1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you give for Kevin Garnett?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Apr 25, 2002.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I just finished watching the Mavs school the T-Pups. It looks like the pups will loose their sixth straight first round play off game. The pups have no cap space and none on the horizon. They have no number one draft picks for 2002 or 2004. Garnett can not carry the team by himself. It is obvious that this team will never be better than a mediocre team the way it is currently constructed. Kevin McHale and the pups organization has got to be thinking that a drastic course of action may be necessary to if they ever want to have a team that has a shot at winning the title.

Could KG become available this off season? The pups have to consider a trade for him if the right one came up.

What would it take to get KG? How about Thomas, Rice (for cap reasons) and 3 number one draft picks?
    This years lottery pick, our pick in 2004 and a third lottery protected pick after that. Would that be too much or not enough? With a deal like that you would almost have to hope that Eddie Griffin could turn into a LaFrentz type of center because we would loose any chance at cap space any time in the next decade and we certainly would not have any draft picks in the first round.

Imagine a team like this:

1 Steve Francis / Mooche / Brown
    2 Cat / Oscar / TMo
    3 MoT / TMo / Oscar
    4 KG / Eddie / MoT
    5 Cato / Eddie

We would still have a 15th round pick that maybe would could use to get another back up center or maybe even package it with some one for another 3 or maybe a center.

What if the T-Pups said that they would take the deal but we would have to include Eddie instead of Kenny? Considering KG?s age I think I might have to take that deal (man I would hate to see Eddie go). If we did that would Kenny and the 15th pick in this years draft be enough to get Odom? How about Kenny + this years 15 and 2nd rounder for Odom?

Now the team would look like this:

Steve / Mooche / Tierre
    Cat / Oscar / TMo
    Odom / MoT / TMo
    KG / MoT / TMo
    Cato / Collier / MoT

We would have to be sure that this team could challenge for the championship because we would have no draft picks and no cap space for any foreseeable future. I know the likely hood of any of this actually happening is almost nil but it is the off season, I'm bored and I feel like dream casting tonight.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Crash! Crash! Wake up! Come on man, wake up!

crash5179: "ZZZZ ZZZZ Huh, what? Oh man, what a beautiful dream.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

KG = C-WEBB with a better personality

until KG steps up . . he is a CHOKER like C-webb

Rocket River
    THE KIDD makes 121 MILL too . . .too rich for my blood for a CHOKER :mad:

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

Kevin isn't Micheal Jordan

he's Scottie Pippin

he's the best 2nd option in the league
    but he's always been used as a first

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

OK, this comes up about twice a year and each time the answer is the same.

Garnett (and a few other players..Shaq, Juwan) negotiated their contracts before the current CBA. (It's likely their contracts contributed to the current structure).

So for the still uniniated, Kevin Garnett will make $25.2m for the 2002-2003 season. Garnett's salary is only slightly less than the sum total of all of the following contracts:

Maurice Taylor $7,150,000
    Kelvin Cato $6,696,000
    Cuttino Mobley $4,903,750
    Moochie Norris $3,600,000
    Steve Francis $4,383,582

Now, can we please stop the KG trade scenarios for at least another six months? :)

6. jahiro

jahiro Member

dreamcasting is cool,especially after buying the neccesary tools from bizare bizar,now lets get odom,and get the arena smokin if you know what i mean!!!

#6 jahiro, Apr 25, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2002
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I will give the owner of the T-wolves my sister, left nut, baseball card collection, house, a jar of peanuts, Eddie Griffin, a sack of unshelled peanuts and one four million of Les Alexander's money.

seems fair to me

if they do not except the deal we will throw in the Hope Diamond

8. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

How close would we really have to get to the contract if we have 3 #1's in the deal? Do those count for anything?

KG is the best 2nd option in the game, but you know what? This team wouldn't need him to score in crunch time. Cat does that for us already.

If we offered that much for KG, I'd think Minnesota would have to think about it if we could work out the cap dollars. If the team had done anything in the playoffs or had any other way to get better, then they shouldn't but they are strapped.

This deal is not as far fetched as you might think. I know nothing about the cap, but if KG makes 23M, then we have to get within 5M or so of that I think. If the draft picks don't count, 18M in contracts would be really tough. Cato, Rice, Taylor and Norris +the 3 #1s for Garnett and Nesterovic. realgm says that this trade works, salary wise so it is not impossible. The big question is basketball wise, any reason for Minnesota to do that? Do they get enough?

9. BuckeyeRocketFan

http://www.realgm.com/src_gm_articles.php?artid=business_2002

I just finished reading the above article from RealGM. Minnesota looks to be in some financial trouble this summer because of the Garnett signing. May have to pay luxary tax and other problems. This deal might just be their way out of it. We don't seem very close so we could maybe take on several million in the deal and get them out of tax range, hopefully without putting us in tax range.

Francis/Brown/2nd round pick
    Mobley/Torres
    Garnett/TMo
    Griffin/Thomas
    Rad/#15 pick

Looks pretty tough to beat to me. Big improvement offensively and defensively.

10. BuckeyeRocketFan

You have to be able to see the possibilities, Gater. :D

We only have to get within 15 or 20% of the 25M and you forgot the guy we have under contract who makes the most money who just so happens to play the same position as Garnett in Glen Rice. Rice, Taylor, Cato and Norris would get it in range dollar wise. So after that, it is a matter of working the player/draft pick value combo to work out for Minnesota and give them back low enough salaries as to get them out of their luxary tax troubles.

