1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ElVenezolano, Apr 29, 2002.

1. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

What's the World Cup?

2. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

You think I'm abusive of powers because I changed your forum title? I joke about a "List"... is that what you're worried about? I wield no big hammer around these parts. Ask Clutch. Kagy. Will. Don't ask Jeff, he hates me (sarcasm alert).

Oh my. You are quite thin-skinned for someone who trolls. And if you don't think "Bye Bye ManU" isn't trolling me, then you're as dumb as you're oversensitive.

Didn't you expect to get a bit in return...?

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

"Almost impossible" to mess with us? Geez, our reputation is slipping.

I thought after that time I went to that one abusive poster's house and burned it down, then buried his wife alive, then disemboweled his cat and played its ribs like a ukelele, and toilet-papered his trees, that we wouldn't have to worry about it again.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

World Cup -

I'll root for the US first, which might be like rooting for the Trailblazers. Then England. Since I've been in London I've gotten to know a lot more about the game watching the Premier and Champions League.

ManU/Leverkusen -

Game starts in the next couple of hours. ManU will get the victory they need to advance. The list of teams Leverkusen has beaten at home is really impressive (Barca, Liverpool, DePortivo and others) but I think Man U will overwhelm with a Finals appearance on the line. And the 'trouble with German teams' line is kinda funny. England had the same 'problem' in the fall when they crushed Germany 5-1 in Germany.

BTW: I was touting Leverkusen as the best German team MONTHS ago. Although they shouldn't even be in the semis as they got steamrolled by my Arsenal team and only advanced when Deportivo got cheeky and schemed to draw ManU in the quarters.

(of course Arsenal would have advanced had they not choked at home to DePortivo, but so what if I'm bitter...)

5. Jovi

Jovi Member

How ironic that the 5-1 loss got Germany seeded and England drawn into the Group of Death. Now that´s what I call bad luck.

As you can see, it´s pretty easy to hurt feelings when talking about soccer.

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

As you can see, it´s pretty easy to hurt feelings when talking about soccer.

Definitely. Like that time I walked up to a group of drunken English soccer hooligans and said, "Soccer's for p*****s, you bunch of bleeding gashes."

Boy, did that ever hurt.

7. keeley

There weren't any hurt feelings, as far as I could tell, until I got the email whining about the forum title :)

8. Jovi

Jovi Member

You´re not as dumb as you´re indiscreet. ;-)

9. keeley

That's not the way to get your forum title changed, young man. :)

10. Jovi

Jovi Member

What is it that takes a long-time member to get back his old title then?

Well, if Leverkusen "bows" out tonight, I at least wasted some of your time, my administrator. ;)

11. keeley

In the end, you wasted some of Corporate America's time. Though that might make a Euro even happier :\

If Leverkusen advance, you get your forum title changed.

12. Jovi

Jovi Member

Looks like there´s much at stake tonight.

Do I see the same (I believe arrogant) smile on Keeley´s face like the one on Fergie´s when he entered the stadium last Wednesday.

Then I like my chances even better. :)

Time to get ready. See you later.

13. keeley

You most certainly do! :D

14. Heath

Heath Member

Barthez

Silvestre Johnsen Blanc Brown

Giggs Butt Veron Keane Scholes

Van Nistelrooy

Go United - Go!!!

Interesting that they go out in a seemingly 4-5-1 when they need a goal, but Giggs might be playing attack?

15. keeley

Harumph.

Well, now I'm taking suggestions as to what I should change his title to.

16. Kimble14

Kimble14 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Neither team is one of my favorites, but at least Bayer has an American on their team (well, in only the loosest definition). {Edit: I was talking about Heydude, but I totally forgot they owned Donovan's contract.} Being a Barcelona fan, though, I probably would've ended up cheering for whoever won this match in the final. :(

Back on topic, however -- my #2 team (after the US) is the Netherlands. Oops! I guess I'll be cheering for Spain, or maybe Germany. Possibly Brazil. Japan's a possibility. Also Costa Rica, although it probably won't matter. Probably not England or Italy. Definitely not Mexico.

As to Jovi, how about the ever-popular "Ger 1:5 Eng"? Or a special Geoff Hurst avatar?

#36 Kimble14, Apr 30, 2002
    Last edited: May 1, 2002
  17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Well, you can't really say ManU deserved to advance. I can't believe they lost, but Leverkusen keeps advancing. You wouldn't think they had a chance against Real in the Finals, but then again, you could have said the same about them in the last couple of rounds.

My personal opinion is that Ryan Giggs is the definition of OVERRATED. He makes a run or two and stands around the rest of the time. And I think Ferguson should have started with Ole Gunnar and the Rudester up front, especially needing goals.

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

If Man U had Becks, they win.

19. keeley

Leverkusen is a great side to watch. My hat is off to them. Most of the people in America think of soccer as so boring, 1-0 games but the entertainment value of the United/Liverpool/Leverkusen ties was incredible. And I agree with your assessment of Real, however Leverkusen just keeps getting by... Leverkusen will be a bit of a sentimental favorite given that the ownership intends on letting players leave at the end of the season *and* they should be underdogs.

Agreed again on Ole Gunnar. He's a special player. I hate Fergie's damn 4-5-1 >:| Ryan Giggs, I don't entirely disagree. He is indeed overrated, IMO, but I also believe he is better than you think. Without Beckham on the other wing Giggs loses some space, therefore a great portion of his effectiveness. Again, a difference of opinion that no message board will ever solve.

20. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Giggs is very good. No doubt about that. But tonight he could have made a big difference and he came up with a fat zero. On his one 'great run' he flubbed it at the end with two or three other ManU players streaking in front of the goal. Not quite what you'd expect from the player some say makes ManU go. Poor Diego Forlan. Hits what would have been the winner only to have it headed off the line. In the end I think you can put the blame squarely on Fergie's shoulders.

As far as Leverkusen goes...one thing I noticed is that they never seem to stop running. They are always pressing the ball. It was suprising to see them in constant motion while a supposedly explosive ManU team stood around (with a few exceptions like Roy Keane).