominated me. I didn't go, 'Oh, he's traveling. They had experience. Wah-wah-wah.' I'm a man. Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt."
    -- Shaquille O'Neal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

and espn page 2 thinks that the 95 team was the 2nd worst championship team from any sport in history..

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's from Shaq's book.

16. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

1995 was one of the greatist times in my life. I graduated High School as the Rockets were in the playoffs. I landed my very first 2 handed dunk (while wearing the official drexler jersy I got for graduation) the night they won the title. I won 200 bucks off of the magic fans I knew, and to top that all off I met my wife that summer. 1995 was a year never to be forgotten in my life. God I loved that team. I too get goosebumps just thinking about it

17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

>I just remember Rudy resting Dream late in the year to get to a >favorable matchup in the first round with Utah.

>Anemia...(cough cough)

>DaDakota

Dude, is that really ALL you care to remember from that year? EVERY championship team (or I should say most) gets some breaks along the way, and if avoiding Seattle was ours, well so be it.

We'll still be lucky if we EVER see a championship run that exciting and filled with so many memorable plays in this city again.