1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Yao was African American....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by roxwin, Feb 10, 2009.

1. roxwin

roxwin Member

If Yao was African American,with same skill,How do you think he will be treated? Yao was being traded so unfair since first day he came here,with equal treatments like every player here,he will be superpower.

2. GMAC

GMAC Member

He's the Chinese version of Jackie Robinson.

3. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

if yao was african american, he would be stronger, better, faster.

no stereotypes or anything but black people are usually more physically built.

4. TheBigAristotle

They say white men can't jump.

5. lastmanstanding

At the very least I think he wouldn't be nearly as injury proned.

6. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

i think he is unfairly labelled soft to an extend due to he isn't black. He has to play one of the most physical position in the league against some of the biggest men on earth and he is doing pretty well. Yet somehow random assholes always label him as soft, while guys like KG with a much softer game don't.

7. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

I disagree.

Signed,
    Tracy McGrady

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think he would be viewed differently by people who watch basketball and the media.

9. TheRocketShow24

Media would take him as some other 7'6 guy in the league. His marketing value will go down by a lot. He probably would be more aggressive.

His entire game will be different, you also might want to add if he's now from Africa or from America.

10. tsunami

tsunami Member

stupid thread.

11. i hate the mavs

wow this is a horrible thread

12. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

It would depend on his upbringing, single/both parent home, brothers/sisters, private/public school, DNA, etc.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

At the very least he will probably be more athletic. However, I doubt that he will be the same player-given the AAU culture in the States Ming Robinson (his american name lol) will never have the chance to learn the post moves he is enjoying today. He'll probably be a better 3 pt shooter though lol.

What you'll end up is a tall, slow big man without any knowledge of post moves--essentially the second coming of Manute Bol or the black version of Shawn Bradley :p

14. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He'd be better at threes.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it's more physical than it is racial...men his size simply can't pack on that much weight up top...bradley didnt, muresan didn't, manute bol, didn't.....please don't bring up deke because there's almost half a foot of difference there. And he IS soft. Yao IS soft. Period. That's not hating on him, it is what he is. Now, he isn't as soft as he once was, but he's still not exactly tough. I think that again is just due to his size, his mind might be ready to kick ass, but if his body can't do it, then it doesn't matter.

Have any of you guys tried to play on an undersized goal??? It's not the same, you have less vertical space to work with, you're not getting as high, mainly cus u don't need to. He's not going to generate a lot of speed or power going to the rim because of that. when most guys are throwing their whole body's momentum into someone or at the rim, Yao's only really using his upper body or his arm alone.

17. machange

machange Member

every day 20+10+5.

18. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Fixed for you...

19. redao

redao Member

what is this whining about?

You don't ask for superpower treatment. You earn it.
    If you did not get it, you don't blame your skin color.

20. monster

monster Member

I think people would be a little more critical about his athletic abilities, and he would be included in more trade talks.

BUT, the guy is 7'6"....that IS his athletic ability...to be freakishly tall....you can't expect the guy to have a 36" vertical to go with it.

Because he is such a money maker for the Rockets, and the NBA, it's unlikely he will be traded anytime soon.

On top of that, he's a class act, and his fundamental skills are incredible for someone his size.

I LIKE YAO!