1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Alston not worried about rotation change

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coob5, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Coob5

Coob5 Member

I think Rafer's lack of offensive threat is causing our stars to get double teamed. No teams are going to give Aaron brooks open looks from three when he can either drain the three or drive in for a crafty layup. I like the idea of Brooks taking some of Rafer's minutes. There are some nights that Rafer is having a decent shooting night, such as last night... but he does not have enough of these to make up for his poor decision making and execution especially on fast break opportunities.

2. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

you're really overestimating what Aaron can do on offense. Let's not forget that his %'s have dipped considerably since the beginning of the season.

3. ibm

ibm Member

when someone says there is no concern for something, there usually is a concern in some way.

but rafer plays better when his job is on the line.

4. Coob5

Coob5 Member

I know what he is capable of and yes he has had a slump this season. But you cannot tell me that Aaron is not more of an offensive threat than Rafer. He also is still developing which is positive because that means he can get even better. Rafer does not have that upside, he is as good as he'll ever be. Why don't we allow this young guy to develop instead of letting him learn the game behind one of the worst starting PG's in the league.

5. redao

redao Member

When Rafer was shooting better than 50%, Rockets record is 5:4.
    When Rafer was shooting worse than 20%, it is 6:2.
    When Rafer was not playing at all, it is 5:1.

For team's sake, Rafer should consult Doc McGrady and get some rest.

6. ajsports23

ajsports23 Member

brooks is taking over the point

7. hkcosser

hkcosser Member

When I can to new thread
    I can give you more Chinese rockets fans point of view

8. ibm

ibm Member

so stats show we should root for rafer to shoot worse? :eek:

9. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Aaron and his paltry 2.6 assists per game? Nah, especially when he doesn't shoot much better than Rafer. He isn't an upgrade.

10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

yah he's been shooting poorly lately, but he is a good shooter, everyone knows that. and even if he isn't people think he is and they guard him. with rafer, people perceive him as a poor offensive player and therefore don't bother to guard him much. it's the threat of scoring that makes aaron so good, because people know he is quick as lightning and can shoot from remarkable range, in a shooting funk or not, he's hit the sophomore wall as clyde says haha

11. Pablo Escobar

Pablo Escobar Contributing Member

This is exactly what Rudy T did with Kenny Smith and Sam Cassell. Go with the hot hand in the 4th quarter.

Sometimes it was Kenny swacking trey's when Dream was doubleteamed in half-court sets. Sometimes it was Sam Cassell pushing the ball on the fast break, taking the ball to the rim and consequently going to the free throw line.

Who is gonna really argue that you shouldn't go with the hot hand?

Yes, Rafer is deficient offensively and defenders cheat on him to double team Yao. He makes up for it (usually) with servicable defense and gets our team into the right sets.

Yes, Aaron Brooks is typically a defensive liability, but he offers that Sam Cassell spark, driving the lane and being a weapon behind the arc.

Just win baby.

#11 Pablo Escobar, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

So we've only played 23 games?!? :confused:

Edit: Oops. My bad. Evidently, he's shot between 20%-50% a lot.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

14. ibm

ibm Member

:D :D :D

this made my day.

15. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Hey, DaDakota, I would sure like to know your thoughts about this article about Rafer not being too concerned about the rotation change.

Actually, my thoughts about the article itself, I'm actually waiting to see the rotation change take place, when we see Aaron Brooks take a lot more of Rafer's minutes.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Alston SUCKS when he is not concerned

Put someone behind him
    riding him . . .
    threatening him

he is 200% better

Rocket River
    he too comfortable

17. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

Seems when need defence Alston plays longer, while need offense AB plays longer.