1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Pacers and Bobcats talking trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Legend Killer, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3897431

By Chris Sheridan
    ESPN.com
    Archive
    The Indiana Pacers and Charlotte Bobcats have engaged in serious discussions on a multiplayer trade centered around point guards Jamaal Tinsley and Raymond Felton, multiple sources told ESPN.com Tuesday.

Tinsley

Felton
    The discussions between the teams have been ongoing for weeks, though the parameters and pieces have continually changed. If the deal comes to fruition, the sources said, it would likely include Tinsley, Jeff Foster and a third player (Brandon Rush, Stephen Graham, Marquis Daniels) going to the Bobcats for Felton, Nazr Mohammed and Sean May.

One source said there was only one team other than the Bobcats interested in Tinsley, who has been told to stay away from the Pacers since the start of training camp while Indiana tries to trade him. Tinsley has two years remaining on his contract after this season for $7.2 million and $7.5 million, making the task of moving him even more difficult for Indiana president Larry Bird. The sources who spoke to ESPN.com indicated the current hangups in the Bobcats-Pacers talks included:

• The Bobcats' insistence on including Mohammed in any deal, with Charlotte wanting to get rid of his remaining two years ($6.4 and $6.9) in return for assuming Tinsley's guarantee.

• How much value Charlotte would get in return for Felton, who becomes a restricted free agent July 1 (and whose asking price, the Bobcats fear, will be more than they are willing to pay.)

Three sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, described the discussions as "active," though none would go so far as to say a Tinsley-Felton deal was likely prior to the Feb. 19 NBA trade deadline.

In a conference call with reporters Tuesday, Bobcats executive Michael Jordan said he likes the improvement Felton has shown, but wouldn't rule out trading him. Though Jordan did add, that's "not what our intent is as of right now."

The sources also said the Bobcats and Pacers had discussed a different version of a Felton-Tinsley deal earlier this season that included Adam Morrison and Shannon Brown, the two players the Bobcats ended up dealing to the Los Angeles Lakers last week for Vladimir Radmanovic.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

dont really see how this helps either team...

weird that they would trade their two big UNC guys after i thought the only drafted felton and may to try to lure in the UNC guys to charlotte. they should have drafted the best talent available

3. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

What other UNC guy did they trade?

4. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Charlotte loves making trades.

5. Chamillionaire

wouldn't give up felton for tinsley, but getting back foster plus a young wing is tempting.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

LOL...I forgot about Jamaal Tinsley making $7M this year to "stay the hell away" from the Pacers. Only in the NBA.....

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if only all jobs had guaranteed contracts.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

I thought Tinsley got traded to the Nuggets.

I was wondering why I never saw him.

9. TheRocketShow24

Pacers destroy the deal by a mile, Felton is a player who actually has a lot of potential and a lot of life left in his game.

Tinsley on the other hand, is a trouble maker, lazy, he has talent but their is nothing special about it.

I'm not surprised if this trade goes through because Michael Jordan is the GM for the Bobcats.

10. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

I dont know if it counts but they traded Brandan Wright on draft night.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He probably means Sean May.

12. 24 in a roll

24 in a roll Member

false, totally false.

13. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

indy already has a low fg% pg in tj ford, felton is a killer, my fantasy team watches him go 3-13 on a nightly basis. Ford,Felton,Jack....I wouldnt mind seeing us grab one, I like Jack he's a tough defender with a nice mid range game.

14. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

Brown hates Sean May and theyve been actively shopping him. He's constantly injured and a bust. Nazr didnt live up to expectations as a center playing beside Okafor so I can see why they would want Foster who's a good rebounder.

Felton only started to play great after his injuries. They probably wouldnt want to trade him away, but it's the only way Pacers would agree to the trade since they want to get rid of Tinsley and get a respectable replacement PG in the process.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You do not understand......

Nazi has the same contract is Tinsley, So they are trying to get a semi productive player while giving the same contract back.....

This deal is more about contracts than needs...

#15 RudyTBag, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009