1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

81st Academy Awards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

bull ****.

no love for HSM3?

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

It was nominated for best picture!!!!*

*in Tiger Beat

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This is the Academy Awards, not the Pedophile's Movie Awards.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

damnit, it was a quality film.

5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Word.

Also, why wasn't the Hills nominated for an Emmy?!

IS THERE NO JUSTICE?!?!?

We live in a cruel world without rhyme or reason

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I loved Wall-e too, but there were many better movies imo: Slumdog Millionaire, Frost/Nixon, The Dark knight, etc.

7. The Brian

The Brian Member

i'm just amazed the dark knight didn't get a best pick or best director nomination when it seemed to be a fairly solid lock to do so.

the oscars make no sense to me.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The Oscars have always snubbed animated movies, the last animated film to get a best picture nom was Beauty and the Beast. The reason they created the Best Animated Feature category in 2001 was because Pixar kept basically making one of the best 5 movies of the year every time they released a film and people were getting annoyed that they weren't getting nominated.

Wall-E was the best reviewed movie of the year, though The Wrestler is 2% higher it has less reviews. Either way, both of them were snubbed.

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Every year some stupid Euro drivel like The Reader ends up taking away slots from more deserving films. Last year it was Atonement.

Fact of the matter is that if a movie deals directly or indirectly with the Holocaust it's a sure bet to get tons of nominations regardless of merit.

Brad Pitt getting a nomination is a freaking joke. The most endearing part of his character's performance was during the first act. Which by the way was total CGI. They give a nomination to an Animated character but Wall*E gets shafted.

I know it's sacrilege to say this, and the fanboys ain't gonna like it, but Heath Ledger, and to an extent Aaron Eckhart, turned a B- convoluted crime film into a grade A semi masterpiece. Was it better than the reader? Hell yeah. Was it better than Wall*E? Not so fast my friend.

#29 percicles, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  10. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'm excited that Robert Downey Jr got nominated for Tropic Thunder. He was brilliant in that role, but I really didn't expect him to get the nod. Tropic Thunder was a comedy, and I didn't think the Academy would touch a black-face part with a ten-foot pole.

I read recently that he ad-libbed almost all of his lines. Absolutely brilliant. I hope he wins.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dude, c'mon, Wall-e wasnt even one of the best pixar movies ever, no way it should be considered for best movie.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Is that really considered blackface?

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Button isn't THAT great of a movie. 13 nominations is a joke.

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

No love for Slumdog Millionaire? I think they have a good chance of sweeping it all...

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The Wrestler was released like a month and a half ago in NYC.

16. Mr. Brightside

Robert Downey was great in that film, but otherwise the movie was pretty crappy.

17. Mr. Brightside

I felt the Dark Knight was over rated. It lacked in the plot department.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Frank Langella as Richard Nixon was incredible. I hope he wins.

19. dookiester

dookiester Member

i think its fair to say the dark knight is overrated relative to alot of popular opinion that its one of the best movies of all time. but its not so overrated that it doesnt deserve to be recognized as one of the top 5 films of 2008. the dark knight might not be the best movie of all time, but neither are any of the films nominated for best pic. in fact, neither benjamin button nor the reader received anywhere close the level of unanimous critical approval that the dark knight did makes. the dark knight shouldn't be penalized because popular opinion of it has become distorted. the bottom line is that it was better received by both the masses and the critics than any other movie in 2008 (other than wall-e and the wrestler, movies which also deserve noms), while having to live up to greater expectations than any other movie in recent memory.

20. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The Academy has become even more irrelevant then it already was.

And they were talking about raising their ratings...tsssh

Excluding the Dark Knight makes sense how? It was deserving....and it made sense ratings-wise. i just don't get how it works.

Ah well, one more year of not giving a s*** about the Oscars.