1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust yao in the 4th?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jan 14, 2009.

Tags:
?

Do you trust yao in the 4th

1. yes

171 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. no

151 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Yes in the 4th....but not in the last 2 minutes....He gets ripped easier than hulk hogan's shirt in the 80's

2. doggfrenzy2

doggfrenzy2 Member

Trsut Yao in the 4th? Absolutely not.
    he's a turnover machine in the 4th plus he will miss easy shots
    it's frustrating to watch Yao in the 4th

3. big11

big11 Contributing Member

I trust him and we need him to score in the 4th. Unfortunately, so does the opposing team coach, by sending 2-3 guys at him! This situation has become very fuzzy at times.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You don't find it ironic that the only way the Lakers won last night was by hitting long distance jump shots?

You know why? There was a 7 foot 6 inch guy in the paint.

Leeb, you are right about a lot of stuff, here you are dead wrong. Yao may not be a superstar player, but he is certainly a clutch one.....

I can't believe people even think this when Rafer blew two freebies...don't look to the horse, look to the man in the saddle.

DD

5. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

Leegigz, I think your remembering the times Dream did and not the times pre 94 when he didn't.

Also, for clarification.

1. Trust Yao in the fourth? yes.
    2. Run the ball through Yao in the last two or three minutes of the game? Depends on how the refs have called the game, how tired Yao is, and what the score was. In the situation last night, I wouldn't.

6. DaDakota

I would rather the ball be in Aaron Brooks hands late....I think putting Rafer in was a mistake last night.

DD

7. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I'm not saying I don't trust him in the 4th. I'm just saying I don't trust him with the last shot.

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

How is going 0-4 and 1 turnover in the 4th clutch in the game? When Yao doesn't have low post position, he's usually a liability late in games. Simple as that. They double him, he holds onto the ball to long and either gets stripped or forces up a bad fadeaway attempt. He tries to pass the ball and usually defenders are able to rotate back to cover their man or he gets stolen because the pass is too predictable. Doesn't it say a lot that Adleman decided to go to RAFER instead?

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I trust him in a situation where we need a 2 to tie or win.. I'd like him on the block for a quick fadeaway...or if single-covered, then a power move

10. DaDakota

So, you are taking one games data and extrapolating out his entire career to decide your opinion.

Interesting.

You do realize that anyone who is willing to take the shot fails more often than not.

I have no issue with Yao...I have an issue with Adelman and who he surrounds him with late....get a penetrationg/finisher in there.....Brooks.....to help ease the pressure.

DD

11. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I dunno, didn't McGrady have the exact same issue in last year's series with Portland? Getting shut out in the fourth quarter?

12. DaDakota

Remember, in the playoffs, he was tired.

DD

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

One game's data but it happens too often. Why do you think threads like YAO IS UNCLUTCH appears?

Yes I know that often clutch players fail but they don't disappear like Yao does so often late in games. Sure he will have some some good 4th qtrs but generally he disappears.

I think the Rockets should find different ways to get Yao the ball instead of just dumping it to him in the mid/high post where he is probably the least effective. I think this will solve some of the problems since Yao gets doubled team out there too often and he doesn't handle it well.

14. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

DD,

I'm not as down on Rafer as others are in that I really don't think he's the anti-christ, but last night... yuck. Your right, he stunk most of the night and shouldn't have had the ball in that situation.

Playing devil's advocate though, a coach would think that his veteran pg whose biggest asset is his knowlege of the offense (my opinion) and vocal leadership would get the ball to the right person at the right time. A coach would assume he'd make his free throws. He's done it before in that situation. I mean if he's the starter you have to assume he'll perfrom like one. Don't you?

15. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

yao is so not clutch in the 4th, besides that shot against portland that ended up in a loss from roys lucky shot

16. DaDakota

Ask Rudy T whom he had in there, Sam Cassell or Kenny Smith....when the 4th quarter is going on, you need triple threat players....not ones that are one dimensional like Rafer.

DD

17. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

Good point.

Although I thought Rudy-T went more with a who is hottest strategy between those two.

Personally, last night I would have run that iso play they run for T-Mac, for either Brooks, or Von Wafer. Drive and dish one to the other.

18. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

As a bigman, he needs to be put in a situation in which he can succeed, 4th quarter or not.

4th quarter just means you need to work a little harder to put him in that situation.

19. GMAC

GMAC Member

Funny, we ASSUME Rafer is going to shoot under 40% FG every night. What makes late-game situations any different?

20. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

i don't think this would've worked while down by 3. this play is ran for TMac only when we're down by 1 or 2 points. they weren't defending the interior the least bit.