1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PTI: Wilbon thinks T-Mac may be done

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by badgerfan, Feb 10, 2009.

1. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

On today's PTI Wilbon's talked about how McGrady may be done, his body unable to perform anymore or take any more punishment. One interesting point he made was that T-Mac's been in the league for 12 years and his body's taken a lot more punishment than a guy who went to college where the season is only 30 games long.

2. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

well thats stating the obvious

3. TheRocketShow24

T-Mac - done? No Way, the guy is Iron man around here.

[​IMG]

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Hasnt Kobe been in the league for about the same time ? And straight out of high school ?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

When you factor in all the games in which he's played in "second gear", all the games he's skipped for nagging injuries or personal problems, and that he's never played more than 7 games in the postseason ... he really shouldn't have that much wear and tear.

His body just wasn't built for sustaining a high level of play for many years. I wonder which past player he's comparable to in terms of talent wasted on a player with such a fragile body/mind.

6. JKillaD23

JKillaD23 Member

Your title is misleading because i saw it also. He said the Rockets need to rest him for a month. He doesn't think he is done. He said he is 29 and the one thing everyone should look at his 12 seasons and that it can take a toll on your body and that people who are quick to bash him need to remember that he came straight from high school. He also said that he should rest and then management should look at it from there. Rest for a month and then see how he responds. College and the NBA are different types of games. I think you need to watch it again when it comes on for the encore.

7. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

^^^ Steve Francis comes to mind

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Kobe's made of sterner stuff.

Oh yeah, Wilbon thinks T-Mac should sit out for a month to see if there's anything left. The other guy, (Lebatard?), seems more resigned to the idea that T-Mac's finished.

No trade talk as far as I can tell.

9. TheRocketShow24

If Dwyane Wade didn't bounce back, I would say him. One comparable is Steve Francis :rolleyes:

10. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

tmac is done

11. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Didn't catch the segment, but I wholeheartedly agree. I do feel that he will return to form next season. Whether he remains with the Rockets or not, remains to be seen. But, during the offseason, McGrady really needs to take a deep look at himself in the mirror and ask if he's ready to see his career go down in flames because at this point it is looking as one of the biggest falls from graces ever.

He needs to transform his game. He needs to perfect his jumpshot, add a fadeaway jumper to his post up game, and learn how to pick his spots in his drives. The days of dunking over Shawn Bradleys are well over as evident to his botched reverse dunk last night. Pop in a couple tapes of Jordan and Kobe in their later years and try emulate what they're doing because frankly Tmac has the ability to emulate those players. I feel that wear and tear is an excuse to great players. Great players figure out ways to adapt their game to overcome wear and tear. Kobe is doing it before our very eyes. If you look at his 61 point game performance, it was as cerebral of a performance since Jordan. The game was a requiem of pivot steps, spins, up and unders, and pure fundamentals. It wasn't just dunking on people or relying on athleticism.

12. TiMacManiaa

TiMacManiaa Member

tmac is not done AT ALL

he will shut down a lot of haters

if its not this year it will be next year

you guys are pushing the panic button WAYYYYY toooo fast

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Grizzly Adams did have a beard.

14. Clutch34

Clutch34 Member

I would agree that he is done being the go-to guy. He may have a few games where he is on
    and reminds people of what he used to be, but in general...he is no longer TMac.

He is an overpaid McGrady who will need to ride the back of some other superstar if he ever plans to win a ring.
    Unfortunately, Yao and Ron are not those stars.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Not sure how bad his scoliosis is but I have it and when I just shot around it gave me a lot of problems. But my curve was pretty bad, not sure about his.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tmac is done, IF he fails to adjust and train his body hard.

It is all up to him whether he wants to go silently into that good night or out with a bang.

He could get in shape, and still be effective, but he has to WORK hard to get there.

DD

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

If he can recover from his knee, he's not done. If he can't, that's it. Docs said he would rebuild the strength in it with playing, so with that info I say he's not done.

The last couple of seasons we've seen a decline b/c of his injuries and apparently this season him not taking care of his injuries in the offseason.

All we can do is sit and wait to see what happens.

18. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I hope you're right, I really do. Hell its probably safe to say everyone on this forum hopes he can put together a 20-30 game stretch of the Orlando T-Mac days.

But he hasn't shown even a glimmer of hope outside of the dunk on TT.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

T-Mac is not done yet. Next year will be a make or break year for him.

If playing for a new contract next year while being over a year removed from the knee surgery and having a second full off-season of conditioning doesn't do it... well, then yeah, he will be finished.

Next year will be the year we'll truly find out if t-mac is done or if he can reach superstar status anymore.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Tracy Mcgrady = Jamal Mashburn