1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare Stoudemire a Rocket? The Rockets will try but come up short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scola4, Feb 6, 2009.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Man I just can't agree with this one. One thing you can say about Hinrich is that he has been consistant through out his career. And by consistant I mean consistantly good. I think he is a very good half court point guard and plays well above average defense.

The thing that sticks out the most about Hinrich when people say he would not do well on the Rockets is Mike Bibby. Bibby was not considered a bust in Vancouver but I don't think anyone thought that he had ever played up to his draft status. And the fact that the Grizz were willing to trade him for JWill is all the proof anyone needs to know what the Grizz had drastically tappered their expectations of him. When Bibby went to the Kings he quickly showed that he was the perfect fit for RA's offense.

Although I am not saying that Hinrich is the same as Bibby I do think their situations are similar and I also think Hinrich would be a perfect fit for a half court offense. Alston hits 36% FG and 33% 3pt. Hinrich is is hitting 41.7% FG and 36% from 3pt...a substantial improvement from Alston. And the Rockets would loose absolutely nothing in the form of play making or defense. Hinrich might even benifit from the RA offense in a way that most players just don't.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It makes sense in a "Look at the shiny object in the corner" way, but not in a winning NBA games way.

If you take a look at the per 48 minutes stats for PF's you might be surprirsed

Notice that Amare is number 5 with a very nice 27ppg per 48 minutes, looks great right?

But take a gander on down the chart a bit at Landry and Scola they are at 18 and 20 respectively at 20.7 and 20.2 ppg per 48 minutes.

That is production nearly identical for FAR less money than what Amare is making.

And now you want to toss in Aaron Brooks as well? I mean really? The ONLY other penetrating player on the entire team?

Sure he has struggled some this year, but it is his 2nd year at the toughest position in the NBA to learn and play, and when he has started...he has not been good, he has been GREAT....outplaying CP3 & Devin Harris to name 2....

So, by trading Landry, Artest and Brooks as you mentioned, the Rockets get marginally better at PF and significantly WEAKER at our already weakest positiong.

Please notice that Brooks has been finishing games lately to force teams to honor his shot, now we give the ball back to Rafer, and teams leave HIM wide open.

I am sorry, this is robbing Peter to pay Paul....either you trade Artest for a penetrating PG or quality scoring Wing who can move off the ball and hit shots.....or you sit tight.

But you don't go for the shiny dress in the window just to fool people into thiniking you are actually trying.

Chemistry and fit......that is how you win....chemistry and fit....Amare satisfies neither.

DD

3. DaDakota

Imagine how much better Hinrich would be with all the attention Yao and Tmac get on the floor?

He would be wide open....it is ASTONISHING that people fail to talk about him in the context of how he would fit on the Rockets and only look at his history in an entirely different team oriented concept.

So short sighted.

DD

4. crash5179

I just don't think we have enough athletisism in our front court. We have seen it all year from teams that can not match us in talent but beat us based on front court athletisism. Scola is very good, Landry is very good but Amare is dominant and has as much athletisism as any front court player in the league.

I agree with you that we still need to upgrade at point guard and Hinrch might be the perfect fit in RA's offense, but I don't think you ignore an oppurtunity to improve in one area of your game just because you are week in another. Yao, Amare and either TMac or Battier at the three gives us potentially as good or better front court than any team in the NBA which I don't think we can say now.

5. crash5179

I agree. His percentages would likely go up with having Yao in the post and TMac on the wing. I think he would be a lethal offensive weopon on the floor with some of our other offensive peices.

6. DaDakota

And in a league now dominated by BACKCOURT play.....we continue to fall short because we don't address this glaring area of need.

DD

7. hkcosser

hkcosser Member

I would like to sleep,
    In order to better watch the game tomorrow,
    I hope that McGrady Do not focus on data,
    But do their best to defend,
    If there is no change
    On the transaction

8. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I would a support a move for Hinrich. I was at the Bulls game and found myself wishing that if only he was our starting point guard we would be so much better. The pick and roll between Yao and Hinrich would be more effective than with Rafer. Think of all the wide open floaters and jump-shots that are available for Rafer. Now picture Hinrich, whose mechanics are better.

