1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The team don't play defense!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yao4REAL, Feb 4, 2009.

1. jsd59

jsd59 Member

i dont know what game yall were looking at but Tmac man was not the one who scored 32 points..... at least he did score 21... but its his fault that your star player BATTIER did not gaurd his man...o i forgot he had surgury this summer so he gets a bye... yall fans are stupid its a team game not a 1 mans game.imm sick of reading about just 1 player sucking they all suck .

2. rockability71

rockability71 Member

We have Shane Battier and Ron Artest who are supposed to be the best defensive players in the league. And Yao is underrated as a defensive force in the lane. Why our defense is so bad? I just don't get it.

3. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

I agree, he is consistently bad on defense. I have no clue what he was watching the other night against The Bulls when Tyrus Thomas got a wide open back door slam.

Though, I don't think you can say his jumpshot is consistent. Some nights, he never, I mean never misses a jumpshot and other nights he is way long or way short.

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Have you ever seen Scola play defense?? He gives up easy layups. Artest is not going to play well as a bench player. He needs to be a starter...he thrive off being a starter. We don't care about PG because most team exploitation came from inside and other position, they hardly exploit the PG position. But like i said, if you start Shane Artest Hayes and Yao, they are more than enough to cover any Aaron's brook defensive weakness.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

everybody on this team has been bad defensively.

1) tracy - terrible (can't go around screens to save his life)
    2) artest - terrible (gambles way too much)
    3) shane - borderline terrible b/c every guy who he has guarded has lit him up this year basically
    4) yao - below average b/c let's be real, nobody fears our big men (marc gasol wants to post you up and you're 7'6, something is freakin' wrong)
    5) rafer - below average b/c he goes under screens too much and pick and roll defense is terrible

and i can go on

and our best intimidator: deke stays chillin' on the bench

6. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

I wouldn't mind seeing Yao/Hayes/Battier/Artest/McGrady

Just for one game to see what happened. What point guard in the league is going to stop McGrady? Provided McGrady will post those players up, it's a mismatch everytime. Plus, if Artest gets his slashing game back together, he is going to be very hard to stop. Most teams 2-Guard can't stop him. Adelman had to put Hayes on him last year. Battier would get a lot of open kick outs with this team because of all the double teams. And Yao and Hayes would clean up all the missed shots, giving The Rockets a lot of 2nd chance opportunities.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its what I've been b****ing about for sometime. As much as people want to blame tracy, for the first 15 games of the season, the rox were giving up 90ppg on 43% shooting. When I check it now, they're giving up 95ppg on 45% fg. The bigger issue is the lack of versitility and size combinations along the front lines. They don't have 2 guys from the same spot that compliment each other.Deke and Yao can't play together and neither can Scola and Landry. That really limits what you can do defensively. How do they resolve this? The can trade hi or low. The ultimate guy is Camby. He's has a great defensive iq, great weakside shotblocker,long, and athletic. He's going to cost you a couple of good players, maybe even scola. Scola and Battier will probably do. A mid range option is Turiaf. He's a little bigger than both forwards, and good shot blocker, plays hard and is pretty young. He makes 4.5m per for the next 4 yrs. He'll cost you scola or landry plus a throw in like head. He's not as offensive as landry or scola, but he can play the 4/5. The low end is elson and williams. Elson is solid, nothing spectacular, but he is a 7ft er with a solid mid range j. He's backed up duncan and played with him and they've won.The ring experience is a plus. Shaun Williams is the unknown because he's had problems with the nets, but is a extremely talented and athletic 6'10 guy. He can play center with the 2nd teamers, but can also play the 4 along with yao and be the weakside shotblocker. He'll cost head or hayes since he's on his rookie deal.

There are small deals or big deals out there for morey, its just a matter of him making a move. If it were me, I would get camby because he's the most accomplished, he's one of the best rebounders and shot blockers in the league and this team is all in anyway. His contract expires after 2010, so it keeps the rox in the dream summer. Whatever the fact, they need a goaltender or someone with size to play with or spell yao without killing the offense.