1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PTI: Wilbon thinks T-Mac may be done

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by badgerfan, Feb 10, 2009.

1. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

you could also say Grant Hill or Steve Francis. Interesting that all these players are fairly closely related to McGrady in some form...
    Penny: former #1 at Orlando
    Hill: former teammate at Orlando
    Stevie: traded for McGrady, former teammate of McGrady

2. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

According to this article, http://www.pennhealth.com/ency/article/003090.htm

107 degree fever could lead to brain damage.

I seriously doubt Kobe had a 107-degree fever but there is also no doubt that Kobe is way tougher than Tmac. :(

3. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Next year a make or break year? Grady was leaning into retirement in 2010 less than 2 yrs ago, what makes you think he wants to play for years, also he has enough $ already, he doesn't care about that.

4. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

T mac is done. Trade him to China for some fortune cookies.

5. rocketsmetalspd

Sad thing this team was build now not next year. He will be somewhere doing the TMac things once again being great till his body quits on him.

6. kevtse

kevtse Member

Tmac took a lot of rest due to injuries.

7. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

YES! AWESOME!

Quote of the night!

8. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I refuse to believe that Tmac is done.

He was still at superstar level last season and in fact he almost took us into the 2nd round by himself.

Where have you gone, Tracy McGrady?

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He should of just played baseball. I think he would of made a great outfielder!

10. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

11. James23

James23 Member

T-mac has been on a decline after the 1st year with the Rockets. He reminded me of Ken Griffey Jr. Both guys rely too much on their natural abilities and don't train much in the off season. While guys like Kobe lift weights and eat healthy food, T-mac rest at home playing video games and eat big macs.Therefore, they fade away quicker.

Even if T-mac is physically fit, he is still a loser.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill come to mind.

Two of the most talented guys this league has ever seen yet never could pull it together.

Bill Walton is another guy.

EDIT: I just finished reading the thread. Ya'll beat me to the Penny and Grant comparisons.

13. 24 in a roll

24 in a roll Member

At 30 years, 171 days old, Kobe Bryant became the youngest player in NBA history to reach the 23,000-point plateau.

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well before this year, even with injuries i wouldn't really say he wasted much talent. i mean he's been putting up HOF-level stats for the better part of a decade and in the playoffs he's put up even better stats. however, in terms of precipitous, off-a-cliff type drop-offs, francis would probably be the best comparison (which others mentioned). despite the hate around here, francis didn't really "waste" anything in his healthy years (~20/6/6 for 5 or 6 years), but he fell off even harder than tmac, whether from injuries or just not caring.

kind of weird that probably the 2 biggest inexplicable drop-offs in recent nba history just happened to be our last 2 perimeter stars. and just to make it even weirder, throw in that francis was traded here for michael dickerson and cuttino and francis were traded from here for tmac. francis was essentially done at 28, dickerson was forced to retire by whatever injury he had and was done at 25, tmac is now basically done at 29, and cuttino had the heart problem this year and was forced to retire early at 33. so basically, don't be a really good perimeter player for the rockets (or in some way be associated with steve francis) if you want a long, healthy career.

now that i think about it, marbury was getting big playing time under isiah until francis came along, now he hasn't even set foot on the court this season.

edit: and the thing with guys like penny, mashburn, houston, and hill is that they kept playing after falling off (or did houston and mashburn stop quicker than i remember?). francis just basically disappeared off the nba map and, as others have said, i could see tmac just hanging it up after this contract and never being heard from again.

#54 francis 4 prez, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why not make T-Mac the Sixth Man and bring him off the bench for fewer minutes of offensive explosiveness? I know it seems whacked with the big contract... but even whackier is having to pay him when he's not playing.

16. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Penny Hardaway?

17. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

If he can only score 3 points as a starter then what's the point of bringing him off the bench? Well its not for scoring punch and definantly not for defense.

18. littleyao

littleyao Member

Kobe Bryant?
    Kevin Garnett?

Aren't those guys coming right out of high school? Aren't they in the league longer than McLady?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Loose particles.

Not reconstruction, not microfracture, not cartlidge shaving, not meniscus tear....he had LOOSE PARTICLES !!!

The smallest possible surgery one could have, and he is carrying the drama forward like it is a major deal.

Tmac can not be this cowardly, really, can he?

DD

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No he wasn't. He shot (slightly) under 42% from the field last season, under 30% from the 3 point line, 68% from the FT line, had his lowest rebound rate since his rookie year, and scored fewer points per game than he had since 1999.