1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Circuit City files for bankruptcy protection

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This is probably even more true due to the time of the year it is (tax returns).

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

usually you'll find that the 3rd owner of something like this is the one who finally makes some money. :)

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Crap. I just bought a camcorder from Circuit City. It was a cheap one, but I probably could have waited a week and saved some money.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Then don't. I never stop at the door to show my receipt. Unless they have a reason to stop you specifically and ask to see your receipt (i.e. - they've observed you shoplifting) they have no legal right to detain you. Just walk on by.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

6. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I have seen some stories lately that liquidation companies come in to do the liquidation sales and that the prices really are not that good. I remember going by Comp USA a lot during the liquidation sale and never seeing really great prices, just good prices. however, Steve & Barry's had some great prices.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

just beware on the liquidation sales.

i remember reading an article on cnet when CC closed a bunch of stores back a few months ago that they were selling everything with a no returns policy even if the item was defective you would have to deal with the manufacturer.

Also at least for these stores they had actually marked up prices and then taken a "discount" and even then it was more than what some of the prices were on their own website.

i may go check out the CC i used to work at 3-4 years ago for a little bit and see if anyone I know is going to be in trouble because of this.

8. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Does anyone know what happens with the 3 year protection plan that I bought for my plasma? Is that warranty now worthless?

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

amazon > Best Buy > circuit City

10. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

its' cuz employees steal from circuit city. i had a friend that worked there. on his first day, a customer asked for an advertised item and the computer said it was stocked. after searching a while, he couldn't find the item. the supervisor then told him, that was normal and that you have to minus one or two items off whatever inventory the computer shows.

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

No, it stays the same. I called as soon as I heard the news (I got a 46" and a 42" LCD under that plan!) From what I was told the service plans are underwritten by another company (That obiously will not go under) that will still honor them. The service # stays the same also 1-888-333-2333. Hope I could help.

12. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

If it's the same liquidation company that did Comp then the prices will go up for a while before you notice any real sales..

http://consumerist.com/341677/photos-compusa-raises-prices-for-liquidation-sale

13. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

i doubt we will find any good deals. people are going to be confused over whats on sale vs. whats normal price.

14. AGBee

AGBee Member

Common liquidator tactic is to jack prices up to full retail and then mark down, causing the new price to be higher than before but tricking people into thinking they're getting a deal.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

^^^
    Agree with the above posts. That's also what Virgin Megastore in Grapevine(Dallas) did before shutting down. It was disgusting and annoying to say the least. It's a sale but you've marked up the prices and then discounted them a bit and call it a going out of business sale. :mad:

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The previous few posts are great because they hit the nail on the head with regard to many of these so-called "liquidations". People often go into these stores not really needing anything, but end up buying something because they see stickers on items saying "50% off!". Most don't do any research on what they're buying as a result and think they've gotten a great deal when they've just been screwed over. When CompUSA was liquidating, I came home, price searched on various price engines, checked on many of the prices I saw and realized there were a handful of "deals" and a lot of rip-offs for things I would be interested in. Do your homework before you go in and buy simply because you see a sticker with a supposed markdown.

17. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I wonder if I'll be getting a rebate for an item I bought there that I'm waiting on....

18. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I think it's a shame that Circuit City is going under -- their website was so much better than Best Buy's. They usually had great customer reviews for items, and it was really easy to navigate. Most of the time I buy off of newegg or amazon anyways, but sometimes Circuit City's price was the best, and I'm disappointed they won't at least be around on the web.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hmmm, the computer i'm typing on I bought from CC not terribly long ago -- I guess if it breaks i'm mailing it to the factory.

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

What happens to the TV I bought from CC? I bought the 3 year warranty, what happens to the "at-home" technician visit? Will I have to send it in to the producer (Sony)? What about minor problems where normally a technician visit might fix it, like faulty buttons, etc etc. If the whole tv broke down (screen not working anymore) I would definitely send it in but I have a couple nagging minor problems with my tv now and I don't know what to do with it.