Very much a longshot? Absolutely. Within the realm of possibility and worth talking about? Sure, why not?

11. german rocketfan

Perhaps This Trade Will Happen:

Francis 4,3
    Mooch 3,6
    Griff 2,1
    Mobes 4,9
    Morris 0,3
    Collier 1,2
    KT 1,0
    Taylor 6,0

That's nearly the whole team :D

12. GATER

BuckeyeRocket - I'm originally from Canton, so I'm gonna be easy on you. :)

Yes, the 1st round picks count against salary (about $3.2m apiece) but why in the world would the TWolves even be remotely interested in:

Glen Rice - we're currently shopping his contract with the 5 and/or 15 and hoping there is a taker.

Mo Taylor - coming off a severe injury, lacks rebounding and defense on his resume.

Kelvin Cato - Nesterovic was hand picked by Kevin McHale and he works with him almost daily on post moves.

Moochie Norris - Billups is already Brandon's backup. Not unless you think Flip Saunders is emphatuated with the Rockets' small ball.

Be realistic - if the TWolves were to shop Garnett, don't you think the other teams won't stand in line and make this offer look horrible? The TWolves management will laugh at the Rockets unless the offer starts with the picks and Francis...

One of the beauties of CC.net is the intelligent content of most of the posters. Let's stop dreamcasting over Garnett...please? ;)

#12 GATER, Apr 25, 2002
  13. BuckeyeRocketFan

The real value comes from the picks. Everybody else is just to get to the salary $$.

But Cato is a solid replacement for Rad. Taylor is a good power forward, yeah injury risk, but to get rid of KGs salary, they have to take something back. If they move KG, I can also see them moving Brandon in a separate deal, making Moochie of some value. And Glen Rice, again while injured, is probably solid when healthy and is there for cap purposes.

How many other teams would a) want to take on KGs salary, b) be able to come up with the salary to give back c) be willing to offer so many picks back and d) have a #5 pick in the deal?

I doubt the TWolves would ever do it, but if they don't think KG is a guy to lead them to a championship, trading him is the only way they will be able to get better because his contract and the Joe Smith fiasco have them completely handcuffed. IF they decided to trade him, this deal would probably be as good as or comparable to anything else they might get.

#13 BuckeyeRocketFan, Apr 25, 2002
  14. GATER

The Bulls leap to mind. They easily satisfy your requirements. Their 1st pick is on par with ours and they can offer Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson.

Mr. McHale's still not interested? OK, #1 pick + Robinson + Jalen Rose. The Bulls (and TWolves) do this in a heartbeat.

Please stop trying to obtain a franchise player for a couple picks. Please?

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Don't ever do that again.

:mad:

;)

One thing you clowns are forgetting in this scenario. Minnesota would have to be outright desperate to trade KG to a division rival. IF Garnett were ever traded, it would be to the East.

16. BuckeyeRocketFan

I understand what you are saying, but I thought the whole point of this thread was Minnesota deciding that he isn't a franchise player.

If they decide that, then they ought to be willing to accept less than a franchise player in return.

Personally, IMO, Garnett is their franchise player and they will not let him go no matter what.

17. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

:rolleyes: * 100

please. and you have the nerve to actually question this deal. start with griff...and many picks. maybe mobley too. it might get mchale to pick up the phone.

amazing some of you guys are. just amazing.

18. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

You guys can forget about getting Garnett. His salary is $25.2 million next year & $28 million in the last year.

Using the CBA 115% rule for next year, we would have to send out at least $21.42 million in players. Our current payroll for next year is $41.534 million, so acquiring Garnett would require us to gut the team. After Rice ($9.2 mill), Taylor ($7.15 mill), & Cato ($6.696 mill), the rest of the players make $4.9 million or less.

I doubt they would want Rice, because of his age & recent injury. Taylor might be acceptable, if he's 100% recovered. Cato is too expensive for what amounts to a backup center.

As for the comment that 3 #1 picks would be the value in the deal, you have to take into consideration the fact that next year's pick is already spoken for by Memphis. According to the CBA, no team can trade away their #1 picks on consecutive years, unless they acquire another pick to replace the one they are trading. For instance: The Rockets can trade away this year's #1 pick (#5), as long as we keep the #15 pick from Toronto.

The other thing to consider is, if Minnesota were dumb enough to accept Rice or Cato, along with Taylor & the Rockets were able to keep the core of Francis & Mobley together, the 3 #1 picks would most probably be late round picks. Definitely not worth it for Minnesota. The bottom line is, it 'aint gonna' happen.

If Minnesota were looking to trade Garnett, don't you guys think that they would get quite a few better offers than what we could offer? For instance:

Dallas: Finley/Van Exel/LaFrentz
    Portland: Pippen(expiring contract)/Bonzi
    Utah: Malone(expiring contract)/Stevenson/Kirilenko
    Toronto: Carter/Jerome Williams/resigned Keon Clark- Yes, I'd trade Carter for a chance at Garnett
    Atlanta: Abdur-Rahim/T-Ratliff
    Cleveland: Illgauskas/Andre Miller/Hill(expiring contract)

These are just a few of the many offers they might receive for Garnett, if they wanted to trade him.

Minnesota's best option, is to wait 2 more years for Garnett's contract to expire, then resign him to a more reasonable (another oxymoron) $12-13 million first year contract. Then they'll be able to add some more pieces to the puzzle.