#408 rocketsregle, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I disagree. Amare is having a down season. Since the Suns are poorly coached and Kerr is a moron, I understand why. Nash has complained too, Bell and Diaw are gone, Shaq is a disaster for their style. Amare's a dominant offensive player. All those open 15 foot shots are automatic for him. He still attacks the basket, gets to the line, and is an amazing athlete. None of us can predict what the team chemistry will be with Amare.

I don't dislike Brooks at all. I have defended him even during his slump. That being said, he's not a guy I look at and say "This is our pg of the future." I say "This guy can be a spark plug off the bench. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not a deal breaker for me. He was finishing games because rafer was playing terrible. Bringing up his games against Paul and Harris means nothing to me. If that's the case then you can bring up Amare's amazing performance against Duncan in the Playoffs. Come on now.

Sit tight? Now I have to ask you REALLY? This team is a complete mess. We aren't going to resign Artest. Getting Amare for the next two years still beats that. Do we need an athletic 3 who can score, absolutely. Do we need a better starting pg, sure. Name some we can get though? Essentially you're trading Brooks and Landry for Amare. That's highway robbery. Artest and Head are worthless save for their expiring contracts.

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

If we trade for Amare, we do have 2 weeks till the trade deadline. If things don't look well, we can always trade him for more value we could have gotten out of Artest. ;)

11. crash5179

I think we have until 2010 to make Yao / TMac work. After that I think Les washes his hands of TMac and takes the cap room to chase a current superstar. One of the superstars he might be chasing in 2010 is Amare. If we can get Amare now and pare him with Yao and TMac then we have hedged our bets. We have this remaining season and next to give it a shot and if it is not working to our liking then we have tons of cap room to take a shot at someone else and rebuild our team.

12. King1

Exactly

13. DaDakota

I would not package Brooks, you can not have Rafer Alston as the only option at PG.

DD

14. King1

That's why I said use the trade exception to go after a guy like Earl Watson. If not, go sign someone. It's not like the Alston/Brooks combo has been impressive this year. IMO, both are way too up and down.

15. DaDakota

Earl Watson? Come on.....

Brooks has struggled at times, and at others looked great....I would stick with him and let him develop, he outplayed CP3, and Devin Harris, I think he just needs more time.

Ever wonder why the Spurs don't make huge gambling moves? They just get players that fit.

Morey and Les could learn a lot by taking that approach....

You don't blow up your roster every couple of years and go for the home run, it just doesn't work.

And this team is not getting any younger, and trading away all the first round picks plus all the young talented players like Landry and Brooks......who will get even better.......for a guy who could bolt after next season, or his microfractured knee could go at any minute.

Is frankly....just.....flat....out....STUPID !

DD

16. Gooback

Gooback Member

The Spurs have consistent production out of Timmmmmay, Tony, and Manu.....we have no consistency except for Yao..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiZ4C3k0Z4U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiZ4C3k0Z4U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. DaDakota

This is just false....Manu missed the first 20 games and is only NOW rounding into shape.

Parker missed several weeks too.....

Did the Spurs panic? Did they move people around and play them out of position?

No, they just played their system, with the next guy down the bench......and when the starters and better players are healthy, they are a better team.

Now, contrast that with the Rockets.......they move people around, in and out, change their assignments...meddle....

Well, it leads to indecision and inconsistency.

The Rockets could learn a lot by emulating them.

DD

18. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Brooks outplaying CP3 is a smoke screen. The guy had an off night. In a playoff series he would eat brooks alive.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

We have Scola mofo!

20. King1

Earl Watson is coveted by many teams. He's a solid pg. Just like Antonio Daniels.

I already addressed the Brooks situation. I like the guy. I just don't see him as a starting pg. He's a spark off the bench. Amare won ROY out of high school and dominated Duncan in the Playoffs. It's the same type of logic you are using.

We aren't the Spurs. They drafted very well and lucked into the best PF of all time.

I'm sure any team that gets Amare will talk to him about an extension. You have until 2010 on this. Landry will never play defense. He's a very solid guy and I like him. Brooks is a good spark plug off the bench. They aren't key pieces to a Championship team. Maybe with JVG, not with Adelman.

I guess that's a matter of opinion (it being stupid). I think it's a great move